Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

I've seen all of them, I know exactly what you were talking about, and If I were a judge, it would totally bother me, no doubt, collegiate competition IS COMPETITION TOO! Just because lack of budget, skills etc doesn't give an excuse for not making effort to look the part, plus, hair stuff is really inexpensive, tons of youtube videos teach how to, so yeah, I'd totally mark down the couples look like just roll out of bed.

2. s2k

s2k Active Member

So, it's "Ponytail Inception," is what I think you're saying! Ha! I'll try that today! Thanks!

Miss Silly and JudeMorrigan like this.
  3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

BAAAAAHAHAHAHA omg. Excellent.

4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's a great idea! The part that always seems to take me the longest is getting the foundation ponytail(s) smooth. Making the actual curlicues doesn't take as long.

FancyFeet and Miss Silly like this.
  5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I have Rhythm and Standard on the same day..... Getting hair and makeup done by vendor, but have no idea what would work for both styles?

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

classic chignon, low bun with minimal hair jewelry...or go pony tail and make the tail into the bun after rhythm

MaggieMoves, SwayWithMe and jiwinco like this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Thanks...Im thinking a low bun. First time that I'm dancing 2 different styles on one day. It should be an experience.

8. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I know how you feel. I always did it in college, where everything's a one day comp (at least almost everything), but I'm a little antsy about doing it for my first pro/am and open amateur competition experience (since I feel like the standard of polish and presentation is suddenly much higher for me).

But I'm a guy, so I guess I have very little to whine about here.

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Well then, as a guy, you should *definitely* have a low bun and nothing too elaborate :D ;)

Sania, Joe, SwayWithMe and 4 others like this.
  10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I think I've seen a guy with a French braid before, matching his partner's. Definitely a little out there.

I chopped all my hair off into a pixie this summer and can't think of anything better to do with it for comps, other than put lots of spray and a bit of gel into it, along with a few rhinestoned bobby pins. Maybe I'll master the finger wave at some point, but it seems way too challenging at the moment.

Lioness likes this.
  11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That's pretty much all I do with a pixie. I found these cool hairpieces that I'm considering using if my hair doesn't grow out (again) before I find a partner.

293321_177926178954150_1106970864_n.jpg

12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I've had the sides of my head shaved (very ballroom-esque, i know!) and used those fake do's ^^^

13. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I'm hoping someone can help me with some styling tips just for the front. I think I can handle the back - going to do either the donut bun-thingy or ponytail into two hairnets and wrapped around each other. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with the front. I don't think my forehead is very flattering so I really don't like it all just pulled back. How do I make a poof that stays in place or at least give it some kind of lift up front and secure it? Even parting on the side, I'm not sure if I should be twisting it or...

I'm dancing a multi-dance bronze level next weekend, so it doesn't have to be out-of-my dance level elaborate. Easy enough for me to do by myself. Thanks so much!

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Section out the part you want to use for your poof before you make your ponytail, and then make your ponytail. Lightly spray the poof hair with hairspray and then back comb it. A lot. Use a smoothing brush to get a clean top edge and then secure the tail bit into the already created ponytail with another small elastic and hairspray it some more.

15. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thank you mindputtee, I will give that a try.

16. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Mindputtee has an excellent suggestion. If your hair is course and thick enough, you can also slide your fingers into the top of your hair when it is in a ponytail, entering the hair at the forehead, sliding your fingers back toward the ponytail, and then squeezing your fingers together and pulling the hair back toward your face. You can poof up as much or as little as you like. It will also require a bit of smoothing as Mindputtee described above and you MUST do this part before winding and spraying the ponytail in the back. It is not pleasant to try to pull the hair forward once it has been bobbypinned and glued into place.

I find this technique works as well as leaving the section out for my hair and is MUCH faster. My hair is very thick though, and course enough to hold that poof without a lot of extra support. Really fine hair may not be able to support the shape on its own without backcombing, so I would practice first.

17. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Thank you Wannabee, I will be practicing with my hair today. My hair is thin, but I seem to have a lot of it (it's also naturally curly too). Have a feeling it's going to be a day of battle - and I hope I'm the victor lol!

18. Piggles

Piggles Member

I'm not sure whether I should start a new thread or continue this one (and I haven't had the chance to read through this entire thread yet to see if it contains what I'm looking for):

I'm competing only Latin this weekend and have recently had my hair cut to a short bob. No buns/ponytails this time. What styling products would you recommend for keeping a bob tidy for a full day of dancing? I have thick hair that tends to get a little wavy and unruly when its wet/sweaty (and I sweat...). I want the hair to have movement when I dance so I can't just wax/gel it into shape.

Any recommendations (dos/don'ts) are much appreciated! :)

19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Just based on what popped into my head, I think you've got a few options:
    1) a really good frizz-fighting lightweight straightening balm, then flat-iron and use a flexible-hold hairspray. Dry shampoo or hairspray at the roots should help with volume and also keep the frizzies down.
    2) work with the tendancy for it to curl, kind of like this: http://dancesportinfo.net/Articles/7941
    3) add a fabric hairband to the straight-hair option, gelling just the portion in front of the band to keep it flat and shiny, letting the rest move. This might help fight the "curl up" tendancy.

20. Piggles

Piggles Member

Thanks FancyFeet! :)