Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Do you think it is important to change up your competition look (different hair, different makeup) or is it ok to use the same routine you've found works, over and over?

2. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

More recently, I find myself changing my hairstyle for almost every comp. Some styles are more different than others... if one morning things just aren't working, I fall back on one tried-and-true style. But I change my hair mostly just because its fun for me, not because I think the judges notice. I will say, though, if I'm confident in my hair, it's one less thing to worry about during my dancing, and therefore it doesn't negatively affect my dancing.

I am sort of superstitious, though, with my hair... if I forget to put a flower or something in my hair that I usually wear and then don't get called back, I blame it on the lack of flower... :p

make-up, however, i'm still mastering. so that ends up being different for every comp, but not out of choice....

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Miss Silly - Thanks! I bleach it and then dye it, so it works out brighter.

Minputtee - I tend to change mine up, but that's mainly because my hair is growing out. When it was short, I did roughly the same thing with it every time. Now I have to work out what to do with each length...last comp it wasn't long enough for a french twist, so we did a weird thing at the back. This comp it was, so we went with that. Maybe next time I'll try a bun! I tend to stick with french twists, though...they're relatively easy and look classy. Bun might be better to switch between standard and latin though.

With makeup, I'm much more likely to stay the same. I'm pretty bad at makeup, so I just learn one thing that works and stick with that. The only change I'll make is the eye makeup...depending on dress colour I might add some eyeshadow in that colour...when I have to switch between four dresses, not so much. (just gonna say it...dancing two styles in two levels SUCKS. Four different dresses for each comp, because we're not allowed costumes in one of the levels...)

Miss Silly likes this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

My coach at one point told me to "switch it up" with my hair for a change, but like 5678dance said, sometimes things don't work out as planned and it ends up being whatever is doable that day. And if I find myself short on time or patience, I'm gonna stick what I know is reliable. My hair is rarely exactly the same twice, but he wanted something completely different for a new look. Much like the right gown, the right hairstyle can affect your confidence and subsequently your dancing.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There's only so much one can do, depending on the kind of hair one has. If anything, not changing your look might help judges recognize you better. Obviously they're supposed to be judging the dancing, but I think we can all admit that being recognized often doesn't hurt.

stash likes this.
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

That is why the men all look the same... so the women can change but a judge can still identify the couple!!! I recognized you immediately last time. It too me a minute before it registered that you have a "new" partner. But right away I identified "Joe Couple".

7. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I tend to do more or less the same thing for every comp. Makeup is always the same, with maybe some changes to the eyeshadow color, eyeliner shape, and heaviness depending on the dress(es) and comp. But I tend to not change my makeup so dramatically that you can tell on the floor. I generally do my hair the same but with slightly different results as I have found that there is no point arguing with my hair... it is much less frustrating to just work with what it feels like doing. Still, my hair will look largely the same... just minor differences in the details... like comparing a regular card to an uno card.

I like doing my makeup, but I don't really like doing my hair, and so am not particularly great at it... so I stick to the one style that I am good at, and just go from there. Chances are, if you see me with a significantly different hair-do, it's because I paid someone to do it. I'd much rather look polished and good and have the same hairstyle, than try something else and fail, and be all stressed and miserable the day of. It honestly hasn't affected my results to wear the same hairstyle and makeup... I have paid people to do my hair for big comps just because I like having as little as possible to worry about for those.

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thanks for the length tips guys! I'm going in for a trim soon to get rid of all the split ends, but I'm going to keep as much length as I can.

9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I have about 2-3 makeup looks (just switching out the eyeshadow colors, really) and one basic hairdo that I do, but I'm limited by my slow-growing baby-fine thin hair, so I don't know what else to do with it. When I feel fancy I do a swirly thing on the side and stone it, but that's about it. Sometimes I get bored with the same thing, but at least it reliably works.

Hmm, I did a side bun for a party recently, any thoughts about that for something a bit different for a comp? I've seen it a couple times and haven't decided whether I like it or not. Obviously it has to look on-purpose, and not just crookedly placed.

10. mindputtee

I don't mind it, but I think it looks better if the side placement is being used to show off some hair jewelry or swirlies on the other side of the head.

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

To preface: I had my hair in a ponytail today and NP says "Is that all your hair?" (ie, do I have extensions/fake ponytail.) Me: "R.!" R.: "Yes?" Me (to NP): "Tell her what you just asked." NP: "I just said, is that all her hair." R.: "That is all her hair. And you have no idea what it takes to get it all in a bun."

Depending on how it looks with the new dress, I may try a ponytail or braid next time.

12. Jenna Caskie

Jenna Caskie New Member

Hi! So I have a competition coming up very very soon in Boston (American Rhythm) and I keep going back and forth when it comes to what I want to do with my hair. I definitely want to stick with the low latin bun because I like the slicked back "professional-ish" look, but I would love add some kind of different twist to that! Any suggestions?? Thanks!

13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

With the basic low latin bun, you could try variations on parts (middle, side, none), swooping your bangs, adding volume at the crown with a bit of teasing, adding side swirly bits, or maybe even braiding the bun before coiling it, if it's long enough to do that.

14. Jenna Caskie

Jenna Caskie New Member

Thanks!! :)

15. mindputtee

I also like the look of wrapping a braid around the base of the bun.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

A professional bun would simply be slicked back, extra low, super shiny, and center part. No need to muck it up with anything else.

17. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with fringe-style bangs? I've no idea what to do with mine. :p

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have them...I make them disappear...with fine tooth comb and a boatlod of spray

19. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Ooohhh. Is there any particular kind that's good for that purpose? Or will anything do?

20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

most will work...but we have threads on the ones that are the best...I don't remember the name of the one I use but I have also just picked up mega hold professional brands at walgreens

Ailuene likes this.