Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think the tattoo would be more distracting than any hair faults.
  2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Joe, if you saw the rest of my tattooing you probably wouldn't notice the one by my ear lol ;-p

I realize they aren't ideal for ballroom (the pieces were all done long before i started ballroom) but I do try to keep in mind how my costumes are cut ( since tattoo cover up usually ends up a much bigger mess). But that is another thread....

Reminds me though that i did shave my neck and it really helped clean up that neckline. I have a lot of fuzzy neck hairs that are totally uncontrollable (I have enough issues styling my hair lol).
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

:eek:
  4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

color me intrigued:p
    Miss Silly likes this.
  6. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Miss Silly, It won't let me quote the picture you posted for some reason :/

Buuuuuut, where did you find your curly bun hairpiece? It's beautiful, and I've been on the hunt for something similar!
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I read a recipe for making your own extra-extra hold hair-control foam by beating egg whites to the stiff-peak stage, then using them as a mousse. Has anyone tried this?
  8. It looks like it could have come from h for hair but I'm sure there are other vendors that sell similar hair pieces with curly buns

I can't post the link to hforhair as I'm too new :( but if you google hforhair and ballroom you'll find it
  9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Yes! That is where it came from :)
  10. Evidence I spend far too long engrossed in dance related items:) - I love their hairpieces I have a few!
    Miss Silly likes this.
  11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

BAHAAHA i'm glad i'm not the only one ;)

These pieces come fairly 'hard' so i had to use adhesive with this one, as there weren't many places to get a U pin through.
  12. Oh you're most definitely not ;)

I've always glued mine I've never been able to get pins to work - they ping out all over the place. I just cover it in hair adhesive and curse a lot after I've competed and have to try and get it all out again!
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Oh man, my first trial-run with the adhesive gave me a few "ohhhhh sssshhhh******" moments. I used the adhesive and bond remover that i got with the hairpiece (it's very difficult to find these products around my area). It wasn't a very good bond remover. I used a lot of oil and a lot of conditioner in my hair after to get out the giant clumps of glue. It didn't help either that my first time i used WAY too much glue.

The next time I used a LOT less glue and did use a couple pins for some loops that i could get a pin around (pins drive me bananas by the end of the day!). I picked up a much better adhesive remover that i did manage to find at a weave & extension specialty store (I actually think its the only store on the Canadian West Coast that sells it!). The product was called "salon pro 30 sec adhesive remover" and it worked really well. I noticed it's quite oily compared to the crappy remover i tried the first time.

But the adhesive does work really well.... I do have a paranoia about doing a sharp tango head movement and my hair going flying across the dancefloor ;-P
  14. I have nightmares about my hair piece falling off - I've seen it happen and I'd be moritifed if it happened to me!

The first time I used the glue I used way too much too and was racing to catch a business flight after the comp and could not for the life of me get the glue out my hair - I had all kinds of panic about showing up to a meeting with glue lumps everywhere!

I've figured it better now but havent located a better adhesive remover yet!
  15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

GAAAHHH see i havent seen someone's hair go flying off yet but i don't doubt it happens often. I don't want it to me be! LOL. I'm sure there are far worse things but for some reason this one is high up there for me LOL.

That must have been a total panic situation after your first time! I found the product really did make a big difference. I did a bit of youtubing after the first time when i had to take a break from the removal process (my arms were getting tired and i was starting to panic LOL). There were a variety of home-remedies that people seem to use to remove hair adhesive like anything oily, or lots of conditioner, or baby oil and hairdryer.... the salon pro stuff was $10 for the bottle and it has mineral oil as the main ingredient. If you cant get that product, maybe using straight mineral oil will help?
  16. Not only did it fly off but at the end of the dance a judge picked it up on the end of his pen and handed it back to her at arms length - I would have died! This is second only to a major dress malfunction for me!

Hmm I must experiment more - I've always just allowed myself several hours for the horrible removal process but perhaps I will do some more research and find something a little more effective. Someone did suggest putting it in with eyelash glue as apparently that is easier to get out but I've never been convinced to try it yet!
  17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

oooohhhhh man LMAO that's brutal!!

Definitely do a bit of internetting and experimenting. I bet you will discover a product or method that could make your life a little easier! :)
  18. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I have been using H for Hair's hair pieces for almost two years now, and absolutely love the idea and the pieces themselves. I think the earlier pieces were more pliable - not sure if they are now using a different glue? In either case, I have always pinned them on, and they haven't fallen off yet. I use them for heavy duty pro-am dancing (in one case did 100 dances in one day) and the pieces stay on well. For me the secret is the initial pony tail/the base I build for it - if that is not rock solid, then the hair piece is in danger of falling off.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  19. theblondielou

theblondielou New Member

I was a pale yellow blonde from birth to age 14 and then turned that mousy dark blonde yuck color. I have since always colored it. If you don't use heat on it (don't blow dry it....if you can't air dry it, you can sit in front of a regular fan or ride in a car with the windows open) and no hot rollers or curling irons (if I want curl, I sleep in soft rollers, or keep soft rollers in my hair a minimum of 3 to 5 hours) and bleaching is your only chemical process you use on your hair and you use quality products and condition it regularly, your hair can look great. I have done both the hair color at home (training someone else to color my hair and they did fine) and going to a beautician and both were great as long as I followed all of my regime. I like the Frost N Tip color mix. You don't have to use the cap or use foil. You can use the product and put it throughout your hair (and it only takes that one process) and then use it to do only your roots.
  20. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Kerastase oleofusion helps color-treated hair a great deal