Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Question for those using hairspray liberally, how do you keep it off the jewelry in your hair?

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

you don't. either apply jewelry last or you wash it later.

3. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

Thanks. We tend to put jewelry on last. Invariably, there is some loose hairs I miss or mess up, and have to fix with some spray and bobby pins. Usually I just cover the jewelry with one hand, and spray the offending area. But spraying all the hair periodically throughout the day just sounded wild.

4. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

in my personal opinion, I don't like to have jewelry in my hair because of a fear of it flying off and losing it.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

spraying jewelry basically ruins it...because it it very hard to try to get the hairspray off of it without ruining it...I try to never spray after putting jewelry in...I do like to wear some though...so I usually also secure that with extra pins....generously

6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I used to always put any jewelry on last, although you still often have to use hairspray for some last minute fixes before getting on the floor. Hot water can help clean the hairspray a bit although its pretty tough to get it off fully from jewelry.. You do the best you can I guess, scratching the hairspray remainder from stones with your nails and hot water might be an option. Never really found anything that works better.

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I heard a tip this past weekend about cleaning spray off the jewelry with rubbing alcohol, but I haven't tried it yet.

8. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

That sounds like a possibility - hairspray is alcohol-based, isn't it? Not sure.

I think I have decided on a style for my hair - I have tried it today with reasonable success and a few straggly bits, but my mum will do it on the day and she is queen of mean when it comes to hair. Will be ten years old again, going 'Ow, ouch!' whilst she shoves pins into my scalp. :)

So what I've done is part my hair in the centre and do 2 French plaits, then I have wound the plaits round each other at the base of my skull to make a sort of low bun. Can't get a hair net round it unfortunately. What do people think? Am not allowed to wear anything sparkly so I have a couple of small, artificial flowers to add.

9. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, but I can hear my teacher's voice in my head right now..."looks good, but you need a hair net."

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm increasingly tempted to purchase and glitz up a Show Bow. Complete fashion suicide in the hunter ring (they prefer doofy 'hunter hair'), must on the Quarter Horse breed show...easy surface for gluing rhinestones?

11. mj121

mj121 New Member

hair/bun for competition

I was reading this thread because I'm always on the lookout for tips on competition hair (particularly on how to make a better bun), but I can tell you what I know. The first thing I would recommend is to ask your hairdresser for help next time you have a hair appointment since she or he knows your hair the best and can show you a few ways to put it up. But, since your competition is in a few days, you probably won't see him/her before then.

This is what I do and what I recommend for buns, and I think you should have a bun if at all possible.
    1) spray clean, dry hair throughout thoroughly but lightly with hairspray (or use another styling product), brushing between sprays to prevent tangles;
    2) roll it up in hot rollers;
    3) pull hair back into ponytail (a good idea here is to leave a layer of hair at the bottom of your head, or even along the sides/front, out of the ponytail to use later to wrap around the bun and cover gaps; in other words, you would make a ponytail in the center of the back of your head, leaving a narrow strip of hair from one ear to the other out of the ponytail (underneath the ponytail));
    4) now that your hair is wanting to curl up smoothly from being sprayed and hot-rolled, you can roll it up and shape it into a bun styled in a variety of ways;
    5) my hair is also very heavy, dense and thick, but I do use a "rat" which I made from yarn similar to my hair color wrapped up and sewn up in netting similar to my hair color - I wrap the ends of my hair around it and roll it up under and the rat fills the center of the bun, giving it stability; my rat is roughly round, and somewhere between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball; (note: I don't stick pins into the rat, but you could);
    6) pin the main part of the bun I just rolled up, jamming the ends of the pins (I use hairpins, not bobby pins, most people would say to use bobby pins) into the hair elastic that I used to make the ponytail so that they are anchored in the hair elastic and hold securely (my hairpins are light brown and have tiny rubbery tips);
    7) take chunks of the loose hair that you left out of the ponytail and wrap them one at at time around the base of the ponytail and pin - when you become more skilled, you can take these pieces and get creative, stretching/smoothing them across your hair in different ways and pinning them - I'm not good at this yet
    8) of course, spray all over when you are done
    Note: I don't use hairnets anymore because they don't look good, and I don't need them if I do my hair right.
    Other tips:
    i - make sure you can shake your head without feeling any jiggling from your bun; if it jiggles even a little, it will slowly loosen with each turn you do as you are dancing and after a few hours will come loose; if it is rock solid and doesn't move at all, you will be fine till you take it down
    ii - keep pins with you for emergencies
    iii - as you put a pin in your head, if it starts to hurt even a little or if you feel it digging into your head, take it out IMMEDIATELY and reposition it because in an hour after doing your hair, you will be digging into your bun trying to figure out which one it is - it will only hurt worse and worse as time passes until you can think of nothing else!
    iv - if you get a pin stuck halfway in and can't get it out (or in), just take another pin and thread it through the offending pin and use that to pull it out
    v - don't make the bun so tight you get a headache an hour after doing your hair - make it snug but if you feel it starting to pull the skin on your face, it's getting too tight
    vi - you said you have bangs - if they are short enough not to get in your eyes, just leave them - it will allow your hair to have a little movement and soften the harsh look created by the bun; if they are below your eyebrows, "sweep" them to the side and use a barette or pins to secure them and make sure they are going to stay put! You don't want them coming loose while you are dancing and getting in your eyes. You can also tease them before doing your bun and pin them back or use a barette (I like the flattest kind of barettes)
    vii - oh, probably the most important thing that I need to say is that when you have blond hair, you have much more of a challenge that someone with black/dark brown hair. Black or dark brown hair hides mistakes (i.e., any hair out of place; you want your hair to lay smoothly without bumps, gaps, strands going in their own directions, etc.). Blond hair shows every mistake. Also, dark hair looks good with that "wet"/slicked back look, but it doesn't work well for blond hair because when blond hair is wet or saturated with gel/hairspray, it makes the color grayish/dark and dull (think what the color of your hair looks like when you get out of the shower versus when it has dried).

Ok, I think I've said enough! If you have any questions about it, just ask.

ocean-daughter likes this.
  12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Awesome first post!!! Welcome mj121. :-D

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How do you get hairspray out of your hair, and is there any reason the same wouldn't work for jewelry?

14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

your hear isn't glued to your scalp...you can apply copious amounts of water and cream to your hair without it coming out...copious amounts of liquid to stoned jewelry, coupled with aggitation or scrubbing, will result in lost stones...from very expensive jewelry..but alcohol might be worth a try

15. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Thanks mj121 - lots of useful stuff there that I will try.

BTW - what is the difference between a bobby pin and a hair pin? :D We don't have anything called bobby pins in the UK. They are just generally called hair pins/grips and some people know them as kirbygrips. One version is open in a narrow V and both of the wire sides of the V are crinkled. The other is closed with only the top side of wire crinkled and they have rubbery tips on the end. I use these as they tend to stay put in my hair more, although the wire is a bit thicker and less flexible.

I have to be careful with either sort as they tend to be made from nickel, which I am allergic to. :(

16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

LMAO at mj121's assumption that everyone has a hairdresser just for general use.

17. Katarzyna

I feel that hairdresser might give some ideas, but I have not seen a hairdresser do something that looks like a ballroom updo unless you're going for a french twist. I would watch out with that...

I have some OLD experiments in album some are VERY old. I shared those before here long ago but I think there are many new people now. Its might inspire someone... Its always helpful to look at mistakes and to see what is it that makes an updo work and NOT.
    http://public.fotki.com/klh/ballroom_dancing/new_stuff/

NOte, most of the buns I always did were low buns so you won't see many examples of high buns there (successful or otherwise)

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Kat, I've actually looked through those and gotten a lot of great ideas from it. :)

19. Katarzyna

Some are pretty bad, but those probably help the most. I used to love playing with hair.

20. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

[​IMG]

Bobby Pins!

[​IMG]
    Hair Pins!

I use massive hair pins (mine are actually called bun pins from Bunhead) to secure my bun (or other style), smaller hairpins to make it look pretty/pin down the hair decoration swirly thing I make, and bobby pins to pin in my jewelry (painted with nail polish to match the decoration).

I never use a rat or sock to make my bun since on me it makes the bun stick out from my head and mess up my line and in general I find them to be less secure. But I also have a lot of hair, so it generally does what I tell it to do.