Comp Organization--Stuff We Like - Stuff We Don't Like

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, Sep 25, 2005.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I've been to 4 comps so far, so here's my list

Like:
    when there is a reasonably sized practice room
    good organization
    informative website

Dislike:
    The way they schedule things. Now they have American Style on Thursday and Friday, and all of International on Saturday. Which is a PITA for me, because now I have to figure out how to handle this in the middle of school year. I have a son in 5th grade, so this is an issue for me. Besides, with this schedule, American Style competitors have to take 2 days off, instead of 1.
    I also find it unfair that we also have to pay for entry tickets when we compete.
    Long waits between events. On my last comp, we were doing bronze, and bronze single events started at 9 and were done by 11, and then the scholarships were at 4:30.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hmmm...my 2 cents, for what it is worth...I like comps that don't force me to buy a second ticket to do the scholarship...I prefer comps that let me do two levels of scholarships if I am in between levels... I accept that this means that others will be able to do the same and that I may suffer as a result of it...I prefer comps that don't have virtually the same panel for every single scholarship...I don't care what happens for the single dances but I find it frustrating regarding scholarships...if I wasn't charged so much for being off package, I would dance more (HINT)...half floor should not be allowed above bronze in standard and smooth...very grateful for comps that set up small sandwich/fruit and bev shops in the ballroom....will always prefer cash and nice dancewear to trophies and trinkets...

3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I like it when competitions in general seem to want pro am students to enjoy and attend the comp and have things in place to encourage that... the water/snacks that Fasc mentioned, rules that are fair ( I actually don't like the "student can do two levels of scholarships" rule), nice ballroom, useful prizes, variety of judges, easy distance from airport to hotel.. that sort of thing. I don't like it when there is a sense of "we got you here so now we are going to rush you through everything" type of comp. :)

4. fascination

I will say that I do like the rule that if you have won the level at that comp you have to move up...which, for me mitigates most of what worries people on that issue

debmc likes this.
  5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

We regularly see who is in our heat before we enter some comps. It is a strategy. Sometimes it determines whether we go to a comp or not.

6. Bailamosdance

It is a big deal for us Ams as it tells us whether we will have competition etc. Since the time on the floor at a Pro/Am comp is only 1:05 (compared to 1:40 for Am/Am in an Am comp) and the threat of sharing the floor with other levels or even other techniques is real, it becomes a selling point if a comp is transparent about their entries.

7. fascination

In no way was I casting a judgment on that at all...just noting that, those issues aren't my primary concern...though I would also note that I am not certain that 1:05 is the duration of my heats...I could be wrong ad it has certainly varied from certain comps to others :) greatly

8. Bailamosdance

Check your videos for the time of the dances. Minimum for USA dance is 1:40. When we have done ndca at champ level we found songs faded out after 1:05

9. fascination

I will do that as I have a sense of how long it takes to dance the stuff I dance and I have seen far more variance than that

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

1:05 seems short IMO it usually is 1:15-1:20 IMO agree with fasc with regard to knowing internally your routine lengths in time

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

From the NDCA rulebook

There is no mention of pro-am.

12. Bailamosdance

Wow! We wuz robbed lol.... however, please do check Fasc... it is not 1:30 or 1:40. And since we are in Sr 2 and 3 we probably got the pro/am timing...

13. fascination

I will...am off to run some errands now, but will try to get to it this afternoon.....

14. Larinda McRaven

snort

15. Bailamosdance

lol Larinda, one time at an NDCA comp we were placed on the floor with a silver couple... sorta insulting, but it was all over in 1:05 lol. They DID fade the Paso Doble out, which really sucked... we never made it to the second crash. Lotta money for very little time on the floor. Anf=d of course, no introductions for the Champ level finalists... but I do know now that NDCA comps do not normally acknowledge us lowly Ams after they get our entry fee lol...;)

16. fascination

can we please not go further down this road?

17. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

wow never seen that but did dance a senior 1 am am champ latin final with adult am am champ latin final on the floor at the same time

the shocked look on my face as the music continued after the second crash was priceless!!

18. Larinda McRaven

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

i like the attention to detail the organizer(s) will give the paying customer. I like acknowledgment of the beginner pro/am student who gets out there as a newcomer or bronze level, as in at least reading thei names off after rounds. Customer service is great in my mind and it determines if i come back or not. I depise having to pay for two admissions if the session and the scholarships are broken up into two different sessions on the same day. Kudos to the oranizers and hotel venues that open their cafe early in the morning and stay late, also rolling salads, soups, sandwiches intO a ballroom or close to the doors, the convenience factor is a plus in my mind.

debmc likes this.
  20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

All of these are good points. As one of the "lowly" bronze dancers, I really do appreciate comps where the organizers make us feel like something other than unwanted cash cows there to fund the "real" dancing.

debmc likes this.