Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Might be a silly question, but how exactly is this pinned to the costume? I would like to do it, but I just can't picture how it's done.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

For people with really long hair, you pin whatever's holding the braid at the end (elastic, ribbon, whatever) to your costume. Some people flip it around to the front, or pin it to the back (I don't like that look.) Assuming your costume has shoulders or something near the neck/shoulders that you can pin to. My Rhythm dress is a strapless sweetheart neckline--there's an attached collar but I'd just end up yanking my hair free as I don't like it when it gets snagged on there by accident.

I think I'm just going to put my hair in the topknot for Standard and just put in the sparkly thing, rather than hope I've got time to totally redo it. I don't like the tied-down braid since I don't think my hair's really long enough, and it would look silly if I started the braid pony as high as the standard bun needs to be. (I can't do French braids or anything more complicated than a bun or single braid. I did try a curled ponytail once, which looked good for ten minutes or so before it died. My hair doesn't hold a curl without salon-level help. Even then it usually can't hold it.)

3. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I just pin my hair to my dress- it doesn't matter which part as long as you can turn your head comfortably and it actually stays. Although if I'm in a pissy mood I'll conveniently forget to pin it and whack my partner in the face. Hahahaha, just kidding.

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Here's my thinking, since you said you have thick hair. Make two ponytails - one at the crown, and one low at the nape of the neck. Make a braid at the crown (where you want your standard "bun" to be), and make another braid in the lower pony tail. Kind of a double-decker braid. Secure the top braid at the top of the bottom braid. Bottom braid end is still free to move, but unless your partner is shorter than you, you shouldn't take his eye out with it.
    Not exactly what I mean, but close:
    [​IMG]

After your first events are done, detach the top braid from the bottom elastic. Take the bottom braid and coil it around the top elastic, and continue wrapping with the top braid. Pin into a bun shape. Ta dah. Theoretically.

5. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Do you mean with a safety pin? Or.....

6. nikkitta

Yup, big safety pin. Or sometimes something more decorative for comps.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

this is how I do it.

Attached Files:

8. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

that helps a lot! thanks Larinda!

9. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

That is a help to see it Larinda, thank you. However, what if the hair is not that long and it just needs to fall straight down the back when there is only the collar around your neck to attached it to? Wouldn't it somehow hinder the head moving front to back?

10. nikkitta

Something elastic (like, well, an elastic :p) connecting the braid to the collar should allow enough movement of the head. A "tether" of sorts. When I have done this, I've used clear elastic so it's nearly invisible.

little_mouse likes this.
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Alrighty, I have two questions.

1) I'm thinking about dying my hair for the first time and I'm thinking about going blonde. Now I know going super blonde takes a lot of time and money to keep up and I heard recently that it's starting to go out of style. I recently bought a red dress so I was thinking maybe going for either a honey blonde or a strawberry blonde. Would that work?

2) I am short and the height difference between my partner and I is pretty big. What ways would be good for my hair to add height without looking like something to grab or a teapot handle?

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, you definately want to have it piled high atop your head....as to whether you do honey or strawberry; I think alot of that has to do with your skin tone and the shade of red of your dress....if you have cool undertones to your skin and the dress is a cool red, I would go with honey blonde ....if you have a more orange/red dress and/or you have very pale skin, then I would go strawberry

13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

[quote="stash, post: 967107, member: 56358" and I heard recently that it's starting to go out of style. [/quote]

:eek:o_O

15. fascination

with olive skin I would definately reccommend the honey blonde....I think strawberry really fights with olive skin...I cannot do the strawberry hair unless I have a very deep natural tan becuase my skin has strong olive undertones....

16. fascination

:eek:o_O[/quote]I've heard it too...outside of ballroom...but I can't imagine it happening in ballroom...it's not my thing...but I cn't imagine it going away in ballroom

dancelvr likes this.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I refuse to believe it :p I feel like super blonde is just one of those colors that is classic. I mean, Marilyn Monroe was a platinum blonde and that was 50ish years ago.

That being said, I don't think super blonde would work on you. I think a honey blonde or maybe even a light-medium ash blonde would look better on you. Are you planning to go to a salon or DIY?

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I'm not a super fan of ash blonde... It looks too grey to me. I'm figuring DIY is cheaper but then again I don't want it to be crap.

The only reason why I heard it was going out of style for the time being is that everyone's hair needs a break from the constant bleaching. Which makes some sense.

19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Oh I see. That does make sense. DIY isn't too hard, especially if you are staying close to your natural color, just make sure you get a good brand that won't fry your hair.

20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Any brand suggestions?