Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Garnier is a good one, so is the L'Oreal Sublime Mousse, and it's really easy to use.

2. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I've read through this entire thread like twice and didn't see it, but I just started practicing hairstyles that hold. I just did a ponytail with a big bump in the front.

I HIGHLY recommend Got2B Glued. I barely used any and the bump in my hair is almost completely solid right now.

And I shall also recommend these new elastics I got by Scuni, called No-slip Grip Evolution. They're these jelly ponytail ties, and I took one out and put my hair in a ponytail and tried to pull it out. Didn't move at all. I actually had to unwind it from around my hair to get it out. I got them from Duane Reade, but don't know how available they are other places.

amazon dot com /Scunci-No-slip-Evolution-Ponytailers-14-Count/dp/B003DKU3CY

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bought some of those at CVS a while ago, and they were a beeyotch to get out, so I don't consider them "gentle to the hair" as claimed. I thought they would work better than these:

amazon dot com /Scunci-No-Slip-Elastics-20-count-58333-A/dp/B004R7QQ1Y

which are kinder to my hair but the no-slip part tends to crack and disintegrate too quickly for my satisfaction. Plus you need to somehow make sure the no-slip side is against the hair.

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

the jelly ponies tore up my hair so terribly I dropped them off at the studio for other more desperate girls to scavenge.

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I tried the sublime moose in medium blonde and it barely did anything :p I have a box in my bathroom of light blonde from garnie so I'll try that tomorrow. My fingers are crossed

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

What's your natural hair color? I missed it if you mentioned. I have brunette hair and a hairdresser flat-out said to even put in champagne highlights, let alone go all-over blonde or light brown, it would be probably multiple visits, and he'd have to bleach out my natural hair first. Home treatments won't take fairly dark hair blonde, they're not strong enough. I can't even really go much lighter brown at home-it'll cover grays, but that's it. (As I usually go darker, that's not a problem for me.)

7. mindputtee

Actually, I have to disagree. My natural color is around Stash's (dark blonde/light brown) and I'm super blonde from at home treatments. There are definitely at home treatments that will get you to light-medium blonde in one step, it's just a matter of finding the one that's going to work best on your hair. The garnier tends to be a little better at effecting a change, the sublime mousse is a little more subtle and easy to apply, which can be good when you're starting out. Little change is better than a disaster on your hands from too much change.

8. mindputtee

I prefer the clear elastics, they hold just as well but you can cut them out (or have a friend help you cut them out... that might be a better idea) when done and not rip your hair.

9. Larinda McRaven

the tiny tiny clear elastics? those stretch out almost immediately, so I end up using several just to hold my hair together. And the slide out eventually. My hair is super baby fine, and I have a super lot of it. I need something industrial strength in it hold, yet still gentle enough not to shred it.
    I am just going to stick with these.
    [​IMG]

10. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I used the hair dye that I had in my bathroom that was the lighter shade and it came out amazing. It didn't come out as light as on the box, but I am really happy about that. It's on the lighter side of medium blonde but looks awesome :D super happy with the result.

I trust my partner enough to do his own hair--and it comes out well all the time. My own hair is the one I worry about, thick and curly and wild. It does not like to listen to what I want it to do. I usually like it when I can get someone else to do my hair like one of my club members, but I'm slowly learning how to style it myself.

11. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Yeah, I also hate the tiny clear elastics. I have one box of them I bought when I was first starting and they never effectively held my hair and somehow managed to rip at my hair at the same time.

12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I use these as well.

My hair is super thick and super curly so anything tacky like the clear elastics tend to rip my hair out.

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Joining in on this thread because I need hair advice also. I am about to change my hairstyle to a short bob with bangs. The length of the bob will be lower than chin but above neckline. I dance latin, and I believe I have seen pro latin dancers with short bobs and bangs just leaving their hair as is... no jewelry, no pulling it back, but actually leaving it, leaving the bangs as well and letting the hair move. I am hoping to do that in comps. Opinions?

14. Larinda McRaven

That only really works with super short bobs, like no longer than top of jawline. I think the length you are talking about will look great on you but for dancing I would be a bit concerned.

15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Evgenia Shatilova has her hair similar to that now.. very pretty

16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think I will get it cut at the jawline then. I like that style in general, and if it means that it will transfer over to competitions and I can save on hair appointment, even the better! I will try to find some pictures of different dancers who wear their hair like that and bring it in to the stylist. From what I have seen, the idea with that hairstyle, is that if it is short enough, it is actually okay for it to "move" while dancing.

17. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I started using those too, but I feel like these break a good amount sometimes right where they are glued. I used to use these ones that werent connected anywhere. They looked like a pair of tights just cut up into rings but they were strong and didn't stretch out so easily. I have been able to find the anywhere anymore. They looked something like this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_THIqU_TTsHo/R8TgcCijk7I/AAAAAAAAANc/YU0YETuE5sc/s400/scunci.jpg

18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

deb...I agree w/Larinda...go posh spice or it will be a hot mess...bob it short...and condition the daylights out of it so that it moves...but, short

debmc likes this.
  19. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I love these too, the best I've used, really hold hair together nicely; will keep buying these. Goody is a good brand, as they sell all black colors in one pack, so I don't have to get assorted colors, I only use black or dark brown colors.

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree. I am thinking of the short bobs that Katie Holmes and Nicole Ritchie used to wear... cute styles, but I will be sure to see how the hairstyles end up looking after a two session dance class!