Competition Costs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

So. I was wondering how much a competition would cost to a pro/am, am/am and pro/pro couple, sans coaching/gowns/shoes/tails expenses. Competition fees and hotels, that is.

Twilight Elena
  2. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Most amateur comps that I have attended charge between $25-50 per person flat.
  3. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Do you mean collegiate comps caityrosey? I can't think of any adult amateur comps that are so cheap. The adult am-am ones I've been to tend to run anywhere from $75-150 per person. Collegiate comps (where adults also can enter) run from $25-50 per person. That's a flat fee for the competition that includes as many heats as you want/qualify to dance in and entry to the ballroom for the entire competition, including sessions you are not competing in.
  4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

A lot of NDCA and usabda comps cost less than 75 per person
  5. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Well yes, I suppose I should have clarified that most of the comps I have been to have been college comps.
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

Where I live, I can do an amateur collegiate comp as an adult non-student for $20 per person. I can do a USA Dance amateur comp for $15-$25 per person, depending on if it's an unrecognized (i.e., non-point-granting) small "club" competition or if it's a big Regionals. Hotel-based NDCA comps run between $60-$140 per couple, depending on how many events we enter, and how many different sessions they are in.

Back when I was doing Pro/Am, entries ranged from $25-$55 per dance for the single-dance events, and from $75-$125 for the multi-dance events (like the scholarships). We'd get halfway decent money for the scholarships, too, like first place would be $500, and the checks were made out to the students. Ticket prices (because they are pretty much never included in the entry fees out here) ranged from $15-$45, depending on the session. Obviously they put the more prestigious events, like Amateur Championship Standard, in a more prestigious (and expensive) session, like Saturday night. The syllabus and novice dancers usually get scheduled in the afternoon, when tickets are cheaper.

The big question marks in Pro/Am pricing are (1) the fee to dance with your teacher and (2) any studio mark-up over the organizer's prices. When I started with my teacher, he charged $20 or $25 per dance, I can't recall. Six years later, when I stopped, he was charging $40 per dance. Some teachers charge a flat fee. Others charge on a sliding scale (the more you enter, the less they charge per dance). The fee to dance with your teacher is a very individual thing, it varies from teacher to teacher. As for the studio mark-up, my teacher was an independent and so the studio never came into it, so there was never any mark-up. I've heard horror stories of massive studio mark-ups, and I think that those are ludicrous and give Pro/Am a bad name.
  7. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Wow, I didn't realize price varied so much by region. I guess that USABDA comps in the Midwest cost more then the East Coast because we have fewer dancers to cover the organizers' costs?

We'll be going to a non-sanctioned chapter comp next month that is $70 per person. USABDA Regionals in April are $125 per person.
  8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think regionals in NY are 45 per person.
  9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Prices don't sound outrageous. Thank God. And if you book your airfare early you get very decent prices. :D

Twilight Elena
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my upcoming comp is 25 per heat...pro charging another 10 per heat
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

You are getting a very good price!
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

why do you think I'm dancing 38 heats;) ?
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

Wow. That's in the ballpark of what we'll be charging for a three-day pass to Nationals this year. The Regionals we hosted last Summer was $25 per person, as were the California State DanceSport Championships last November.

Of course, we're not in a large and glamorous facility, but still!!!

(All those people who say they just need a decent floor and some music and affordable prices will be getting their wish this time around.)
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Can't we just dredge up an old thread that already has all this info in it?
  15. redhead

redhead New Member

wyllo are you doing star of the north by any chance?
  16. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Yep -- are you going?
  17. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Depends on what region you are in/who the organizer is.
  18. redhead

redhead New Member

sure, it's in my backyard :)
    what are you dancing? standard?
  19. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Cool! I'll be dancing silver and gold standard (should be easy to spot us, there usually aren't more than three couples in syllabus standard above bronze and one of the others couples is a DFer too). How 'bout you?
  20. redhead

redhead New Member

I'm doing Latin the night before and then I'm done - so if you guys need a ride or something, don't know where you're staying...