Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

For one thing, stop putting yourself down for feeling like almost everybody does, at first. Just relax. If you're above the drinking age, have a pint (or whatever you drink) -- just one. Then get up on one of those songs everybody dances to, so the floor will be crowded, and you won't feel conspicuous.

After that, it gets easier. :wink:

Welcome to the forums, emma456 :D

2. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Hi emma456. I'm sorry that this is bothering you. The only thing I can say is, sometimes you have to just jump right in and do it. If you can force yourself to get up there and dance once, it will be easier the second time, easier still the third, and so on.

Another thing to think about is, can you find an environment where you can get up and dance in public that's perhaps a little less intimidating to you? Office parties, other people's weddings, family parties, karaoke night at the local social club (where everyone will be too busy being appalled by the singers to be appalled by you) and the like?

3. macha

macha New Member

It's sometimes fun to joke about white folks and rhythm, but never take it seriously. If you did, you'd have to take into consideration every stereotype.

J and I haven't been "public" yet, as there is no venue for us. But in the hall of the barn at the horse show, at the exhibitor party on the side with the music going, etc. we do a few basics and a turn, just for fun. We're horrible and we know it, but people will say things like "oh, that looks fun! Do you dance?", and be really kind, even supportive, and we smile politely and say "not yet".

Not too hard after you get over your initial "we stink. We look stupid. People should just shoot us" complex. Worse yet, we're big hefty people- we don't have an LOD- we have a FWOD (freeway)

4. pygmalion

Good point, macha. One thing a lot of people who are nervous about dancing don't see is that relatively few other people dance at all. So loosen up, relax and have fun. chances are nobody's watching. And even if they are, they'll think you look great.

Good luck, emma. 8) :D

5. xFeZx

xFeZx New Member

Grinding should not be considered dancing

I'm 15 male and I hate grinding
    I'm a clubber and that's probably why
    Grinding is not a dance, nor is it an art
    It's nota style of dance, it's not a style alone
    It's just holding someone and shaking ur hips together
    Personally, it disgusts me because ur doing something sexual without any real feelings or good intentions for the other person
    I think that if u want to dance, then DANCE!
    Let's see those moves dudes, comon!
    Break it down, w/e style man
    white boy, gangsta, urban, latino i don't care
    but that's dancing cuz it's an art and it actually takes skills
    i wanna know what u guys think about my opinion
    so please reply
    peace urbody ;)
    FeZ

6. macha

macha New Member

I love you, and someday, you'll make someone a fine babydaddy.

I could almost weep- there IS hope afterall! Sparks of reasoning cropping up in today's polluted, corrupted youth... *sniffle*... it's overwhelming...

*begins sobbing incoherently and snatches new young nongrindinggeniusfellow into a crushing, smothering, bosomy hug*

Ah buhleeeve in the cheeyundrins o' tha fuchah!

Teach dem wail an' let dem leeeeeEEEEEEEAD tha waaaayah....

Show dem awl de booty day possess in-SAAAAHAAAAYEED....

It's beautiful! Just beautiful!

7. xFeZx

xFeZx New Member

HAHA ty

yea so, ty for ur backing me up
    don't know why u go all emotional/religious on me but w/e ty neways
    my point is just that, grinding is not dancing simply put
    now club-dancing (aka: the moves) is dancing
    ie: omarion, usher, jlo, shakira, and all the other urban/hip-hop dancers
    k? that's dancing point final
    please respond
    FeZ

8. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Yay for xFezx

Gotta admit though, I do grind sometimes, but only with the man I'm married to, and only with style :wink:

Club dancing is fun. I like mixing it up, doing incongruous things, just playing with it. It's not about being impressive or showing anyone my moves... it's about having fun and letting the music get inside you. For me, anyway.

9. pygmalion

ROTFLMAO! :lol: :lol:

Edit: What makes me laugh is your transliteration of the song. Hilarious. Not sure which version you've translated, though, since neither George Benson's nor Whitney Houston's (the two most popular, I think) uses Ebonics. But that's neither here nor there. 8)

And, btw, your sense of humor is ... humorous. :lol: :lol: You crack me up. 8)

10. chandra

chandra New Member

ok, so i agree completly (sp?)
    Specially when you get three chicks grinding one guy, or like 8 people in a row all grinding. Its just not tasteful. Hmmm... So many teenagers dance like this though. There must be some merit. What is it I wonder?

Out of curiosity, whats w/e stand for? I figured TY was thank you right? I feel dumb- i dont know the common internet acronyms.

11. pygmalion

Whatever? :?

12. chandra

chandra New Member

thats gotta be it yeah :oops: silly me.

13. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Sounded like Whitney to me. Not ebonics, just bizarre pronunciation mangled by her vocal gymnastics. That woman always oversings.

14. pygmalion

Re: Grinding should not be considered dancing

A lot of people here share your view of grinding -- that it's not actually dancing. Scroll through a couple threads in this index and you'll see. 8)

As for me? Eh. I'm firmly in the live and let live camp. People who do club dancing are cool by me. But then, so are people who grind or do ballroom or line dance or salsa. You name it. It's all good, from my perspective. To each his own. 8)

15. chandra

chandra New Member

but why? I mean- im fine with it if people grind, all the more power to them.
    but why? Whats appealing about it to them. I love intellectual understanding peoples reasons to do things, and this ones got me stumped.

16. pygmalion

Uh. Because it appeals to them? Because it's one of the most popular dances out there right now? Because it's been around a really, really long time? (The first time I ever saw/did a grinding-type dance was over twenty years ago, btw, and I'm betting it wasn't new then.) Because many, if not most dances, have an element of sexual pantomime, not just grinding? So why is grinding so repugnant? And why do people who choose to grind have to justify themselves and validate their choices with others? Eh.

Live and let live, IMO. 8)

17. chandra

chandra New Member

its not that they need to justify themselves, its just a personal quirk of mine. I enjoy intellectually understanding things. But i guess its one of those thigns that cant be intellectualized. Some people enjoy it. Linke windsurfing. Some people enjoy it. not me. But i totally see how some people can enjoy it.
    i guess its the same for this form of dance. Ive worked out the intellectual aspect for myself, and now im going to shut up. :doh:

18. macha

macha New Member

19. weezle

weezle New Member

Newbie - Want to learn to club dance

First off, I would like to say Hi to everyone here. Seems like an interesting place so far.

I'm here because I can't dance :( In the past this had never been an issue for me, because I didn't enjoy clubs much anyway, so I never bothered to go. I'm not sure if I didn't enjoy clubs because I just don't like the atmosphere, or if it was because I knew I couldn't dance and didn't want to make a fool of myself. But either way I avoided them, and had no reason to go, seeing as I didn't need to meet girls because I was in a relationship for 4 years. Well I became single again about 6 months ago, and I think it's time for me to get out into the club scene and try to meet some new people. Plus there is this girl that I really like who loves to go clubbing and dancing, and she always invites me along but I never go cause I can't dance. But I would love to be able to go along with her.

So I turn to you guys for help. I would like to learn the basics of club dancing so I can at least survive in a nightclub. What kind of dance do you classify club dancing as? I'm not talking the grinding stuff that people go crazy with, but I'm not talking freestyle-out-on-your-own type dancing either. Just the basic club dance. I read the stricky at the top about club dancing, but that seems to focus mostly on the grinding as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help.

20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df weezle. You really have to be more specific rather then insisting on just club dance and not grinding. There is hip hop, trance, punk rock, 80s...