Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

I agree that the net makes everything MUCH easier - I can do my own hair in 5-10 with a net, and I don't have to gel the length which is a godsend on blonde hair.
  2. bia

bia Active Member

While playing around with comp hair options recently I decided that I will eventually want to cover the grays. Since I've got more gray on top than underneath, a high bun still looks OK, but a low one not so good. So today I went to the drugstore and got a box of semipermanent color close to my natural shade, and gave it a try. I rushed it a bit because I was curious -- I'm going to have to leave it in longer to get full gray coverage -- but it's certainly something I can do. Good to know. Ballroom has taught me so much!
  3. bia

bia Active Member

And a question. Do y'all have opinions on french braid (tucked in) vs. bun? I'm capable of both and quite like the french braid on myself. But I don't generally see french braids at comps -- pretty much everyone's in a bun or bun variation. Is it just because it's easier/quicker? I'll probably stick with the bun for morning sessions for that reason, but if I have the time for either, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?
  4. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

As long as all strays and everything is neat, tight, and in order, I don't see why you should prefer one over the other. Maybe something you should experiment with, such as at competitions that have relatively the same judges, do the two different styles and see if you do significantly worse or better. Of course there are other factors coming into play, you might not be dancing as well one day as another or not practiced as much etc, but still if there is a significant difference, then maybe there is something to how judges react to which way the hair is styled.
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I was dying my sister's hair using one of those new fancy foam mousse colors and go to thinking about how easy it is to get the hair all piled nicely on the head when it's well coated in that stuff. I've tried to replicate the effect with hair mousse from a can, but never quite got the effect I wanted and had to use a ton of it.

So I decided to do some experimentation.

I saved the mousse pump that turns the liquid haircolor into a foam and after rinsing it out VERY well, I put in about a quarter size amount of conditioner, a couple tablespoons of gel, and then filled it the rest of the way with water and mixed it well. It made a kind of soupy foam (the "recipe" probably needs some refining) but I was able to get all of my hair well tamed into a completely flyaway free ponytail with the stuff. A little time with the blow dryer, more layers of the stuff overtop, and it's holding quite well slicked back in a ponytail. I used about half of the mixture I made up. It's not mirror finish shiny, more of a sheen, so it might need to have some hair spray for that effect, but it was way easier to apply than just straight gel, used a lot less of it, and didn't leave my hands a super sticky mess.

Just something I thought others might want to try out.
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Huh, interesting. And I didn't realize those color mousse foam things were refillable. I assumed they were one-shot deals, so I have avoided trying them. Often I can get 2-3 uses out of a box of haircolor by mixing up only as much as I need.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

One thing that occurs to me is that a bun, particularly a higher one, can seem to continue and seemingly elongate the line up the back of the neck. I don't know if you'd get the same effect with a French braid. Then again, I'm also thinking specifically of Standard, don't know what style you dance, and am certainly not a competitor. YMMV.

I do prefer how a French braid looks though, generally. A reverse one could provide some interest, and opportunities for "decorating" it.
  8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

smidra86 likes this.
  9. nikkitta

Thanks for sharing. So Got2B spiking glue is the secret to decorative swirly hair, and it really won't move after it's dry? Particularly in Standard, where your head is not held vertical, my fear is that these pieces will dislodge and flap around while dancing.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

That one, Tresemme Level 4 styling gel...the one problem I have with them is my hair tends to look a little dull (and when I spray over it, it seems to flake a bit.)

I am facing a hair quandary-need an updo that looks "Standard" and I can do myself, positioned to draw the eye up and create the illusion of a longer neckline. However, now I'm doing Rhythm that morning and I will NOT have time to change my hair. Is one of those high topknots just going to look odd in Rhythm?
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I like to stone the swoops personally and then it doesn't matter if it's shiny or not.
  12. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

What sort of glue do people use to attach rhinestones to hair/skin?
  13. danceronice

I've used eyelash glue to stick stones or hold down curls. It washes out nicely.
  14. nikkitta

What about a high braided pony for Rhythm, and then coil or roll and pin it into a bun for Standard. Doesn't take long, and spin pins are great for this.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Good to know. I've heard elemers glue as well, but that just seems like it would be hard to get out
  16. danceronice

I was wondering about that, though braids have a tendency to snag on the neckpiece of my Rhythm dress (it's integral to the dress and can't be removed.) And my hair's not actually long enough in a braid to pin it down, not that the dress has shoulders to pin it to! Then there's the 'weaponized' aspect of a braid-nearly took out NP's eyes the first time I danced with a ponytail braid because he wasn't used to dodging it!
  17. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Elmer's isn't any worse than eyelash glue.
  18. nikkitta

Is it long enough to secure to your head, like down toward your neck? If I wear a braid for Latin/Rhythm, I always attach or pin it to my costume or necklace, depending on what I am wearing, so it doesn't whip around and whack an unsuspecting eyeball.
  19. danceronice

Long enough, but the only place to attach it would be the choker necklace that's attached to the front of the dress (the dress is backless and off the shoulders--had to add a strap after the 100th time someone asked what was holding it up.) My hair's also heavy enough to rip itself loose! Why I don't wear it down very often....though I wish I could grow it longer, it only reaches the bottom of my shoulder blades when it's loose.
  20. nikkitta

to borrow a phrase, "TTIUWP" (of said dress)

Can you add a thin unobtrusive choker to which you could secure the end of the short braid? Can you barrette it down near the hairline above your neck?