Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

I wonder what sort of combs they use in those videos... i use a comb to do my hair but it seems to always leaves separation between the different strands. Do boar's hair combs exist? Do you think it's something like that?

2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

it kinda looks like a record cleaner brush

3. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I have a teasing comb on my wish-list for Christmas, as I'm just not getting the results I want from a regualr one. They're available at beauty supply stores, and I expect that's what they're using in the video to bulk up the ponytails.

To smooth, I use a fine tooth comb followed by a boar hair/synthethic blend brush.

5678dance likes this.
  4. s2k

s2k Active Member

I got my boar's bristle brush at a Sally beauty, but I've seen them at regular drugstores as well.

5678dance and stash like this.
  5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Sally is the best :) Going there tonight to pick up more blond tint and maybe a crazy color for my hair. Over all they have a huge selection of hair and beauty products that are salon oriented, but at a fairly inexpensive price. Also if you get their membership card, you get amazing discounts as well.

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

If you're considering going red, I'd recommend trying the semi perm pots of manic panic. They cost as much as a perm color, but you get many uses out of them. Since red fades so quickly, I realized I was having to refresh it every 2-3 weeks to keep it looking nice. This ends up being cheaper, brighter (it seems to oxidize less in the sun, so it just fades instead of turning brassy) and I think it's nicer on your hair. They sell a "diluter" too so you can get more of a red tint than straight up fire engine.

ETA: You also get less obvious roots with a bit of a fade down.

Lioness likes this.
  7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Nope. Not going red.

8. latervet1

latervet1 Member

What do you think he was painting no the blond girls hair?
    And that videographer needs to hold still! I was getting nauseated.

Miss Silly likes this.
  9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm wondering the same thing! It must be the magical SECRET product i'm looking for... i just know it.

(and i agree--the videography was a little Blair Witch)

10. nikkitta

according to the "translation":
    bride's hairstyle require special performance of Sochi expiate and for this purpose a special brush with certain portions of that pay all townships and removing static voltage a special brush petersburg people a very important attribute of such a book and studs available forged prizes

11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

LMAO!!!! .... so... can i order online? ;-P

12. nikkitta

Check out the translation starting @2:15--
    "God created Adam
    bastard he miss Sunday
    decided to create a cushion
    brain that you do not know
    you can choose
    make calls
    would be better for me to do a suitcase
    every job
    creation of particles taxes
    nor is the
    it will be wiser
    made her silver
    what was the heart is always a challenge and a hand"

*blink*blink*... :eek:

Miss Silly likes this.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

AAAHAHAHhahahahaha. Whaaat????!

14. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Adding to this...recommending the Alfaparf "Jean's Colour" in Chili Red...super bright, and cheaper than Manic Panic...also less likely to stain the shower in the wash-off.

If you want to keep red hair looking fresh, add a little bit to your conditioner when you wash your hair. Mix it all up and leave it for about 5 minutes.

I started off using permanent colours to dye my hair, but this is cheaper, brighter, and better for my hair. I don't have to bleach it to get a bright colour, and you can leave vegetable-based dyes in for hours! You can see the difference in my dance photos in terms of standing out on the floor.

15. Choccie

Choccie New Member

Well first day of competing over - no places today but I followed your tips and my hair stayed put so that's a bonus!

Terpsichorean Clod and Lioness like this.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Awesome!

I saw three open Latin dancer girls' hair start to come loose this past comp...yikes. Not that mine was perfect, but it did not come loose for the most part - just a couple stray hairs that needed some extra gel.

17. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Thanks for this! I had been only using a comb and wasn't entirely satisfied with the smoothness. But I went to Sally the other day and got a boar bristle brush -- tried it out yesterday. So much better! What would I do without DF?

s2k and 5678dance like this.
  18. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

I DON'T KNOW :dancingbanana: lolz have a lot more time for other things??

Ailuene, stash and middy like this.
  19. gilded_lili

gilded_lili New Member

I would suggest to anyone looking for a good comb, avoid the plastic ones. You'll get smoother results and less static with a wood or bone comb. And I swear by my boar bristle and wood teasing brush-- lots of volume, minimal damage.

20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

All I have ever used... ever... in 25 years...

I use this to do a basic brush out.
    brush.jpg

And this to finish and detail.
    rat_tail_comb.jpg

Nothing fancy. Nothing expensive.

5678dance and fascination like this.