Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Several judges at (I think it was Embassy?) were interviewed regarding what they look for when judging Pro-Am competitors. The videos are on YouTube. Most of them mentioned grooming.

I can't provide any links, as I can't access YouTube from my work computer. However, Toni Redpath gave an especially detailed and cohesive explaination in her video. Very interesting.

2. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Do you think men with long hair should cut it?

Toni Redpath - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSfgP7doKc4
    Irina Suvorov - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7WI3AQZffs

You could just go here - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=emerald ball interview to see them all

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fair or not, when I see things like hair flying around or put up haphazardly, if it is college or beginning pro-am, I feel it reflects poorly on the pro or the coach...because a newb can't be expected to know these things and if the coach or pro doesn't care enough or know enough to bother to explain, then they are also IMV, not likely to be very meticulous in their instruction as well and the entire over all package will be sub par...there are exceptions, where you will see an awesome dancer poorly groomed but it is, IME very rare....

5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Emerald Ball also has a long list of "interviews" with judges. And California Open on You Tube from 2011 has the judges talking as the comp is going behind them. The large percentage mention grooming.
    That said, here is my 2cents for what it's worth. When I started - my pro literally KNEW NOTHING about the ladys "hair" issues and judges expectations...but I had seen "hair up". I knew enough to put my own hair up in a simple french twist. My ballroom sister insisted on keeping her hair down as she didn't want anyone to "mess" with her hair. hmmmm Pictures say a thousand words - even in NewComer. Onward to a comp later on - Scheduled "hair" appt with the only vendor available....to try this out rather than me doing my hair.- 1 a.m. in the morning before my 8 a.m. dance time...phone call....the vendor is sick and cancelling all appointments. YIKES. We won't go into how many Pro Male Teachers now had to help their students and run to a 24 hour drug store for supplies (lesson learned). There are multiple things that can and do happen but in the end....if a person is going to invest their time, money (regardless of how little or how much), effort into a Dance Competition - the grooming and hair...should be what is expected and it doesn't have to be an intricate updo. Take some time and learn how to do the hair without the fly-aways, using pins, spray and such. At a recent competition - I relived the "why didn't you tell me I had to have my hair up for this" when a newcomer questioned her pro before taking the floor. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe a check off cheat sheet list for grooming should be developed. sigh.

6. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my thought as well. i know my own instructor conveyed the need around this pretty clearly: "make nothing move". :)

i would not have known, otherwise, other than how pros look during their own comps.

8. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Yes. Then again, I'm probably in the minority but I'm old-fashioned when it comes to this. When I see men dancing ballroom, wearing tails on their coat is good, on their head--not so good.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  9. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

You are all welcome.

LOL!!!!

11. ktia85

ktia85 Member

I have actually seen one for both men and women somewhere. I will see if I can find it.

12. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

My team had a newcomer checklist but I imagine it is of limited usefulness to a non-collegiate audience.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I agree with the mouse. Men with long hair can get away with it in Latin, but it just looks wrong in Standard. Do you really want to start out from a negative position in your grooming?

14. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

How about some of those beautiful intricate designs? I bet men could rock them, too! :p:p:p

15. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Now I have a problem!!
    I have kept my hair one length and long specifically for competition and the "hair ladies" always do a great job with my hair, but outside of comp a pretty blah hair cut...

So finally I cut it into a really nice bob with layers and I love it, but now comp coming up is a problem.... I really dont like the fake buns but seems that is going to be my only option....
    Found one I kind of like but how on earth do you match up your hair with thoes tiny colors on the internet site. Along with the bob my hair has lots of highlights too.

I dont want to wait and get one at the comp because I stink at doing my own hair and need practice time... Any suggestions from anyone???

16. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You've decided to hold your nose and get a bun?

If so, I've taken two different approaches. One. Use a temporary rinse to change my hair to the same color as the bun. Two, stuff my fake bun into a ballet-style bun-holder. That way, color mismatches are masked.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

omg...what a wild trend for the future...imagine women with sleek short hair and men with designer hair. could be interesting...

18. pygmalion

Oh! The imagery! :lol:

19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Don't know how short your bob is, but I have very short hair that I usually just slick down with a lot of gel, hairspray, and pins. Then I add some sparklies to the side.

20. pygmalion

Very cute. And there is (or at least was) photographic evidence here in DF, somewhere. Very cute.