Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I use pomade first, then shape it where I want it to go. I put a few pins in key places and then spray the heck out of it. Works pretty well!
  2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm sold. Gonna try pomade next!
  3. HolyCross Ballroom

HolyCross Ballroom New Member

Any style suggestions for extremely curly hair?
  4. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I have had a lot of luck doing ropes on extremely curly hair that's long. Gel hair into two ponytails, then rope each ponytail and pin around to make a bun. Put a hairnet on top and hairspray.

Comes out like this: 382865_859880764905_1416484_40402533_224176917_n.jpg
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'd also imagine it'd be a lot easier if the hair was flat ironed/blown out to begin with. Makes it more manageable, and you need less gel to get it to stay.
    smidra86 likes this.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

So i have pomade and i'm thinking that i should to a practice run before our comp in a few weeks. Never used pomade before.... looks greasy as all heck so before i grease the crap out of my head on a random tuesday night (LOL) i was curious about a few more details. I imagine it takes care of the frizzies/flyaways., but does pomade "hold" like hairspray, or jut gives it that slick control, and the hairspray topping does the rest?
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

very pretty katherine

post a pic miss silly!!!
  8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Yeah i might lol... it will be interesting. I shaved the sides of my head like a rockstar, and now i'm growing out those sides so i'm in that terrible stage where all it wants to do is stick out.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

So I experimented with pomade + hairspray on myself and my partner/bf (hahah, suckah!) and it was...interesting. I've never used pomade before. This stuff is nutso. I had to google several forums to see what people generally use to wash it out (as pomade is meant to last for several days in your hair) and i read that many use olive oil (or mineral oil, or canola oil...) in their hair prior to shampooing. And believe me, doing that in the shower makes for a very dangerous situation (very, very slippery footing---better to do that in a sink!).

I used Murray's NuNile pomade which is a fairly heavy-weight pomade but still slick for a wet-look (from what i understand, the lighter-weight pomades usually end up shinier? I am interested in trying their "hair-glo" next). The fun part about pomade is that it allows for a styled look but remains pliable. This was great for a man's style but when i tried it on myself, I was missing that feeling of helmet-head. My hair is a little thinner too, so it turned into a greasy mess quite easily. My hair is only just long enough to get into a tiny stub of a pony-tail, and the sides of my head were shaved and so far only have about an inch of growth----so my current hairstyle is an issue in itself LOL (i'm growing it out as fast as i can!). So i parted my hair in the middle so i could use it to cover the sides of my head, made a stub-pony to attach a nice latin-looking fake pony-tail to. We went and practiced all afternoon to test it out. To my surprise, my fake pony tail did not fall off (always good to know--i keep imagining such a thing to happen during a comp) although these are my thoughts:

For me:
    -i did not like the greasy feeling
    -hair is thinner, so it does not look as good as on thick hair
    -it did do a nice job of keeping all the fuzzies down
    -it did look fairly 'wet'
    -worked "ok" for a latin-pony tail...but woudl have no idea how to use it in an updo (i haven't had long enough hair in years LOL) but i guess could be used after a style to lay the sides down flat (ie- the non-styled sections)?

For my dancing bf:
    -thicker hair, looks nicer
    -pliable so allows for lots of play
    -waterproof, probably great if you sweat lots
    -tried to wash it out but looked great on him on day 2 (post washing, still had residual pomade... i might suggest to him to use it as a regular styling product over gel because it's not drying to his scalp)

My bf is in the process of getting a 'better' haircut, but anyway, the pics turned out better on his hair to illustrate something else i want to mention. We tried using a top-coat of hairspray on one side. Hairspray at first seemed to amp-up the shine power (yay!!) but then later just went flaky and looked like bad dandruff (booo!). Could be the brand of hairspray, as i've heard rumors that some brands don't get flaky but i haven't found that brand yet. I used got2bglued on him, and bedhead hairspray on my hair and had the same result.

PS- my apologies to the grammar police, i put an 'e' in flaky *bah!*

Attached Files:

10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Question: I am allergic apparently to petrolatum and castor oil... I wind up with a red face and itchy eyes. Does anyone have this problem, and does anyone know of a pomade that will work for a guy like me?
  11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

DON'T comb through after applying hairspray!!! Hairspray is the last thing. You should not be touching it after that.
  13. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

So i've discovered LOL so i guess it doesn't matter what brand of hairspray then.

Ah, that is unfortunate!
  15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

For hairspray I like to use bed head or something like that. Its in a yellow bottle. Super, super strong, and kind of leaves hair a little shiney. When I leave my hair down and pulled back it really helps keep it from moving out of place, although if I don't do my bobby pins right it gives me a weird bump in the back of my head... so I need to sort that out. :-/
  16. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I use Freeze It and haven't had a flaking problem, but I also don't use pomade under very often.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The pomades I've used (Frederic Fekkai and Redken) washed right out with water and shampoo, no pretreatment needed...not sure WTH you're using.
  18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Me? We tried Murray's pomade. It's been around since the 20's lol. Most "traditional" pomades are petroleum based which requires a high-detergent shampoo or several washings to remove as the product is meant to stay in your hair for days. There does exist water-soluble pomades which can be washed out in a single washing with no pre-treatment, which is going to be my next experiment.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Try Dapper Dan. ;)
    Miss Silly and j_alexandra like this.
  20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Are you a Dapper Dan man?? ;)

I love that movie...