Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Uhhh. No flaming, please. 8)
  2. pygmalion

Flaming is making nasty or personal remarks about a fellow-poster. If you have problems or disagreements with what's said, just say you disagree. If you want to, you can explain why.

A regular disagreement goes over the line into flaming when, for example, a poster gets called [expletive deleted] anything. No need to go there.

Yeah, I know flaming happens on a lot of boards out there. But the staff at DF tries very, very hard not to let it happen here. Or at least nip it in the bud before it goes too far downhill. (which it can do very, very quickly :( )
  3. macha

macha New Member

For the love of Gods, try to use proper speech. I'd like to think we're all a notch above here, so why can't our communication evoke that, too?
  4. pygmalion

Unfortunately, it looks like IM-type abbreviations may be here to stay. I sincerely hope not. :?

eeek! Better log out for a while. 8)
  5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll second that!!!
  6. macha

macha New Member

I concur- I think it's time for an espresso :lol:
  7. Breathe

Breathe New Member

and I thought flaming had to do with being obviously homosexual at a glance. crap. :p

Oh, and for the record, I am possibly the most dance retarded person on the face of the planet. I am the only one in an extended family of 50+ to lay any claim to dance skillz (*ducks as macha attempts to shoot me for using a non-standard english word*) and that's because I've been analyzing body movement to death for about 15 years now. Dance not coming easily is no excuse - just like "my hips don't move that way" isn't an excuse, or so my first latin teacher taught me. My hips were so bruised for weeks lol (*dodges right as macha shoots lower this time*)....
  8. pygmalion

lol. Thanks for having a sense of humor. 8)

Besides. You have to give macha credit for being consistent. :wink: :lol:
  9. pygmalion

Hmm. I didn't see it that way, aight2sexy, although I can see why you might have. Ignorance just means a lack of knowledge. It's not necessarily an insult, just an observation. I heard Breathe saying that he's surprised at the lack of knowledge shown here, since club dancing is so widespread. *shrug* I guess it's all in the interpretation. :?
  10. macha

macha New Member

ROFLOL!!!

[​IMG]
  11. macha

macha New Member

From a UK dictionary:

It's improper adjective usage to use it as the second entry, but again, tradition seems to become law. Just because that happens, doesn't mean that it's correct.

Also note that rudeness isn't always one-sided. The failure to first read a sign that says "no parking", park there anyway, and THEN say "can I park here" is also rude.

Now we're less "ignorant" of the terminology of "ignorant".

Rudeness or disrespect can also be failure to take proper courtesy with slang, internet abbreviations, or failure to employ normal courtesies such as searching for the answer to a question that has already been answered before posting it... several times.

I honestly recommend that everyone read a modern etiquette book JUST once. I have one or two, and really, they're refreshing reading. You learn things about people you never knew by learning to interpret mannerisms, gestures, etc. Etiquette books aren't for people who want to "be better than everyone," or "put on airs"... they're for people who want to be more effective communicators. Etiquette isn't just sitting at a dinner table properly. It's being able to properly communicate thanks, dissatisfaction, distress, confusion, happiness, humor, and so much more. It makes one better informed on what and how to choose to do or say something.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do, whether it means speaking normally or discussing sticking your butt out so someone can rub their crotch against it in maneuvers that should be performed behind closed doors in the privacy of one's home while set to music.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This thread is quickly moving in a direction that we do not encourage here on Dance-Forums.

There are a few new posters that haven't quite gotten the grasp of how we do things here yet.

But let me refresh everyones eye with a quick overview of our guidlines:

We do not flame
    We do not gossip
    We do not get snippy and rude
    We are respectful of others and thier opinions
    We try to engage in thoughtful conversation

Any deviation from these simply guidlines may result in the deletion of posts, threads, or even username.
    Tread Lightly.
  13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

:!: :!: :!:
  14. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Hear, hear! Df is the most civilised message board I've ever been on (I no longer visit any others), and it's about time that was recognised.

Rosa :)
  15. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I'm *not* taking sides here, but I can confirm that in current British slang the word "ignorant" is used to mean "rude", "nasty" or "disrespectful."

That's over and above its original meaning, of course.

Rosa :)
  16. pygmalion

It has that meaning, colloquially, in African-American culture, as well.

But saying "you people are ignorant!" (the colloquial meaning) is a whole lot different than saying, "I'm surprised at the level of ignorance of ..." (the dictionary meaning) for example. Context does come into play, IMO.

A whole lot of wars have been started, I'm guessing, over a lack of common understanding of commonly used words and phrases. *shrug*
  17. fireflame

fireflame New Member

is it ok to get an erection while grinding?
  18. pygmalion

Yes and no. (See why you shouldn't ask closed questions? :wink: :lol: )
  19. pygmalion

It's a bell curve (just like everything else in human experience, IMO)

A small number of women will be happy and flattered if you get an erection while dancing with them. A small number of women on the opposite side of the distribution will be shocked and outraged at your uncouth behavior and lack of control. Most women, IMO, will be in the middle somewhere -- understanding that these things happen, while not necessarily being interested in helping you relieve the pressure, if that makes any sense. 8)
  20. emma456

emma456 New Member

hi, i like dancing and i mainly just dance @ home in my room, :? wen i go out to a club i want to dance but 4 sum reason i just carnt and i end up sitting out wile my friends go and dance. last time i went i started to dance at the end but then we had 2 leave.i no im just being stupid but
    please could u tell me sumink to boost my confidence so ill be able to dance next time or sumink. i dont no if i can dance, i dont think im to bad, but some people say that white people have no rythem, so that kinda puts me off aswell, i think i kinda have but i dont wana dance and do sumink stupid coz that will just proove people right. i no all what i have jus written sound kinda sad and perthetic but i duno wot 2 do