Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

once I have flat-ironed my hair, it will pretty much do whatever I want it to do, without having to twist it...I do not use hairnets at all
  2. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks, all. I clearly have more experimenting to do. One more question. If I bejeezus spray my hair the night before, can I flat-iron it in the morning without fire/hair damage/gucky flat-iron? Or if I flat-iron it first, can I have any hope that the bejeezus spraying will keep my wavy wispy hair smooth overnight?
  3. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

Can someone help me? I have very short blonde hair, neck length with fringe, think Liza Minelli circa 1980. For my first latin comp, my friend combed it with a side part and and slicked /glued it to my head basically in a boy-like shape. Did not move, but not my best look. I notice some pros with short hair do not slick back but keep it loose so that it moves as their head moves, which is how I look best. Can I do that for gold syllabus latin comp? Just add hair jewelry to side? Can I keep the fringe? My pro is very slicked back.
  4. shava

shava Member

I have very short vivid red hair in a similar cut & don't do anything different for comps other than spray it stiff. Refuse to slick it back or give up my bangs. I know what looks best on me & slicked down without bangs is not a good look for me. Have never heard of a judge complaining about my hair rebellion.
    dncergrl likes this.
  5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I'm not good at them yet myself, but see posts #179-181 in this thread. A video with the hair glue method:

I use a bit of the glue for smoothing out stubborn curly wisps, but I agree with others earlier in the thread that it does dull the hair a bit and that you have to work fast. And then not touch it again, because if you mess with it after it's dry, you get white flakes.

And a video with the pin and spray method:

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I pin and spray for the body of the swirl and then glue down the end so I get a nice clean point without flyaways or pin creases.
  7. mindputtee

One of our newcomers has gorgeous blonde hair down to her ankles. She has agreed to let me do it for her for competition (I AM SO EXCITED) and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts for things to do with it. It's quite thick at the base, when I gathered it into a ponytail it was easily 1" in diameter, and gradually gets thinner as it goes.
  8. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

WOW
    I wish I had suggestions. Lots of hair nets, I suppose. Twisting in and out of each other, maybe.
  9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

ANKLES?! Holy crap! Um....multiple buns made with multiple ponytails, I guess? A giant mound of hair?

I can't even comprehend this. I know of a girl who has about butt-length hair and that is hard enough for me to understand.
    s2k likes this.
  10. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

994940_10200624610004742_126408558_n.jpg Mindputtee, if it is ankle length and heavy I would try a high pony and a low pony as two bases, like on the picture
    5678dance likes this.
  11. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

this girl actually has very long hair, so can do so many designs with it
    47088_3668230311420_837536056_n.jpg
    Miss Silly and nikkitta like this.
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

On this picture, I now want to know how to do her makeup!!!
  13. mindputtee

I was thinking lots of swirls, some braided, some not. Two ponies is a good idea, I didn't think one would hold it tight enough with that much weight behind it! I'll be sure to post pictures of the finished product.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I just came across this photo. Cool hair stoning idea, huh? If you have the patience...
    [​IMG]
  15. Sania

Sania Active Member

I think a lot of those fabulous looks are about having the patience, if you are doing it yourself
  16. mindputtee

Or minions to do it for you. There was a picture from my last comp where I'm fully in costume, someone is stoning my hair, and I'm doing another girl's hair. Efficiency.
    FancyFeet likes this.
  17. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Sounds like what we used to do before starting sparring in Taekwondo. Everybody'd make a long chest pad-tying train, because the placement of the laces (on the back of the vest) means that you can't tie it without help.
  18. mindputtee

19. s2k

s2k Active Member

I had my hair done this past weekend, and the stylist did cut off portions of the hairnet. I'd never seen that done, but she does lots of heads so I went with it. I didn't find my hair looked dull after she was finished.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dress her up and call her "Rapunzel?"