Collegiate Competition Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by footyjammies, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

:eek:? Is the number written on your skin?
  2. footyjammies

footyjammies New Member

I have seen competitions where the numbers are made from card stock and when people dance multiple events consecutively, the numbers get torn up and become unusable.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That is because boys neglect to tape the corners where the pins go through.
  4. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Better invigilation, both in terms of more stringent enforcement and more accessible resources to check that figures are within syllabus and clothing matches costume restrictions.
    Larinda McRaven and dlliba10 like this.
  5. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Vichet used to duct tape the entire back of all of his numbers and that worked like magic.
    dlliba10 and Bailamosdance like this.
  6. nikkitta

Does anyone know the source for those plastic sleeve things? Or are they home-made?

Maybe Brian from TTL can get his hands on some and sell them at the collegiate comps he vends.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I would say that the biggest overarching problem that can occur in comps generally is lack of organization/efficiency. This key problem bleeds into a lot of other things, such as running behind schedule, deck captains/whoever making mistakes, and so on.
    MissSongbird likes this.
  8. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

AFAIK, they are just run of the mill document protectors, available at any office supply store.
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've pinned on a gentleman have holes punched in the corners with a paper punch--if you put the pins THROUGH the holes (ie not using the pin to jab a hole in the paper), and pin it so the is some freedom of movement (ie NOT flat tight against the gentleman's back) they don't seem to wear out of tear. I'm assuming this is numbers made of the usual card stock, not printed on lighter paper.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree with DOI

you can pin me anytime:eek:
  11. nikkitta

I'll add a peeve: (after looking at some photos of the Harvard comp), Standard ladies whose left elbow is lifted to that it "hovers" above the gentleman's right elbow. Sure, hanging off a guy is bad, but leaving that much air space between your respective arms looks bizarre.

(edited my comments on Silver Smooth FT vs. Intl because I'm having a brain fart)
    smidra86 and dbk like this.
  12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Bringing the topic back to competitions, I guess one thing that could be improved is lack of invigilation at many college comps. I understand that many comps can't afford to hire a dedicated invigilator, but judges could be reminded to keep the syllabus in mind when placing couples.
    suburbaknght likes this.
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Recently I've been to a couple of college comps that do not have sufficient seating - good for them that more competitors and spectators are attending, but sometimes you have to upgrade the venue to a bigger place. I realize this is difficult for many teams, but something to keep in mind. Having about 50 chairs around the floor is insufficient, leading to many people having to stand around the perimeter of the room, which could even constitute a fire code violation.

Despite my complaints, I have a lot of fun at college comps :) There's something more community- and team-oriented about them, and just so many people are having the time of their lives.
    dbk likes this.
  14. footyjammies

footyjammies New Member

Just wanted to put out something that I think could go a long way in terms of what has been discussed regarding invigilation. Smaller competitions tend to stray away from an invigilator due to budget constraints and the sort and sometimes even larger ones don't have them for one reason or another. What many couples don't realize is that they have the ability to go up to the dais and ask the chair of judges "hey, I've been seeing couple #___ doing this figure and that figure which i don't believe are in this syllabus. Can you keep an eye on them?" Chairs do not mind enforcing syllabus but there are 12-20 couples on a floor at a time and the chair cannot watch all of them.

Have you noticed this is a too many people too few seats problem or a there's stuff on the chair and i feel bad taking an occupied seat problem?
  15. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Drives me nuts!!! Half the seats end up occupied by people's things! MIT provides racks to hang things on, and it's fantastic.... of course, MIT isn't lacking in seating, either.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Hmm that probably contributes but even if all the seats were emptied of stuff, there weren't enough for everyone that might have wanted a chair.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are you chastising the ladies for lifting their left arms, or the gents for having droopy right arms?
    dlliba10 likes this.
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good question
  19. bia

bia Well-Known Member

It's also possible that the ladies have been taught a one-size-fits-all left hand position, rather than a set of options depending on relative heights and arm lengths. When I first started dancing with DH, I had to make a significant change to my hand position -- even when he doesn't droop, there is no way for me to prevent a gap between our arms if I put my hand where I used to think it had to be.
  20. nikkitta

In the Harvard comp photos I was looking at last night, it was the ladies lifting their elbows. The leaders looked OK for the most part. I do agree a lady should do her best to maintain proper position even if the leader has drooping issues.

And I am talking about a vertical gap in case that wasn't clear, not a horizontal space between the angled elbows. Given the offset position and the long elegant arms of many ladies, that is often unavoidable.