Competition Costs

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Jan 10, 2006.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

This may sound bad but we are stumped on what to fill out on the entry forms.

We are thinking of doing maybe 5-10 heats and one championship (Standard).

What is it? $30 heat? and $45 for championships?
  2. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I think it's $35 per dance, and $75 for scholarship? not exactly sure.
    Are you dancing pro events?
  3. DanceMentor

We were thinking something like:
    Closed Silver - 5 dances
    Open Silver Champ
    Possibly closed gold - 5 dances

I should show you a video of our waltz and let you help place us. :)
  4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I think I am confused, I thought you are a pro? Are you dancing with students?
  5. DanceMentor

My wife and I would be dancing pro-am.
  6. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Oh......I see. That makes sense now. :)
    I will be dancing pro/am as well, most likely the 2 closed scholarships and 5 single dances. I can't seem to find anything regarding single dance entries being required to enter scholarhsip events on their website. Do you know anything about it? I would rather not do any single dance, if that's the case.
  7. DanceMentor

Which level are you doing? Maybe we'll have the pleasure of competing together.
  8. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

silver scholarship for sure, maybe bronze as well, either inter. silver or full silver 5 single dances.
  9. redhead

redhead New Member

Well, as far as fees go, am/am is usually way cheaper if one goes to USABDA comp vs. NDCA. A couple I know chose to drive 5 hours and stay at the hotel to participate in USABDA comp rather than in NDCA one that was right here in town on teh same weekend - all because gas+hotel+entry fees for the first one were still cheaper than 10 single dance events + multi-dance event at NDCA one!
    Hotel fees vary widely, depending on where you're willing to stay.
    I really like it when organizers give you options depending on how many events you compete in. Like, there is this local comp - it's all you can dance for $70/person or up to 3 events for $30/person. Since I only do one style, I appreciate this option very much (I don't know if it's common to offer that).
    So in a nutshell, the answer is "it depends": the lowest you can do is $30 pp for fees and parking on a friend's couch, and sky is the limit.
  10. DanceMentor

Yes, USABDA is less expensive, but in my case, I have to dance either pro/am or pro/pro. :(