Comp Organization--Stuff We Like - Stuff We Don't Like

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, Sep 25, 2005.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

One more before I go to lunch:

A dislike: Heats that are less than a minute long. I've been to a couple of comps where they tried to get back on schedule by shortening the heats to 40 or 45 seconds. It's really irritating when the music ends before you can finish your first combination!

2. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

A deal breaker for me is whether or not they take Amex. We use it for everything since there's basically no limit and the service from Amex is exceptional.

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

So not only do you insist that they take a credit card, you insist that they take a minor credit card... and I thought having to get a money order to mail in with an entry was bad.

4. Chris Stratton

This is exactly why pro-am competitions will never be affordable... hold one at one of the few real alternatives to a hotel venue and people complain about the lack of facilities. Not that these things aren't annoying, but it's important to realize that one of the reasons that hall still exists is because it's in the middle of nowhere - if it were somewhere nicer, it would have been turned into something else or not be available for competition use.

Which reminds me, I need to figure out what other than that horrid diner is open in Hackensack on Sundays...

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i like when i can register without sending the payment and pay on the comp day.

I also like a small scholarship for winning/making final in amateur events.

I don't like too expensive competitions.

6. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

As a amatter of fact, yes. I don't do business with companies that *don't* take Amex. And it isn't a "minor credit card", it's a charge card. An example of a minor credit card would be a store card or discover (ick).

7. saludas

saludas New Member

Two reasons why establishments do not take Amex:

1. They charge an extra .5 percent of the transaction (which is extremely lame, considering a $100 charge is the difference of $0.50 between accepting, say, mastercard and Amex. Anyone who is that cheesy does not deserve consideration).

2. The terms are more stringent with Amex (for instance, as you know, Amex has no minimum charges if someone staels you number, gives you back 100% of any disputed charges, and takes action agains establishments that do not meet the terms' specifics).

Both are good reasons why you should NOT patronize non-Amex accepting venues...

8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i like that too + online registration

and I just remembered someone was telling a story how it was not permitted to video one's own amateur events in the ballroom and people had to use vendors. I would hate that.

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

i didn't think it was that bad

of course, I'm not sure we'd be able to find it again... or are you talking about some other place?

10. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I can't help you out with the Hackensack dilemma but I do have a comment about the venue in Lowell. It's actually a very nice place and a profitable one. Burn the Floor has been there and it hosts a ton of concerts from every genre. Too many to list since I don't go to so many of them anymore because I value my hearing more than I did as a teenager.

Holding the event there is the same situation if you were to hold the event at a hotel in the Financial district in Boston (or insert any city name here). After 7 pm on any night it's a ghost town. Ditto on the weekends. Sandwich and coffee shops are only open Monday-Friday because that's when the business is there.

I actually like this venue for a few reasons. I think Lowell is getting it's popularity back (albeit slowly). And it's also IN MY HOME STATE which means I can compete on a weekend and not have to take any vacation time. Since I don't have any left for the year!

I run into old friends, it's an easy ride and it's all good. Except for the food part. The concession stand is supposed to be open because not much else in the neighborhood is. I don't understand why it's open on Saturday but closed for the Sunday events. It's frustrating. I don't want to carry anymore stuff with me than I have to. The dress, makeup, shoes, etc. are heavy and awkward enough without carrying a cup of hot tea as well.

I love the organizer and it's fun to watch the Pro events. The year Louis Van Amstel came up and competed was probably the highlight of the decade. Lightening legs!!

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Concession stands are tricky. We've been working with the San Jose Civic Auditorium for years, so I speak from experience. For a one-day event, they won't even open the stand unless we guarantee a food and drink minimum. So, if people don't buy, then we end up paying the minimum. We've had a couple of one-day comps now where we didn't even get close to the minimum and so had to pay a few extra hundred dollars. Now here's the Catch-22: the concession stand didn't make their minimum because they did't sell enough of the kinds of things that people wanted to eat, but they wouldn't stock the kinds of things we knew people would buy because it was only a one-day event! So no matter how we slice it with the concession stand, it works out to be a pain in the butt. And at our last event, the facilities people messed up and didn't open the concession stand at all even though we had it in our contract to have it open!

Oh, and there's a second catch: we can't just go and sell our own stuff, the venue doesn't allow it. It's a monopoly: their concession stand or nothing when it comes to food and drink.

Moral of the story: pack food and drinks. They're as important to your performance as remembering to bring your dance shoes.

12. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wow, that's pretty raw for a city-owned facility. They won't do business with you, but they won't let you do business with anyone else either.
    :evil:

13. Chris Stratton

No, raw is when they stock nothing suitable AND don't let individuals bring in their own outside food.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Fortunately that's not a problem, Chris. People can definitely bring their own stuff into the venues we use. I would totally put my foot down and refuse to book space in a place that didn't.

15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I do like comps like MAC. I thought the students did a nice job putting up a little concession stand with a variety of healthy and not-so-healthy choices.

But really, whatever is okay as long as I don't have to get a cashier's check and the comp runs more or less on time.

:) ChaChaMama

16. Chris Stratton

Sometimes there aren't many venues to choose from.

17. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

But don't they provide information regarding late fees on their web site in advance? Are you saying some organizers do not charge late fees even though they say there will be late fee charges on their web site? I ask you this question because we have always provided late fees when we register late, whether they tell us there will be late fees or not. We always went by the information on organizer's web site.

18. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Well, I've been charged late fees very infrequently... And usually when I provide my credit card, i at least get a note saying how much I willl be charged...

19. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I guess I have to say stuff that I don't like... not being consistent with what they put on their web site.

20. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! Like when the schedule on the web differs from the printable pdf. What a nightmare. I've run into that snag before.

And when they don't specific that it's a cash only deal when buying tickets at the door.