Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I like the got2b glued freeze spray. I use it to do my swirls and it won't let it move one bit. As mine grew out, I started using them to make swirlies. I know a girl who would curl them and then spray the heck out of them to make them stay in a curl over her forehead. I think she's actually on here, but I can't remember her username off the top of my head. Maybe she will check in here and offer some advice.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

3. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am particular to the Silhouette hairspray... it is made by the same company (Schwarzkopf) that does the Got2B line, but Silouhette is from their "Professional" line. It is more expensive and harder to find, but I love the shine it gives my hair, and the fact that it doesn't make my hair (which is blonde, but has much darker low-lights than, say, Larinda's) look dirty brown, which is a big problem I have. The yellow Got2B hairspray that Larinda and mindputtee have mentioned is also awesome, particularly for making shapes and swirlies. It is just not my *favorite* haha ;).

Schwarzkopf Silhouette:
    [​IMG]
  4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

^ ps I buy my Got2B at any old drugstore. I have found that danceshopper . com has a great price for the Silhouette.
  5. Larinda McRaven

Silhouette can only be purchased from overseas, or an American ballroom vendor, such as Bobby Tan. And IMO does not hold nearly as well as the regular Got2B. It is marketed as a shining spray, not an industrial hold spray. I use it either as a daily hold when I am dressed and have a hair style going on, or while dancing as a topper to the Got2B to add extra shine. I would never trust just the Silhouette to hold my hair in a competition.

I find that any spray can darken my hair based on "how" it is used. Sprayed on and "wetting" the hair makes it look like someone styled their hair while it was wet or doused their hair with gel. I tend to spray the bejeezus out of my hair the night before, several times. Then brush it out in the morning. And my hair is completely moldable then, when it comes to styling, and stays put without the need to drench it. So there is no dark look to it.

So if you are not super careful, any spray will not only darken your hair too but shiney up and highlight the fuzzys... not attractive. The extreme fuzz shown here is from wetting the hair, which then sticks to her fingers and gets pulled around. My fingers never get wet, because my hair never gets wet.
    1010910_10100192901360969_364083269_n.jpg
    dbk likes this.
  6. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Thanks guys! I'll pick up a can of this sometime before my next comp then. :p
  7. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

That is positively epic advice.... thank you! I am totally giving this a shot :D By spray the bejeezus, do you mean you completely wet it? Or just really spray it, but stop short of getting it "wet" with the product? I want to make sure I have the right idea when I try it.

The times I competed using only Silhouette, I had no problems with the hair staying put... but then those times I was also keeping to a relatively simple hairstyle as I usually do, so I cannot speak to what would happen if I had done something more complicated and will take your word for it. I have also used both of them in combination, and find that to work nicely too, especially when I am trying something "advanced" or my hair is having an ornery day. I like to use the Silhouette for general use to start out (getting up into the ponytail, etc) since I have found that it brushes out so nicely that I can easily start over if I make an error (which I do a lot when making the ponytail), plus SHINE. I completely agree with you that the yellow Got2B spray has unparalleled hold, and I always turn to that if I am trying something more complicated with my hair, like swirlies or an interesting shape.
  8. artofdance

artofdance New Member

If it is in your eyes I definitely think it will be hard to dance to the best of your ability and even that just having the least amount of possible "problems" will ensure that you can just focus on your performance/routine, etc... so that you don't have to perhaps have your hand always brush the hair off your face.
  9. Larinda McRaven

Nonie, by bejeezus I mean.... I spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another, spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another, spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another, spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another, spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another, spray it lightly throughout in one section, move to another...

ad naseum until basically I look like the Bride of Frankenstein.
    samina, NonieS and FancyFeet like this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I use either "got to" or the other professional line mega hold stuff in the white can at the drug store, then, if I have it, I use the silhouette as finish....
  11. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

you guys are killing me with all this talk about swirlies. When I was a kid, a swirlie was when you stuck your brother's hair in the toilet and flushed...
    theAnnelis and j_alexandra like this.
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hair? I thought it was his face!
  13. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, sometimes that, too!
    Miss Silly likes this.
  14. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Sounds sexy ;).

Thanks! Definitely going to try the Larinda Method of Hair Preparation next time I have a comp!!
  15. bia

bia Active Member

I just bought myself some clip-in extensions. A few thoughts after trying them out:

1) This is so much fun, having the materials to do interesting things with! (So far, the rope-braid bun is the winner.)

2) I am going to have to schedule a whole lot more time for hair at future comps. And use a whole lot more hairpins.

3) Ohh, so this is what the people with lots of hair meant when they complained about it being so heavy. I get it now. (Though not really, since I can still just unclip it. Sorry.)

4) It's amazing the things I do for ballroom that I never thought I'd do. I had never imagined myself buying hair. But now it seems such a reasonable thing to do. I've been assimilated!
    Sania, Ailuene and Miss Silly like this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

17. bia

bia Active Member

OK, now that I have all this hair, I have a hair net question. In the past, making a bun with a foam bun maker, I just put the net on top to neaten it all up. If I end up just making a basic bun, I'll still do that. But as I said above, I am liking the rope braid bun -- the way things have been working for me so far, I like the resulting shape better than the basic bun, plus it looks more intricate than its level of difficulty. But if I put a net on top after it's done, it mushes it all together so I can't particularly see the pretty patterns. I saw on one of the dancesport hair tutorials on youtube that she put sections of her hair into the hairnets, pinned to the ponytail band, before she styled those sections. I've tried that a couple of times -- two nets, one for each section of hair that will be twisted into the rope braid -- and it seemed to work well once and not at all once. So, the question -- when/how do y'all use the hair nets? First, last, middle? I clearly need to practice, but I'm wondering which technique I should be practicing.
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I use hair nets 2 ways
    1. I usually divide my pony into 2 or 3 sections. I put a net on each section and swirl them around each other for a sculpted bun
    2. For a low bun, I put my hair in a pony, backcomb it like crazy, put a net over the whole thing and pin from there. That way I get volume in my bun without using fake hair which I detest
  19. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

double post sorry
  20. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Speaking of hair swirlies, I have a question.

How do you make them work best? For my last comp, we sort of twisted the hair, but it didn't really get the look I was after - the strands of hair all flowing the same way.

How do you keep it all together and changing directions nicely? DP's GF, who is doing my hair, wants to use gel, but I think that'd make my hair too dark.