Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Question - is there any glue for rhinestoning hair that is actually 100% clear? Does the Elmers blue gel stuff work? I'm dancing open smooth in the morning and syllabus Latin in the afternoon and would need to remove stones to comply with the USA Dance rules, or not stone my hair at all.
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Another option would be to put the stones on a ribbon that you can pin in and take out. I've always found glue spots in my hair after taking the stones out.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I had the coolest hair piece once that a friend made. It was based on a wire that had mesh covering it. the wire would bend in any direction and than keep the desired shape and the mesh matched the hair color so it would not show at all. All you could see were the stones glued onto the mesh... it would also work well for your situation..

Or try E6000 and mid sized stones glued onto bobby pins. They stay on well and are easy to remove after
    Miss Silly likes this.
  4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Ooh, I do have these tiny bobby pins that I can experiment with. I suppose Gemtac isn't strong enough to keep the stones on, with such little surface area.
  5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

NO you really need something that will keep them on permanently :) I highly recommend e6000 for that. I still have some pins with stones that I made like 7 years ago.
  6. mindputtee

Do any of you have tips for doing Asian hair? I'm going to be doing a girl's hair for competition (a style that will work for both Latin and Standard) next weekend, but I've never had great luck getting Asian hair to behave. Her hair is thick and comes to a bit past her shoulders. Any particular products or techniques that work best?
  7. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Hmm my hair probably isn't as thick as hers but I personally spray my entire head really well with a heavy duty spray before working with it. Then I just work really fast to get whatever style I want. Generally I find styles with braids work better for my hair because after it's completely sprayed, my hair will stay in braids pretty easily, which can then be wrapped into a back-combed ponytail bun with a hairnet holding it in place.

Don't know if that helps at all, but yeah. :) Also a whole lot of hairspray. I find that gel really doesn't work for my hair, if that's any help too.
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Low bun works best if the hair is really heavy and thick.

Use a ton of hairspray and use it through out the process.

Use a hair net, you can use it to help form the bun too. Use lots of pins; I use large flat bobby pins to anchor the bun initially and then use smaller either hair pins or bobby pins to shape and hold the edges of the bun. Make sure you cross the bobby pins for better hold.

Good luck!
  9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm Asian but do not have the typical thick Asian hair...jealous.

I'm guessing you can be a little more generous with gel?
  10. mindputtee

I was thinking about trying this out:
    Maybe doing that in the front and then pulling the rest into a low bun? I probably should get some large flat bobbys, I've got black hair nets, U pins, and lots of normal sized bobby pins, but some big ones might be useful.

I don't want to go real basic, I feel like that would be shortchanging her. I haven't used gel in a while, but maybe that's the solution. I did a different girl's latin hair and fought with it for a good 20 minutes just trying to get it in a sleek pony. Ended up going through section by section and just spraying hair spray (as per Larinda's suggestion up thread) and that helped.
  11. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

mindputtee likes this.
  12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

The names of these are the best part. I had to fight back laughter when I read "hippie wedding".
    middy likes this.
  13. Sania

Sania Active Member

The baby's breath in the beard made me laugh out loud.
    FancyFeet and Ailuene like this.
  14. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

I am so linking this to one of the guys in our club that has very long, luxurious hair. :p
    Sania likes this.
  15. mindputtee

16. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Quick question. I've been having some degree of luck using the multiple hairnet strategy mentioned in some of the videos posted earlier in the thread. The only problem is, when I go to spray the hairstyle at the end, the hairnet picks up all sorts of hairspray and turns almost whitish. Any thoughts on how to keep the net invisible? Do people just spray like crazy then cut the net off?
  17. mindputtee

I don't usually spray the net at the end, I'll either cover it with my hand, or just avoid it. With enough pins, I don't find the hair in the net needs the spray (and it makes clean up later easier). The other thing you could do is just make sure to pat down the spray or wipe it. From my experience I only get whiteness with the spray if the particles are drying in the droplet form and not getting smoothed into the hair.
    llamasarefuzzy and Ailuene like this.
  18. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks!
  19. chuckie1028

chuckie1028 Member

YES I am so with you on this, I hate when I see simply ponytails, its like come on man this is a competition where EVERYTHING counts, if you can't put in the time for something simple like hair you shouldn't be competing IMO. (I also hate the high cone head bun some women wear, so ugly. Another I hate is the "bobby" hair cut, when its cut so short with the bangs, just does not look good).
  20. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

I think Carmen would disagree with you about the bob haircut...

I'm also not a fan of the high cone head bun (it looks "exotic" in a who-ville way to me) but I've seen some girls rock a ponytail for a comp. as long as it's done neatly, I think it looks just as good as a simple low bun (and definitely better than a bun donut with not enough pins to hold it in...always weird to see the whole bun look like it's falling off the girl's head in one piece).