Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

I sometimes cut the ends of hairnets off, but do not remove entire hairnet. Use oil for shine. Blond hair normally is not as shiny anyway as dark hair

2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

What kind of oil do you use?

Miss Silly likes this.
  3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

How do you apply the oil? From my own experimentation, oil (and most shine-specific products) seem to undo the hold-power of gels and hairsprays.... like the two are mutually exclusive, so i'm having to chose between hold or shine. I usually go for the hold since my shine-experiments have not been overly successful.

4. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

I use argan oil product for hair. Not sure about the brand, but I can look when I get home. I think it is just called argan oil. Got it at a CVS. I take two pumps into my palm, rub my hands together and then gently put over finished hairstyle. I had no difficulty with the oil dissolving Got2b, not even the smoothoperator one. Gives natural shine not the high gloss though. I did not care for a lot of shine products with a spray, because spray always came out uneven. My stylist taught me to put the product in the hands and run it through the hair, and that worked.

llamasarefuzzy and Miss Silly like this.
  5. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

As an example, this is the amount of shine I get 996015_10152210117420278_1208020492_n.jpg

SwayWithMe, dancelvr, Ailuene and 4 others like this.
  6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

yay awesome! Thank you. Do you mind if i add that picture to my pinterest collection of dancesport hair?

7. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

don't mind, thanks :)

Miss Silly likes this.
  8. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

*cries* I don't want to think about hair again. I have about 5 more inches of hair than I did my last competition but it's still 8 inches less than I had last year for Badger and Ohio. I don't style short well...

9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Argan oil, also known as Moroccan oil, is great stuff. It's a dry oil, so it's the only one that doesn't weigh down my fine hair. And, even with my bleach-white-blond color, it does give hair some light-reflective qualities.

Miss Silly and Lorelei like this.
  10. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

dry oil? I learned something new about it... It does feel much lighter then other oils now that I think of it

11. Sania

Sania Active Member

it's supposed to be really good for your skin too - lots of high end and 'natural' skin care products advertise including it

12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Ahhh i have some of that Moroccan oil. I kinda like the smell actually. I actually have the spray-oil version though...I'll have to try it on top of got2b gel.

13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thanks again. Your head is making the rounds ;-P it's gotten re-pinned a few times already LOL (it is gorgeous!!)

Lorelei likes this.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

We need to see your bleach white blond color in your avatar! :)

Ailuene likes this.
  15. dancelvr

It's back-lit, so this is not the greatest photo, but....here ya go. :)

Lorelei and nikkitta like this.
  16. dancelvr

I haven't tried the spray-on version. I think that might work better for me. I'll have to give it a whirl. And, yeah....I think the oil smells good too.

17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Lorelei.... Love the hairstyle. Out of curiosity, how long is your hair? I've been trying to step up my hair game and am curious if styles like these are possible with shoulder length hair

Lorelei likes this.
  18. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I think if you have a lot of hair to begin with, and tease it a lot? Or get creative with extensions.

I'm growing out my hair specifically so I can do more with it, but it's super fine and there's not a lot, so...yeah.

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  19. Sania

Sania Active Member

Looks great!

dancelvr likes this.
  20. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

I went and looked - the product I used is redken all soft argan 6, but this is not to say any other argan oil would not work

llamasarefuzzy, thanks! My hair is shoulder blade length and I am growing out the bangs. With shoulder length hair, I would say buy a pony tail in your color, and you can cut off strands, put an clear elastic like Diane's brand (found in Sally Beauth Supply for example) around the base to secure it, and you can use it in your bun for more volume, or for the designs.

scullystwin42 likes this.