Club Dancing Index (Includes Grinding)

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Apr 6, 2004.

1. weezle

weezle New Member

Ah. Well I'm not insisting on not grinding, I just didn't think that it was a major part of club dancing. Is that pretty much what people do if they aren't solo dancing?

I'm gonna guess the style would be Hip Hop then. Just because of the style of the music they play.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You totally crack me up. No lie and no exaggeration. 8) :D Life is a more sarcastic, a much funner and more hilarious place because you're here. You rock. :wink: :lol:
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

4. sseleulC

sseleulC New Member

Yeah could anyone help me out on this area too? I understand and can do grinding well. I have rythm. But I have no idea at what else to do. The clubs I perfer play rap music. I basically need help on dancing solo while looking for a girl to dance with and what dances to do when I'm not doing grinding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  5. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Welcome to the Forums!

Ditto! The non-partner dance forum is growing and we'd love to have you join us. There is a section completely devoted to hip hop and breakdancing...much of which can be used at clubs.

Hope to see you on the message boards!
  6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're looking for hiphop and/or jazz/modern classes. Check out what your area has to offer and sign up for a couple of classes to see how it goes. Classes offer you technique, balance, smooth movements and a variety of steps and combos you can use when freestyling. :D

Twilight Elena
  7. macha

macha New Member

Thanks. I know my own mind and mouth get me into trouble all the time. It's really hard for "freaks" to integrate seamlessly into society. I've tried, but the best I can do is visit it from time to time, I guess, Lol.
  8. tacad

tacad New Member

Someone has to hold up a mirror to society. Say a non-conformist? On the other hand this person has to visit society from time to time so they know which part of society deserves the mirror.
  9. macha

macha New Member

I should have just called myself a moron and been done with it, I guess. And, if you don't want me to visit, please say so- I know at least ebay still loves me,
  10. DiD

DiD New Member

looks like its been a couple of weeks since since people would reply to this thread

u guys got a new case (err me) ya well its ur typical case jus like fenixes i guess but this time i only got a day to get some results

just ended 2005 year n lot of parties goin on ( hip hop R & B.. the modern stuff) n problem is still got no clue 2 wat to do on the dance afraid id make a fool of myself

this is a dude in distresss callin out for HEEEEEEEEEEEELP
    thanks in advance :)
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

12. tacad

tacad New Member

Sorry, I should not have gotten in the middle of your business. My mistake.

Just to clarify, I was not implying that you should leave nor was I implying that I want you to leave.
  13. WishICouldDance

WishICouldDance New Member

Need Some Moves To Help Me Look Smooth & Relaxed At Club

Hello everybody.

I'm a young 35 year old. I'm dating and in love with a 27 year old girl/woman who's in great shape (ex-gymnast), teaches pilates, and loves to dance. she doesn't pretend to be that great...but she really is good. the problem - - - I CAN'T DANCE!!!

let me explain. actually, i'm a drummer who grew up listening to a lot of funk, early hip-hop and jazz. so rhythm i've got. i'm used to PROVIDING the beat that makes people move...but not used to MOVING MYSELF.

i've never been much of a fan of the club scene, so i haven't really been around people who can dance. well now, my girlfriend is really making me kinda wish i knew some moves. she likes to go to a club or lounge now and then so she can dance a little bit. i want to go, too, but i just feel out of my element. i don't want to look like a white geek who can't move (which i am, though). BUT - - - in the early eighties i did do a little breaking here and there and was actually pretty OK.

so here's what i want:
    i want a handful of basic moves that anyone can do at a club playing basic music to dance to. we won't really be frequenting specifically HIP-HOP clubs, cuz i'm not a huge fan. I also like a place that throws in a bit of trip-hop, electronica, techno, acid and funk. i like some euro-house and i do like a bit of hip-hop, but more like "GORILLAZ" style of music ("Feel Good Inc.").

basically, i want to look calm, collected, confident and in control. i don't like jumping all around and one big problem i have is not knowing WHAT TO DO WITH MY HANDS.

are there some basic moves that apply to any type of basic club with cool music???

PLEASE HELP ME KEEP THIS GREAT NEW GIRLFRIEND OF MINE ENTERTAINED. i want to do something i've never been really good at, because i like the person i'll be going out and doing it with.

THANX TO ANY AND EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    SORRY ABOUT THE LONG THREAD.
    NOW, PLEASE - - - HELP!!! I WANNA START DANCING!

Some examples of the STYLE of music that i'd like to dance to:
    Feel Good Inc. - GORILLAZ
    No Phone - CAKE
    Move Your Body - EIFFEL 65
    Disco Infiltrator - LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
    Rock the House - CHEMICAL BROTHERS
    Groove is in the Heart - DEE LITE
    Around the World - DAFT PUNK
    Dear Can - !!! (CHK.CHK.CHK.)
    Hella Good - NO DOUBT
    Spoon - CIBO MATO
    One More Time (Celebrate) - DAFT PUNK
  14. discovery

discovery New Member

My two cents:

I'm not sure from your post whether you wanted to learn how to partner dance (i.e., dance with your girlfriend, making her turn etc.) or freestyle on your own (i.e., dancing by yourself or perhaps dancing standing in front of your girlfriend but not really leading her to dance). My guess is that you meant the latter, freestyle dancing. For that I would say step-touch is your friend. Basically it's a four-count pattern. For example, take a step to the side with your left foot (1) and then lightly tap your right foot on the floor next to where you just stepped with your left foot (2). Do the same thing to the other side for 3, 4 switching feet. Rinse and repeat.

If you meant partner dancing then I would find a ballroom dance studio that teaches hustle and try to learn that. If the word hustle conjures up images of white polyester suits and butterfly collars don't worry, it is a versatile dance that fits right at home with a lot of current club music and will not look outdated at all.
  15. Big10

Big10 Member

:shock: Doing Hustle dancing to something by Gorillaz or the Chemical Brothers? That 27-year-old will think she's dancing with her grandfather! :lol:

However, I do agree with your advice about the step-touch thing. It really does work for any type of freestyle dancing as long as you're on beat.

For the hands, I would say clench them into fists. Bend your elbows so that your fists are in front of you and somewhere around waist-level. Keep your shoulders relaxed enough so that your fists/arms swing a little bit, but not too much. The right balance is difficult to put into words, since you don't want to look too stiff, either. For a little variety, you can clap your hands every once in awhile, too.

The suggestions I just wrote aren't enough to start winning dance contests, but hopefully it's enough to give you a little more confidence in what you're doing, and you won't feel like you're embarassing your girlfriend on the dance floor.

I'm honestly curious about the results of our advice, so please report back how things turned out.
  16. discovery

discovery New Member

Well I'm not sure about "Rock the House" or "Feel Good Inc." as I haven't heard those songs specifically (or if I have, I didn't know it), but Move Your Body - EIFFEL 65, Groove is in the Heart - DEE LITE, Around the World - DAFT PUNK, One More Time (Celebrate) - DAFT PUNK all fit with hustle. I can't think of a better partner dance to go with that kind of music. If it has a driving even beat in 4/4 time in the range of about 25-35mpm then there's a good chance you can hustle to it. The other options would be west coast swing, salsa, or cha cha but I don't think those don't fit as well.

Of course I'm not saying that partner dancing of any kind is the best for his situation. Most people don't partner dance at a nightclub. But some do, and as I said, I wasn't sure whether he wanted partner dancing or freestyle. Big10, I'm not sure if you dance hustle yourself but it is a common misperception that hustle is a dance relegated to the 70's when in fact it works pretty well today.
  17. Big10

Big10 Member

Actually, yeah, that was mostly where I was coming from.

I don't do Hustle, personally, but I've seen a couple of professional demonstrations as well as a few people here and there at banquets, galas, etc. Honestly, though I don't think I've ever seen anybody doing it who is currently under the age of 30. I got the impression from WishICouldDance's post that he wants to "fit in" as best he can with people in their mid-20s in a nightclub environment -- and my personal opinion is that Hustle won't do that.

If he wants to try a partner dance that wouldn't look too unusual, then perhaps a simple Merengue would work. I have a couple of friends who will Merengue to anything after a few drinks.... :D
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

bachata's another good one, after a few drinks ... depending on whom you're dancing with. :lol: :lol: :raisebro: :lol:
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Make a move to the bar and grab a drink to help you chill, then you might relax a bit on the dance floor! 8)
  20. macha

macha New Member

Before I actually learned some basic steps, I would do an in-place left-left-right-left, right-right-left-right, ad lib that I learned from a Louisville salsa club once. I was also thin, so it probably helped that I was shaking my rump, I doubt if I could get away with it now, LOL