Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Ok quick question. So I've been growing out my hair for about 2 years now after chopping it all off and it's down past my shoulders. It's really thick and curly. So my question how much is too much hair to put into an up do?

2. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

No such thing. You can always do something with any extra hair. Swirls, double buns, etc.

mindputtee likes this.
  3. BD4L

BD4L Member

I had a partner who's hair was to her waist for most of the time we competed together. She loved it for standard because she could do so many different things with it.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My hair, at its longest a few years ago, was almost bum crack level. When I would take it down people would exclaim "I had no idea you have so much hair!"

There is never too much to put up.

smidra86 likes this.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But L, is your hair thick and curly?

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good point joe...and I would also note that even if one's hair is straight and fine, i have found that,after a certain length, while it may be fun to do lots of interesting things with it, it can in fact be more difficult to put up unless one has exceptional talent as lrinda does, and a good deal of time...I went through a time when my hair was so long that it was getting more difficult to put it up in the manner in which I was previously doing it....I am about at the length now and i have decided to keep the hair growing, but I know I have set myself up for some extra work

7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Intellectually, I can see how having lots and lots of hair could be hard to control. Emotionally, I'm just jealous. I could let my hair grow for years, and there would never be enough to make a decent standard up do without adding something fake. Have fun figuring out all kinds of cool things to do with all that hair!

8. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I feel like it depends on the person's hair type and styling ability. At its longest, my hair was just past the underwire of my bra (sorry, gents, but it's the best way I can think to describe it), and that was a tiny bit too long for my capabilities. I would do the style I wanted, and then have about an inch or two of extra hair that I would have to deal with.

I also didn't like that I had to use two hair nets, because when you are doing the hair yourself (i.e. cannot see the back of your head) it is hard to make sure the hairnets go on right and are tucked in nicely, not bunched up on the side somewhere in a super obvious and awkward manner... at least for me. I will readily admit that there are some people out there who have super human abilities when it comes to doing their own ballroom hair, but I am not one of them. This hairnet problem was doubly frustrating, because I really only needed the second hairnet for about an inch or two of hair, so I had a LOT of extra hair net to deal with. I think ideally, for me, my hair would be about 2 or 3 inches shorter than that.

FWIW My hair is quite thick and stick straight naturally. It is not quite the magical unicorn hair that Larinda is blessed with.

9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

LOL I echo your sentiments.

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

My hair is very thick and long, at my waist. And yes, when you have my type of hair, it can get too long to put up easily (especially by myself). A pro hair stylist told me in the past that keeping my hair somewhere a bit below bra line would be optimum for my type of hair for an up do.

11. fascination

yes..I think a lot has to do with whether or not one is having a stylist do it or one is doing it themselves and/or their degree of skill/time/type of hair...I heard Larinda one mention 3 hours for her hair...I don't know if that is the norm...but I know that I have to allow for 2 hours for mine in case it doesn't go smoothly...and I know that unless I flatiron the back of my hair, it almost always looks sloppy...and, as bia said, beyond a certain point, I end up with a few inches of extra hair...sometimes I can figure out cool things to do with it, sometimes it's just a PITA...right now,my hair is just now touching my bra line in the back, it is more tapered on the sides and I wear a bang when I am not dancing so it isn't too unwieldy yet...but a few more inches,and I will have to start allowing more time in order to deal with the extra need for creativity...for me, that is why I try to have hair decoration available if I need it...sometimes I use it to cover areas I don't like :)

stash likes this.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It takes R. about twenty minutes to a half-hour to deal with my hair, but I think it being thick helps as it's got texture for the bobby pins to grab.

13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

3 hours is because I am a perfectionist, and will start over numerous times until I make it just so. I actually could have done it in 20 if I had too.

14. fascination

yep...that is why I allot for 2 hours...sometimes everything falls into place nicely and sometimes I have to tear down three times and start over....

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Stash, it's never too much hair. I have oodles of thick hair just past shoulders. That said, I have to flat iron my hair the day before so I can tame the bulk down before it goes up.

16. UMASSshoesandcostumes

UMASSshoesandcostumes Active Member

This is why I make my partner help me with my hair. He is my eyes in the back of my head. Not only does he do my flyaway check and gel anything loose away, but he also holds pieces for me because I don't really have enough hands to do my hair the way I like to. He does this in exchange for me doing his hair nicely for comp (although he always complains I use too much gel next to his ears, apparently it's cold). I'm hoping this year I can train him to do my hair all by himself with me holding pieces for him instead of him holding pieces for me (1- he can see the back of my head better than I can and 2- sitting there having my hair done at 7am sound much more fun than trying to get it perfect myself at 7am)He said he'd do it 'if he had to' (I'm not sure what constitutes 'having to' though) and my comp hair isn't terribly complicated so I am hopeful.
    Also, my hair is also a bit of an awkward length, I find it helps if I do my hair when it's wet so that I can kind of clump that last 2 inches together and pin it underneath the style in such a way that I could never do when it was dry. However, my hair is also long, but very thin, so I assume it would be harder to kind of clump 2 inches of very thick hair together to just pin underneath the style.

17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

From working with thick hair, there is a "Goldilocks zone"- too long and it's very heavy and wants to fall out, too short and it is hard to get the ends tucked in or do anything with it. Longer you CAN stick more pins in it and more product, it can just get annoying. Ideally, I have 10-12 inches of hair sticking out of a ponytail to do things with.

18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I have discovered a hairstyle that works perfectly for my hair!

The Sock French Twist

My hair is too short to get much volume with an ordinary twist, so this gave me a nice big one. It's really secure. We ended up doing that super fashionable curly thing with the front bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It worked so well. I'm so happy.

Sania, mindputtee, Miss Silly and 2 others like this.
  19. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

That looks great! Congrats!

20. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Lioness---i LOVE your hair colour!!