Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

Aaaaaaaah Silmarwen, thank you! :D

In that case, I use bobby pins to do my hair!
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I have never done a clean bun without a net. But I know some people are able to.
  3. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

You're welcome! :)

If I gel it or put it up wet, my bun will be clean without a net, but if it gets brushed (my partners are occasionally confused about my height...;)) a net is invaluable! It also lets me work faster in my own hair thus freeing up more time for practice or for helping my teammates.
  4. Katarzyna

yes, I always found putting the net over ponytail before making the bun, would usually allow me to make an intricate bun design in a minute or less before securing. I only went for a simple round bun when I was starting out, later on it got progressively more and more intricate. Never mastered the high bun art though.
  5. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I think my mind was just blown....
  6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I had never thought of painting bobby pins with nail polish to make them match! That's a great idea.
  7. Katarzyna

hahaha
    Clean ponytail always took longer than the actual bun.
    middy likes this.
  8. Silmarwen

Silmarwen Member

Thanks! The super cheap brand of nail polish work really well and usually have a VERY wide range of colors so I've always been able to get a very close match. I've also added glitter polish over the top of them to slightly increase sparkle! (granted I also used glitter polish to finish flowers and other headpieces I make)

THIS.

I can create intricate buns, unique braids, crazy twists, but a simple ponytail? goodness it takes me forever!!!
  9. mj121

mj121 New Member

hair

Thank you! :p
  10. mj121

mj121 New Member

hair

Except for people who never cut their hair and grow it really long, we all at least get our hair cut, even if we don't get it colored, so either you go to the same person all the time or you go to a different person every time - what's the big deal?
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

perhaps doi sees those exceptions as being a larger percentage of the population that you might...just a guess...and welcome to df

all that aside, I do think there is a major difference btwn one's regular stylist and a stylist who does primarily dancesport...I would not go to a regular stylist for any advice on how to do my hair for a comp...just as I wouldn't have just any seamstress make a comp gown...just m2c
  12. mj121

mj121 New Member

hair

Both my old hairdresser and my new hairdresser do wedding hair as a major part of their regular business, which is very similar. According to them, they also must make it rock solid so it holds up all day, so it's similar in that respect. The one I go to now used to be a dancer, so she does understand dancer hair pretty well. Secondly, even though neither one had a clue about ballroom hair, their suggestions were very helpful in terms of construction. I knew some, and was able to take their suggestions and put it together with what I knew. The most helpful tip was to spray and hot roll the hair. I never did this before, and often would put my hair up after washing it, while it was still damp. However, I wanted to take it to the next level and make it look really professional. Spraying and hot-rolling it did wonders because it makes my hair curl up so smoothly into a bun shape.

As far as going to someone who does hair at competitions, I have always been hesitant to do that because I have seen a few disasters and I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money and then have to tear it apart and redo it. Also, if I fall in love with how they do it, that person will most likely not be there at the next comp. I felt it was best to learn to do it myself and have a generally consistent look from one comp to another. However, I do believe it would be very useful to try it a few times because I'm sure I could learn something from them.
  13. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I agree that there is a huge difference between regular up-dos and wedding hair vs. dancesport. I would be very cautious about asking a wedding hairdresser for comp hair advice.

If one of the concerns is falling in love with a specific style and not being able to recreate it, I believe some of the stylists at comps offer learning sessions and workshops. Maybe you could inquire about that and get a group of friends together to split a workshop.
  14. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

THIS. x1000. Definitely.
  15. fascination

I hear you...

incidentally, my approach was to have my hair done by the comp sylists untill I had enough of a clue that I could do it myself...I will still occasionally have them do it for major comps...though there are a few who I will not go to...
  16. fascination

additionally, what I need for hair to hold up on a wedding day doesn't even remotely come close to what I need to dance...perhaps for varying levels it might, but, in my world everything has to be significantly more battened down than that...I have had comp hair that last 3 days...under very demanding circumstances :)
  17. Katarzyna

Totally agree with Fascination. Sleeping in a comp hairdo to have it done for next day (blackpool or any other very early event) is fairly normal in comp world. Unless you like getting up at 4am just to do your hair...
  18. Ladybird

Ladybird Member

wedding car2.jpg That being said, I could have definitely danced in my wedding up-do, and slept in it. My husband and I spent almost an hour deconstructing it on the night of our wedding, after which we decided to get some cocoa and go to sleep! :D

It's not the clearest picture but a rocket launcher wasn't going to destroy that baby!
  19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

True, though I would LOVE to have someone do my hair for a comp the way it was done for the Houston wedding I was in. (An updo involving herringbone/fishtail braids, and no, there will never be a day when I could even do one on another person, let alone a style involving them. I couldn't put in my own ponytail until my teens or do a basic braid until my twenties.) I do have a bad fuzzy close up of it somewhere but have never tried having it recreated. I wasn't even supposed to have my hair done for the rehersal or by that particular stylist for the wedding, but when they were doing my nails, I had my hair down and he asked to 'play' with it.

And I haven't been to a salon but maybe once in my adult life, not counting weddings. My hair's not what I consider really long (to my shoulder blades-not long enough for, say, a proper coiled-around-the-crown braid), but I don't need to pay money for someone to cut off a few inches when I need to (I just hack it off with scissors, it's not rocket science) or wash or color it. The only time I've thought about getting professional color was when I considered getting lighter highlights, and because my hair's dark it would need to be chemically stripped first. But then they'd grow out and I'd just have to have it done again. Just like I had a layerd cut once, but it grew out (obviously.) It's all very tedious and you can't do anything really pretty with short hair anyway.
  20. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've actually never had my hair cut, colored, or styled in a salon. My mother cut it for me and then I started trimming it on my own and I've been coloring it myself for years. I just make sure I have a day or two before anything important to fix any "surprises".

But back to the topic at hand, I rarely use a hair net but find starting from wet and adding gel to make a bun a lot easier. I do my own hair 90% of the time, it just requires some patience, practice, and allotting a lot of extra time in the morning.