Comp Organization--Stuff We Like - Stuff We Don't Like

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, Sep 25, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

speaking of things I can do without: trophies for top student...except for where there is a limit to how much one can dance, top student is just an award for having spent the most money...i don't want a five dollar trophy for having spent thousands at a comp...give me a discount or a gift certificate...
    danceronice and pygmalion like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am also truly grateful to organizers who set up food concessions near the ballroom...it is a big deal for those of us who dance a great deal
    debmc likes this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I like having a big sign somewhere that displays what heat the dancers are currently on. You are always hearing people in the ballroom ask "What heat is this?".
    I also like having a big board with the recalls so that there isn't a cluster around the deck captain looking to see if you have been recalled.
    Mr 4 styles and fascination like this.
  4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Good things:
    Projected schedule and recalls
    Keeping the ballroom relatively cool temperature-wise
    Fun dance events (more relevant to collegiate)
    Judges either moving around somewhat or at least spreading themselves around the floor
    Convenient on-deck area
    Tables for teams to put their things
    Changing rooms (so you don't have to change in the restrooms); one comp had individual rooms for each of the larger college teams in attendance, which was really nice
    Convenient food options
    Good MC
    Easily accessible water
    The o2cm palm pilot system, when it works correctly
    Free programs
    Shoe & clothing vendor

Bad things:
    Moving events around from the schedule drastically, e.g. one from the end of the day to the middle of the day.
    Running very behind schedule (or ahead of schedule, without warning)
    Limited seating
    Calling out numbers for recalls
  5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Calling out numbers for recalls? You're saying you'd rather see them posted somewhere?
    (Just curious. :cool: )
  6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Haha, yup!
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LOL usually its the judges picking up the wrong device and i think its on ipads now
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

totally agree the value of this can be underrated!!

we cant have John Depalma at every event.... can we???
  9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Yes, posting is more accurate and you're less likely to miss your number. Also you will have adequate time to get ready to get on the floor.
    pygmalion likes this.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Posting numbers is a common collegiate and amateur practice. NDCA and professional events either call them out or post them, depending on the size of the event.

I actually preferred to have them called out as we enter the next round. The suspense of standing in line waiting, as each number is called out, counting down to make sure there are enough spots left for your number to be read, is an amazing feeling. Especially at the larger more prestigious events. It is part of the energy.
    j_alexandra and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

sort of like... ready.. aim... fire??;)
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat? ;)
    Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

defeet.... as least your not falling off a ski jump sideways
  14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Really bummed that an upcoming competition has a $30/person admission fee to the ballroom. Perhaps I've been spoiled doing mostly collegiate comps, but that seems super expensive. Especially because it is in my hometown so I would like my parents to come watch, but I"m not sure if they both will for that much money :(
    Not really sure why it is that expensive- it seems to me like even other non-collegiate competitions don't cost that much to get into- more in the $10-15
    latingal likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

30 isnt that hi sorry
    danceronice likes this.
  16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

To watch a collegiate comp, it is, unless it's a special event like a Pro show.
    Most are free; some are maybe $5.
  17. Mr 4 styles

i just heard Lucy .. "it should be five cents...."

not everything can be five cents

i think llamasaarefuzzy was not referring to a collegiate comp if she was i stand corrected but for an NDCA event that is par for the course
    pygmalion likes this.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yep, for an NDCA event I'd expect to pay $25-30 for day sessions, $35+ for evening, especially Saturday as that's usually when there'll be a pro show. I think it's reasonable in most cases (though I do think expecting competitors who've already paid entry fees to pay again is a little much. Spectators, though, need tickets, if only to keep ballrooms from being open to anyone in the hotel who wanders by who can steal stuff.)
    pygmalion likes this.
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yes, DOI is correct in that it is an NDCA comp. I did suspect that I was just spoiled by how collegiate comps really make an effort to keep everything super affordable. Although, I just got back from a USA dance comp and I don't think it cost that much for spectators. Sigh. At this rate, I'll probably be dancing collegiate forever! (Although between masters and doctoral studies, I got a minimum of 6 years of legitimate collegiate dancing left:))
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Personally I think that entrance in to the day sessions at NDCA comps have gotten a little out of hand....but then again, I don't pay the bills. I don't mind asking my friends who want to come see me dance in a day session to pay $15 or maybe $20 (though that's pushing it), but asking them to pay $25-$30 to see me dance? I tell them to just stay home unless they are super close to me.

If the day sessions were cheaper, I'd ask more of my friends to come see me dance. As for the evening sessions? Well unless they're ballroom or DWTS fans I tell them forget it - way too expensive for them to come see me dance.
    jjs914, llamasarefuzzy and pygmalion like this.