Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

I feel like hate is kind of a strong word for hairstyles.Especially when some girls start, they have very little to no experience doing their hair. To say that they shouldn't even bother competing if they simply haven't gained the practice/skills they need to do this seems a bit extreme to me. Yes hairstyles do matter, especially at higher levels, but I don't think they should keep you from dancing.

And I concur that a sleek, polished ponytail - even if done simply - can look very nice, especially in Latin/Rhythm.
    Miss Silly and Sania like this.
  2. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I never fail to see photos of ladies dancing Pro Am in $$$$ dresses, with little to no effort put into their hair and makeup. Makes no sense to me!

Newbies, I agree that keeping it simple and neat is perfectly OK.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Yes, just master the basic clean low bun and you'll be good for anything, at least through silver and probably gold. :)
  4. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

And this is one of the MANY reasons why I don't compete ... I'm not going to goop up my hair or my face, and I refuse to tan (either real or fake) ... I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on a dress to wear a few times ... so if that's what competition means, leave me out.

Hmmm ... that sounds more negative than I meant, but still, competition is not for everyone.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I have to admit - when I first saw the article, my initial reaction was, "ok, maybe dancesport has warped my brain, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting out of it what I'm supposed to get out of this." [That is, I think they were going for "'fancy-lady hair' is fundamentally ridiculous" rather than "hmm, there's actually some potential in some of these".]
    middy likes this.
  6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what they were going for...maybe just making a "guys with long hair don't get to do this" statement and letting people decide for themselves whether that's a good or bad thing.
  7. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

I smooth out hairspray droplets with fingers or back of the comp very quickly before they dry.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  8. chuckie1028

chuckie1028 Member

Ok maybe that was too harsh upon first read, let me clarify, if you are not a professional and are starting out, yes of course the standard of appearance is not as high because we already mentioned to keep up the appearance is costly (however also as previously mentioned there are alternatives to still looking presentable). My comment is more towards professionals that spend little time on hair, i've seen pro comps where some have sloppy ponytails that look they just put it up before going out. I'm sorry but to me that is unacceptable in a high professional level where judges are looking at everything including appearance and if you're dancing next to a couple who went all out on their appearance while you have a sloppy ponytail, well it will show in marks (fair or unfair it is what it is). Now beginners is a different story, the standard is different and expectations not as high due to finances and lack of experience.
  9. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Ah I see that makes more sense then. :)
  10. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

I'm glad you could clarify, sounds like we're on the same page (except on bob-style haircuts, I still think they work really well on ladies like Carmen and Natalie).
    chuckie1028 and Miss Silly like this.
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Does anyone have ideas for a simply hairstyle that would suit quite a large frame?

Doing hair for a friend of mine at the next comp, and she has quite a wide facial structure and broad shoulders. Is there anything more likely to minimise that?
  12. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

I would do slick back sides and maybe a poof or some design on the top of the head with a lot of volume if you want to lengthen the face. A simple snookie poof is easy enough :) Otherwise a high bun might be a good simple option
  13. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

These are the before and after pictures for the girl with the reaally long hair. It took 2.5 hours, 100 hairpins, and 80% of a can of hairspray to do! I ended up pulling out some of those more obvious pins after the hairspray was fully dry, but I had to run so I didn't have time to snap another picture later. My clean up skills also need work.

Attached Files:

Lioness, scullystwin42 and 5678dance like this.
  14. bia

bia Active Member

Wow, I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
  15. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I would totally hire you :)
  16. mindputtee

I'll be at MAC! ;)
  17. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Did she dance at NCC? I swear I also saw the longest braid I've ever seen during the Latin session as well! It was incredible! :eek:
  18. mindputtee

Yes! I did her hair for that one too! That braid was fun, you probably couldn't tell, but it actually split in two, came back together, and then split again. The stuff you can do with 5 feet of hair!
    Ailuene likes this.
  19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

After all those hair tutorials, DPs GF and I finally came up with a simple style that looks really good on the floor! I use it for Latin and standard.

image.jpg
  20. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Super cool. I would have never guessed!

Very pretty. I like that you can use it for both of the styles and it looks fabulous with the red!