Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Ok, I am THE worst hairdresser for doing those little swirly bits.

Does anyone either know

a) tips and tricks apart from gel and stuff. Anything that's maybe really obvious that I've overlooked?

b) where to buy hairpieces like this from, in bright red. Most places have them in blonde or brown or black...but not red.

[​IMG]
    IvyAB likes this.
  2. Lioness

Bonus points if anywhere sells red hair nets.
  3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Bunheads brand makes auburn hairnets. Not flaming red like your hair, but...
  4. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Something I learned not soon enough for doing the swirls..... it's very helpful once you have it gel-ed/sprayed/pinned down, blast it with a blow dryer on the cool setting. This makes it set really well, shiny, and prevents fly-aways. You can blast the swirls as you do them and then again at the end. And the most important tool is patience haha
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I use large U pins to get the hair to make the shapes I want for large pieces and small alligator clips for the ends or smaller pieces, then got2b glued freeze spray to make them rock solid. I remove as many of the pins as I think is safe and only leave a couple to tack it to my head after it's FULLY dry.
  6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I glue the swirls down (after they're hard) to the hair slicked against my scalp with a bit of got2b spiking glue
  7. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Lioness, that first pic you posted back in June totally had me thinking someone had grabbed a photo of me from facebook!!! Same color hair, same fair skin, same profile (ish).

I've been using blonde hair nets--the red shows right through.
  8. TakeTwo

TakeTwo New Member

Quick question: I'm getting my hair done for a comp by a professional for the first time. At a salon I customarily tip - is this a practice with hair/make-up vendors at competitions?
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

IMO, I wouldn't, at the salon the person who does your hair is an employee of the salon and doesn't get paid much and usually works off of tips, while the vendors at competitions are all self owned and so they set their price high enough to be able to cover vending fees and other fees and still make a profit. It's like if you were at a salon and got your hair cut by the owner, you technically aren't supposed to tip the owner. But this is just my opinion.
  11. s2k

s2k Active Member

I do give a small cash tip, as a "thank you," and so that if I need any extra anything that weekend, or if I need some help with a future appointment, I may be remembered more positively and therefore someone may be more willing to drop everything and help me. And depending on how early my appointment is, I always ask if there is a hot beverage I can bring them - a coffee or a tea - because it seems like a nice thing to do for so darn early in the morning!

But I have only had positive experiences - if I was unhappy with the service or the style, I would probably not offer a tip.
  12. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I used to to, but I was told by others that it was not necessary as the stylists at the comps are a self owned business.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I do not tip the hair vendor.
  14. TakeTwo

TakeTwo New Member

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.
  15. s2k

s2k Active Member

Ponytail question: I cannot get my ponytails to stay put. Therefore, I don't dance in ponytails. But I would like to!

I've got thick hair: I stretch out and snap elastics on a regular basis. There's a natural wave in the back, so that volume doesn't help. My hair's length is blunt cut and down to just above my brassiere strap.

I've tried wrapping the ponytail's elastic with hair to help anchor it; I've tried multiple elastic band types (that's a lie, by the way, that the clear ones are "non-pulling." Lies!). It just seems like after about 30 minutes of dance practice and doing rounds the whole thing starts to sag. I'm constantly readjusting it so obviously if it won't stay put in rehearsal I won't attempt it at a comp. I have no idea how to get it tight!

So if you're a ponytail wearer, how do you get it to stay put on your head?
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I use either real rubberbands, which are horrible for your hair but they hold....and/or I use one over another
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Also, make sure your hair isn't freshly washed and slick. If you must wash it that day, use a bit of hairspray or texturizer or dry shampoo at the roots and mid lengths where the ponytail holder will sit to give it a bit more to grab onto. My favorite elastics for super stay are these:
    upload_2014-6-20_10-39-25.png
  18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Did you find what you were looking for? This hairpiece is Tamishyo. Although reds (i imagine) are difficult to match. I'm easy with black hair :) and I have a couple of these hair ornaments, which are really nicely made.

I've been trying to figure out how their made, but i'm not sure i'll manage to crack that secret.
  19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I've seen a video somewhere... can't think of it now so i'll try to explain it LOL but ever since i've done this, it makes a massive difference.

(although my hair is thin, but it's worht a try).

Make about 3-4 pony tails inside of pony tails. I'll section off parts of my hair, starting with a chunk 'inside' the back of my head and make a small pony tail. Then i pick up other sections (usually the bottom next) and then use another elastic and add that to the pony tail. Then i'll add the sides, and elastic that to the growing pony. Then the top. This helps me get my hair a lot smoother too since i'm not getting those 'hair bubbles' happening in one section while i'm trying to smooth out another.

I'm not sure I explained that well, did that make sense? LOL

But it makes a super sturdy pony!
  20. Lioness

Didn't manage to find any. I didn't look very hard, though. I just cut all my hair off and took a break from competing.