Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. gte692h

gte692h Member

woohoo! do i get an A ? ;)

2. (*disco*)

(*disco*) New Member

I'd agree with this statement. Personally, I took dance lessons when I was younger...jazz, ballet and tap. Then I began to go out to clubs....if you like dancing it will come to you after a few hours of watching and listening to the music.

I'm a fan of house music, the more funky the better. And breakbeats...I find they are very sexy to me. I like thick basslines and female vocals too...There are MANY different styles of music out in the electronic scene. They are all awesome to listen to...and dance to.

If you want to explore music check out www.digitallyimported.com ....

Personally, this make me uncofortable when someone does this. I've been approached and complimented, as well I've been approached to ask how to teach people the style of my dancing. I doubt I could teach it, is so ME, its so individual to me...and its my soul speaking through me...listening and responding to the music.

To dance alone at a club is not a big deal. If you live somewhere where its not safe, or you dont feel safe...dance with friends. But take what you know already and listen to the music and you'll find a style. :D

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi (*disco*) Welcome. Nice thoughts in this and a couple other posts. It's nice to have a club dancer on board.

Welcome to the forums. :D

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

gte692h's suggestion about imagining a ball in your hands is good. If you're having trouble with that, you can practice at home using a bit of string or rope. Take a length of string about 6-8 inches long and hold one end of each of your hands. Then move one hand around, relaxing the other so that it is forced to follow it - kind of let it be dragged by the string. That should help you get the feel of fluidly moving your arms.

5. Prof. Pole

Prof. Pole New Member

Hello! I'm new to the forum. Can anyone tell me what grinding is? I'm a bit confused....

6. pygmalion

There are several threads that explain. Try "I have no idea how to dance" which is listed in this index. Or take a look at virtually any R&B or hip-hop video. I can't imagine how you could have missed it. :roll: :lol:

7. Prof. Pole

Prof. Pole New Member

Yes I see!

"Grinding is muscular isolations, which is just what it sounds like -- using just the muscles in your rib cage and your hips."

I do this all the time when I pole dance in an extended form; making a fluid 's' shape with my body (on or off the pole).

8. pygmalion

I don't remember the last time we had an exotic dance discussion. Eight or ten months ago? Longer? We didn't have too many exotic dancers then -- most people here are into partner dance. Meaning dancing with another human being using lead and follow techniques. Nope, at least by the usual DF definition, the pole doesn't count as a partner. (Although some dance partners do feel like inanimate objects, from time to time. Don't quote me on that! :lol: )

9. Prof. Pole

Prof. Pole New Member

Notwithsatnding Latin and ballroom dancing, do you mean that there are not many individual dancers on this forum? I haven't had a chance to look at all the topics (there are so many of them). I'm not so naive that I don't know what you mean by erotic, but there are a few pole dancers trying to break out of the 'image.' As far as I am concerned all dance forms have an erotic tint, some more than others :D :twisted:

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Hi Prof Pole and a belated welcome to DF. I think everyone is an "individual dancer" :wink: including salsa dancers when they are doing shines or a dancer who is just simply dancing with their shadow "shadow dancing". However, if you care to look at the dances mentioned in the different descriptions for each forum, you will see that they are ALL dances that are done inconjunction with a partner.

Of the dancers who have registered and post, I think it would be safe to say that most if not all, have an interest in partner dancing versus solo dancing.

As for the lurkers, I am not in a position to comment :wink:

11. Prof. Pole

Prof. Pole New Member

Hi Pacion and thanks for the welcome. I really enjoyed learning salsa a while back now, but I got so fed up with the notsogood dance partners that I kept getting stuck with, I soon gave it up. My friend, bless him just couldn't get it! I can't dance with someone if they can't lead and none of them could.

Do most 'partner dancers' shadow dance? Is it like a practice dance session. I shadow dance, I just never knew what it was called that until now. What is 'shine' in salsa?

12. Pacion

Pacion New Member

As this is supposed to be an index of previous threads, I will start a new thread and explain there :wink:

13. mz bling

mz bling New Member

how do you grind

like, exactly how do you grind and what are the limits, as in when do you know u've crossed the border

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcoem to df mz bling. I suggest that you read the all the threads linked to here to get the info you seek.

15. Kirjava

Kirjava New Member

Err, I don't know if it's just me, but some of the links don't work. :oops: Like the grinding ones. Does anyone one else have this problem?

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the DF Kirjava! Try that first link again... it should work for you now.

17. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome Kirjava. Hope it worked.

18. Kirjava

Kirjava New Member

Yes, it does work now and thank you! :p

19. Lil Kim

Lil Kim New Member

I need some major help!

I have a semi-formal coming up on March 4th which is only 10 days away. The only dance step I know is the two step and I really would like to learn other things before this dance because I don't want to look really stupid going with a guy who is a really good dancer. (Plus he invited me to the Prom which is a month after this one.) At our school there's alot of grinding and slowdancing. (Which doesnt make alot of sense to me.) Well if anyone can help me if would be great. Thanks a bunch in advance.

I saw all the guys things on grinding but I did see any girl things. And slow dance, it looks like I'm the only girl that doesnt know how to do that.

I only have 10 days so please help!

20. boco

boco New Member

ok, lil kim.. heres the deal

I cant help you very much on freestyle whatever, since i dont kno whow to do it myself... However, slow dancing is easy =D

(maybe its cuz my mom taught me how to slowdance when iw as younger.. awww how sweet)

anyways, i hope someone can correct me if im wrong, or can elaborate on this.. but basically---

1) guy puts his hands on your waist, or around you (lower back, etc)
    2) you put your arms around his neck... like a hug
    3) you sway back and forth with him... slowly, usually to the music (or if you watched happy days, you'll realize that you don't need music to slowdance)

sometimes you'll spin slowly... but its like, step sway step back sway step sway...

hopefully someone else can elaborate on this, unless this paints a nice picture.

what yuo see in the movies, is alot like what it is... so don't worry so much about that.

hope this helps a little

-justin