Comp Organization--Stuff We Like - Stuff We Don't Like

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Yes, there needs to be a happy medium, I think. I really don't want my teacher telling me I *have* to wear a particular dress. But, if he points out reasons why this one in particular might not be good, then I'm all ears. Ultimately, I take the responsibility for my appearance and he can give me a year's worth of "I told you so's". I can be a little stubborn (no comments, Michelle).

It is a learning experience with each competition. Hopefully nothing you missed caused any problem or negative experience. And I know there are some good websites out there (I'll have to go search now) about preparing for a comp, what a judge is looking for, etc.
  2. alemana

alemana New Member

OH YAH! good one, michelle. at USDSC the dressing area had no mirrors, and the hotel's bathrooms were DARK, way too dark to see anything.

guess that's what you get at a 'luxury' ' spa and hotel.'
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we got the tapes of all the other heats...just not the scholarship...but b/c it went so well and was against stiffer competition and there were some interesting events that transpired I wanted it as well...he and I have both sat and reviewed the tapes of the heats extensively and it was he who suggested that I call and inquire about a panoramic.....but anyhow, you live and you learn....I don't think it neccessary to say this is overarching evidence of consistent mediocrity...and yes I am certain , as in all other endeavors, that there will be plenty more to learn in the future
  4. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

My studio is actually pretty good about giving info on presentation and videos and such - I was very prepped for my first comp.

To fascination's comment - one of the studio teachers (but not my teacher) was very irritated with my slightly frizzy hair and literally shoved me into a chair to fix it. I thought that was pretty amusing. But i appreciated it.

as to the actual topic... i hate poor taping jobs! My last comp had a big issue keeping me (in a big bright bubblegum pink dress) in the frame. and half the time my partner had us stuck in a corner! If i ran a comp, i'd probably want references and samples.
  5. fascination

overall, I thought they did a great job teaching me how to walk out how to come into dance hold , how to manage errors....and even little stuff like using the eyelash glue on the earrings to keep them on (a very good tip BTW) and hocky tape for the shoes....but I was really surprised to find out how limited the number of cameras was for the scholarship and why just for that and not the other heats....anyhow, I have a comp in a week and a half so I imagine those old tapes will be less relavant once I have the new ones to pour over....
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've twice had the experience of paying for a tape, only to find out that I wasn't actually on it because the camera guy shot from the other end of the floor. :evil:
  7. mamboqueen

Don't feel bad; I have a tape from my last comp of another competitor. If I could find her, I'd gladly send it on...they must have mixed up our numbers.
  8. fascination

you don't even want to get me started on the quality of the tape or the lack of response when attempting to contact them or the ridiculous price...I'm in a feisty mood to begin with
  9. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

If this happened to me I would confront the video guy at next comp. There are like 2 or 3 different vendors, so eventually you see the same ones again.
  10. saludas

saludas New Member

Another thing, then - I DON'T like comps that hire mediocre video people. And, pissy video people - there's one lady that is NEVER in a good mood and is very confrontational. Perhaps it's midlife whatever, but give it a rest - have a granddaughter do the job if it is so difficult to be nice - we have enough stress without that...
  11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I like comps that have online registration :)
  12. fascination

i like comps that post who their judges are going to be online and who afterward post the scoresheets online
    jerseydancer likes this.
  13. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

second that. Especially when they print the placements you got from every judge.
    jerseydancer likes this.
  14. fascination

only if they list the placements from every judge...IMO
  15. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A couple of other likes and dislikes:

Good floor captains who are conscientious about checking off all of the couples, keeping things moving along, and alerting the organizers if someone is missing. A floor captain can make or break a comp, in my experience.

A good variety of music. I actually enjoy hearing things at comps that I haven't heard before. (I wish there was some way to get a playlist after the session, but I realize that isn't very practical for most setups.)

A good mix of age groups and people from different locations.

A good bar nearby. :wink:

Dislikes:

Bad sound systems. I have a hard time getting into the music when it comes out sounding like a tin can on a string. It's a distraction. This also goes for sound systems that feed back all the time.

Venues where they wax the floors. (With real wax, I mean.)

Comps that can't stay on schedule.

Comps that can't compute their results in a timely manner. Last year, at one comp I attended, we all left the comp without any results whatsoever! They mailed us our results later.

Indecipherable entry forms. Some of the comp entry forms I've seen have been nightmares. You know, circle this, underline that, draw a box around you zip code, add your cat's age to the number of letters in your mother's maiden name, punch three holes in the paper with your pencil, shout "I HAVE", etc. :roll:
  16. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

How about charging the same price for a "standing room only" ticket versus a "seat". I never really understood that one.

It definitely bites when they charge friends and family--non dancers--full ticket price to come and watch. I mean if you have 6 friends come to see you dance, you may as well have gone to dinner. Actually, I hate that they charge you to dance in the event and then an admission price to "get in the ballroom".

Not having food and drinks available at the venue. Sorry to name names, but each year the Commonwealth Classic is held at the Lowell Auditorium in, duh, Lowell, MA. I dance Smooth which is held on Sunday afternoons. The concession stand is always closed. I cannot run 7 blocks down the street to order food, wait for it to be prepared and bring it back all while wearing my ballgown and waiting to dance! This venue is in a primarily business district so restaurants are closed on the weekends since there are no customers. I cannot ever go 5 hours without eating, let alone during a competition. I try to bring food to eat but it just never seems to work out. You can't even get a hot cup of tea! Arrggghhhh!
  17. mamboqueen

*idea* Let's set up a little food concession stand so we can pay for all the dumb admission charges!
  18. :shock: :lol:
  19. i like when the seating that is available will actually allow you to see the floor. novel idea, i guess.

unless you get there 4 hours early to secure a good spot or pay exorbitant vip prices, you're pretty much stuck jumping up and down or tip-toeing all night to see the most popular events. the hotel staff won't let you stand on chairs, either. :?
  20. saludas

saludas New Member

Dislike:

Entry forms that describe events and categories that are bizzarre or redundant. Why can't there be a standard for these kinds of things?