Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I have a friend who cut her hair short and I think what she did for competitions was slick her hair back and try to do like a french braid and pin it and then tuck the end in. and just make sure there are no flyaways.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

IIRC, somebody (Lioness?) started a thread about what to do with short hair at competitions. I'll see if I can find it. :-D
  3. pygmalion

4. Balletgirl14

Balletgirl14 New Member

Dance is not for competitions it is for expressing yourself not for showing what you got
  5. pygmalion

Hi Balletgirl14. Welcome. :-D

Strong opinion about competitions. That's good. :cool: I suspect that you may be from a different dance discipline than a lot of people here, who do see value in competition. Different dances. Different perspectives. That's cool. :cool:
  6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, but competitions are about competing and showing what you got :)
    and competitions are a major part in the ballroom culture.
  7. pygmalion

Yup.

And BOT. @JANATHOME. Exactly how long is your bob? Cheek length? Chin length? Neck length? Shoulder length? Symmetrical? Asymmetrical? That'll help people come up with viable suggestions.

*subliminal message* Gotta love them ballet bun holders. :wink: :lol:
  8. pygmalion

9. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

The length is pretty much like this attachment except with bangs! The layers on the top are a tad bit shorter also.

Attached Files:

10. pygmalion

Looks like you might need gel to slick it back. If you slick it to the nape of your neck, you may be able to get away without a bun. Although I like buns, because buns are groovy. *grin*
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you could treat it like long hair as far as how you style the front, and in the back, where you'd put your bun, you can put a nice "splay" rhinestone design over a teensy tucked-in ponytail.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

can you get it into a tiny bun in the back, Jan? Cause if you can from there you can attach a rolled weft and style that up the back.
  13. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Oooh. Good idea. Might use that for my next comp...
  14. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

We may be collegiate... but my girls know WAY better than to try to compete with loose hair... :p For me, its a big part of respecting the dance to keep your hair neat and under control.

We are a BIG fan of french braids into a bun. Simple and easy to do, but it also mimics the more complicated styles that pro-am couples can create. Plus french braids are a good life skill to have IMO. At the start of each comp season we have a "hair party" where we teach our newcomers to braid and practice putting it up in comp worthy manner. On actual comp days, about a third of us do our own hair and the rest pair up and do each others hair. Of course I'm always around with extra bobby pins and hair spray! :)
  15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Usually, during competition season, I try to get someone to do my hair. I have thick, unruly, curly hair, that doesn't like to behave. It's nice to have someone who knows how to deal with hair and that can actually see what they are doing working on my hair. However, in a pinch, I can manage to do a few braids into a bun with lots of gel and spray.
  16. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I use fake fair. :D
  17. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

I always have trouble getting my hair to do what it's told and with my first comp in exactly one week's time I am getting worried about hair, make-up EVERYTHING! It's only a newcomers' comp but I want to get things as right as possible so am not worrying.

I have slightly longer than shoulder-length, naturally very blonde, very heavy hair. I can't do loads of styles on my own hair - if I put it up, it's usually a ponytail or with massive, heavy-duty banana clips, or sometimes a bun. But the buns I do will not stay put for a comp. I also have a fringe (bangs, you say in the US?) The only time I have ever had an updo that has stayed up is for my wedding and then it needed a whole lot of backcombing, over 100 pins and a can of hairspray. I'm nervous enough as it is without worrying about my hair - anyone have any suggestions?
  18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Well, over 100 pins and a can of hairspray sounds about right :D

When I had long hair, I used to do a strange sort of twist thing:

[​IMG]

I secured it with some pretty pins that matched my dress.

Maybe try to get a hairdresser to show you how to secure it really well. I always put mine in really tightly, put extra pins in, then a lot of hairspray. It mostly stayed put, though occasionally I had to redo it halfway through the comp.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

other than 100 bobby pins and a an of mega hold hair spray?...no...no suggestions....that is what it takes...every time I have tried to skip on either, I end up with hair flapping around
  20. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

yap never skip the pins or hairsprays, a famous hairdresser told me to spray hair every 20 mins after my hair updo all done until my heat time to keep in neat shape; and Never be stingy on using pins, I've seen girls had hair fell out during comp, not pleasant feeling.

I like Lioness' picture, but I personally prefer it to be even higher, well more hairspray and pins;) yes wig is good, also need extra hairspray to secure;)