Comp Organization--Stuff We Like - Stuff We Don't Like

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ChaChaMama, Sep 25, 2005.

1. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

I was the dj at the Massabda comp in Boston last week and I actually became very anxious at the lenghth of time that I had to pay the music.While 1.40 is fine for the top level amateurs is can definately be too long for some of the senior couples.In fact one senior gent actually had to sit down and have a breather in the middle of his heat.I also felt the pressure of not being able to adjust the music speed on some occasions as some of the couples were attempting steps that were too difficult for there level of skill.
    In pro-am I can honestly say that I have never had a complaint from any of my personal students re lenght of music and I know this can be anywhere from 1.00-1.25

Chris

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

honestly, I don't think the bronze pro/ammers are held in any lower esteem than the silver ones...but I do wish "top awards" were more about placement than how many heats one dances...I think that would help...and ya'll know that I do alot of heats....but when I get something, I want it to mean something other than I spent a buttload of money...I do alot of heats because I can and I like to dance...not because I am into being acknowleged for something meaningless

debmc likes this.
  3. fascination

at triple crown..and I love Larry and his comps, they are awesome...BUT, the heats are shorter by at least half a wall consistently and I definately feel like I don't get to dance enough...though I can appreciate that those comps do have alot of older dancers...I am not one of them...yet...it seems to vary from comp to comp...but I would rather wonder if I am going to expire on a jive or an intl vw, than feel like I paid 100 bucks for one minute of dancing

Warren J. Dew and debmc like this.
  4. fascination

I don't mind if heats are shorter, if cost is lower

5. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

We are a senior 2 and 3 couple that competed champ at massabda to your music. It was great and glad you went to full length. The vw was longer than expected since it is usually :60-:70 but we do runthrus weekly so it felt fine for us.

In contrast we have done ndca comps that give us 1:05 and that is disheartening. Our age group does not lack for stamina and we did 4 rounds that day in mass.

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I agree with fasc, I've noticed major variations between how long different competitions play different music (I'd rather longer than shorter, unless it's something with a short routine as I get bored, already having the attention span of a Mayfly....) I don't know that it's a level thing, though. NP and I were doing rhythm rounds yesterday and both commented how unusually short the track for ECS was--and that audio was taken directly from an Open pro final. (Not just short for a comp round, short in comparison to the other four dances.)

7. fascination

yep...I have been to places where I only get to the beginning of the third wall of open smooth and I have been to places where I get to the beginning of the 5th in the same routine...and it isn't due to our set-up or use of music...I looked over a few dvds, unfortunately, I only tape a few...but there is variation

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

me too, a thousand times. I love dancing and performing in front of an audience, and then I wish I could disappear. Having to wait 45 minutes for results, in costume, is torture.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

I don't think I have ever competed where I didn't also have to pay to get into the ballroom, and the pro teacher has to pay also, except at USDC, and I don't know if they still do that courtesy (considering how high the entry fees are...).

11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Manh
    Manhattan Dancesport comp does not charge, and neither did New England Dancesport last week, to name a few.

12. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Manhattan charged this year for pros and their students...

13. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

ETA this is for pro-am events. Pros and am-am competitors don't have to pay at manhattan.

In fact, now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever done a pro-am competition where I wasn't required to pay admission to the ballroom. I haven't done that many, so am no means an expert. I will admit it is infuriating to drop a small fortune on pro-am registration and then have to pay my admission ticket on top of that, when I wouldn't have to if I were a "real" competitor doing adult am or pro. I get that comps have to offset their costs, and pro-am events aren't exactly attracting hoards of spectators, but when I pay hundreds to register, and then have to pay to get in (sometimes paying to get in to more than one session if they separate the singles from the multi or the final from the rest of the scholarship), it makes me feel like the comp sees me as some sort of money fountain. Considering as my money fountain is more like a stagnant money drip, this is disheartening.

14. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Most, if not all USA Dance comps don't charge you to enter a session you're dancing in.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Agree with much of the above postings. All the comps I have been to, I have had to pay a separate entry ticket to get in to the comp, and I think comps also charge an entry ticket for the pro dancing with the student as well. The people that work at the entry to the comp are strict too, you can be in full ballroom attire, but no ticket, no admission, something that I have had to learn to remember to make sure I have in my dance bag. In general I think that shortchanging anything for syllabus level students is not good, whether that be shorter music time, not having single dance awards, cutting the floor in half, rushing through scholarship awards, etc, etc. As far as the "top student" awards, I guess it is a way for the comp to acknowledge in some way, who individually contributed the most $$$ to their comp, and while I think that is fine to do, the name "top student" is a little misleading for people who don't know what it really means.

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, I have witnessed the "top student" awards, and then, to my complete surprise found myself to be one - and I did not pay a boatload of money, had limited entries but I placed first in all rounds and recalls. It was a shock, a surprise, and I truly thought the organizer or someone behind the scenes made a big mistake....and I looked around the room thinking someone else has the same name I do. lol.
    I like not feeling shortchanged for the investment of time/money etc and I agree with some others that after paying for entries, etc etc, to pay for the admission ticket of "pro" who is dancing with me...seems...rather...uhhhhhhh uncalled for (I don't mind paying for my own, but also paying for his on top of everything else makes me wonder at times).

17. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

I so agree with this... I am tired of hearing "I got top xxx pro-am award" Yes you danced with 2 instructors and did 6 scholarships and championships... there is a volume thing here not a quality discussion. Some of us only dance with one instructor, and that one has other students who split said scholarships and championships.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I suspect that some of the variation in length of time played for each song is related to how on-schedule the comp is running at the time...

Bailamosdance likes this.
  19. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I recently read an article where a particular pro am student was praised for being "ranked # __" in the pro am dance sport series line up. It was presented as if that student was ranked on the basis of skill, when most of the time, not all of the time...as 3 wishes pointed out in her experience... but most of the time, the ranking is based on how many competitions and entries and rounds are done. Not to take anything away from the people who have as a goal to dance as much as possible and enter as many competitions as possible, but the term "top student" implies something else. I think there was also a Dancebeat magazine article where a letter to the editor objected to the award "top teacher" at a comp, as he felt it reflected the teacher who had the most student entries, not necessarily the best teacher.

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the Chairman of judges is basically responsible for keeping the whole she-bang on time. The competition will be fined if they get off schedule too much. So break the rule and shave off an extra 10 seconds per dance until you are caught up, or pay the NDCA a fine for running terribly late... it is his choice and his knat that is on the line.