Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Middy, my hair is super fine and kind of limp by itself, so I do backcomp it. Also, we did a style on nyhauteweek channel for about shoulder length hair, if you search youtube for easy ballroom style for short hair

2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Thank you! :)

3. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Wow! I would have never guessed a hairstyle that intricate looking would be possible with shoulder-blade length hair! :eek:

4. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

WOW. I never would have guessed that possible with shoulder length hair. That's really impressive!

5. dncergrl

dncergrl Active Member

If you ladies are flying to a comp, do you pack hairspray in your checked bag, find a small can for carry on or just buy it when you are there. Ditto for tan spray.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

No spray in the carry-on.
    I pack my tanner and hairspray in my checked bags.

7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I'm impressed too! I had let my hair grow to almost shoulder length. But after a battle last weekend before a competition between me and my almost shoulder length hair, out came the scissors :meh: I was not born with the patience for styling longer hair and I have a new admiration for anyone who can.

slhull.13 likes this.
  8. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I never liked checking my bags. So I would just bring a carry on and pack small travel size cans of Freeze It. I would usually do most of my tanning before I left home and then bring along a small container for one more application. I guess it depends on how much you are dancing though.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, a teacher or student dancing from Wednesday morning until Sunday night will need far more than a 3 oz can of hair spray and tan.

jiwinco likes this.
  10. Choccie

Choccie New Member

Hi all. I have just joined this forum and am having great fun learning all the tips and tricks!
    We have just started competing and have a weekend comp coming up. This will be the first time I have attempted to do something with my hair. I have a chin length bob and have bought a "hair scrunchie". I have put my hair up a couple of times using the scrunchie (it's basically a scrunchie made of hair). They recommend pulling the hair back into a small ponytail then put a small stick behind the ponytail attach one side to the stick and then figure of eight the other bit and put that over the other end of the stick. I'm a bit worried that it will fall out - I have hung upside down and shaken my head and it did stay put - which is more than can be said for all the other bits of hair that went flying around. I had really underestimated the amount of gel and spray that I will need. More practice tomorrow I feel.

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these scrunchies before and if so how they found it?

11. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Use lots of bobby/hair pins and make sure the bobby pins go into the rubber band that holds the pony tail. You can also criss-cross boby pins to kind of lock them into place.

12. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've used one, but my hair is a bit longer so I pin my hair over/around the scrunchie, which secures it in place. It sounds like you have a stumpy ponytail and then use the hair scrunchie as an entire fake bun though? Um...use a ton of bobby pins, more than you think you need. For this, I think the flat kind of bobby pin that you have to pry open will be a bit more secure than the ones that start out open. A hairnet will help and add some extra support, as well as keep it neat.

Likewise, tons of gel and spray on everything. I recommend slicking it all back, slighty damp, with a bunch of gel, combing with a fine-tooth comb or a boar's hair brush to smooth everything out. Blast with some hot air from a hairdryer on low, smooth some more, add some more gel, repeat. Spray with a freezing hair spray, hairdryer, then repeat the spray. Your hair will feel like plastic, but it won't move!

Miss Silly likes this.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I just found this video.... this guy is an artist.

smidra86, 5678dance, middy and 2 others like this.
  14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

:starts taking notes:

I just wish I knew what he was saying.

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

hahahhaha! we need a translator!!!

I likely won't be able to do most of this myself, but at least it's an idea of how some of the stuff is done (like the front bits) that i might be able to try...... with lots of practice.....

16. bluslu

bluslu Active Member

I just bought a fake pony tail so I have more hair to work with. For someone else who can actually style my hair.

17. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I've used a fake pony tail in the past and it worked great.

18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Here's a longer video of just one style... I cut & paste the google translation below hahah. Don't glue stones on an empty mind!

For display stones need 10-12 stones 10 mm (not to be very large "stones", it is not fashionable) and 30-50 "twenties".For the most hairstyles only nail and hair dryers, no gels, not to thicken the layer of hair to be smooth.You can do one tail, not two.Divide it into two strands: the upper smaller, lower more.From the base of the tail fantasy anchoring device (shell) in the grid, and the upper divide into 2-3 pieces and laid in a "zig-zag" from flat strips of strands after brushing their gel (this is where you need it).Then - the posting of stones on the "beam" is also sticking.The main thing - do not be too clever by half with zigzags and stones.Do not glue the stones on an "empty" mind, let it be at least one small piece of jewelry from pryadochek.

19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

20. Choccie

Choccie New Member

Thanks Middy

Yes my ponytail is little more than a stump! I had another go at it today and had seriously underestimated the amount of gel and spray required. Thinking rather naively that it would look nice if left looser and more natural!! Hadn't thought about a hairnet so will add one to the list. Hoping to have a dummy run before the comp.