Competition Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by smidra86, Apr 4, 2012.

1. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

*bump!*

Sorry about this. I know I kind of already asked, but I really need to know does anyone have any idea how to do this hairstyle? (only with a bump at the crown) I want to start practicing hairstyles for dancing and have no idea how to even START this style, except that hair is ironed straight (which I guess goes for every dance hairstyle)...

[​IMG]

And I also have to ask if anyone has clues as to this one, because even though I don't think I have a face for totally pulled-back hair, I think this is just BEAUTIFUL...

[​IMG]

Any how-to's or hints, anyone? Pleeeeeeaaaase? :)
  2. bia

bia Active Member

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

5 rounds down, hair is still in place. Some bobby pins have slipped, but the hair to which they were attached hasn't moved. Thumbs up to Meijer store's generic version of Got2bGlued!
    theAnnelis likes this.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I have a question, has anyone used the Goody Spin Pins in their hair? I want to know if they work well before I get them. I go through so many bobby-pins because I have thick curly hair that doesn't wanna do anything I want it to do. I was wondering if these work better and hold more hair with less pins!

Thanks
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I've used them to hold a bun in place, but haven't put it to the test at a comp yet. Feels pretty darn secure to me.
  6. mari79

mari79 New Member

Yes, I have used those spin pins before & they hold really well (and I have tons of long hair!). I'm not a competitive dancer, so I can't speak for holding up during a comp, but it held up nicely for a showcase :)
  7. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

I use them for practices every day and they are absolutely the best! I have waist-length hair and each time I dance I need to have a proper bun to prevent my hair from disassembling and/or flying in my face, esp. for tango. I only need 5 of those pins to make a good tight bun (2 longer ones for top and bottom and 3 shorter ones) in 2 minutes without any hair product. I used them once for a competition with no problems, but I also used gel, hair net and a few bobby pins for extra security "just in case".
  8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input! I ordered some on monday but because of Sandy they just shipped. Hopefully they will be here by the arrival date of Thursday just in time for DCDI
  9. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I've heard it too...outside of ballroom...but I can't imagine it happening in ballroom...it's not my thing...but I cn't imagine it going away in ballroom[/quote]

Whew!! I was worried for a minute. (I went white blond a few months ago.)
  10. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Having done the deed, and gone from med/dark brown to white blond, I can say that if you have light /med blond hair, over the counter might work. Otherwise, you need to get professional product to achieve a very light blond. I'm doing my own now, and I love it. And, I can maintain my hair for 6 months for less than the cost of one visit to my colorist. :)
  11. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I achieved a med blonde with the box set and I like it a lot :D Though I don't know if I'll stay blonde. It's not the color I've always dreamed of being but it looks good and most importantly doesn't clash with my dress :p
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The question is, what's your start color? I couldn't even get a lighter brown with a home-color thing now, let alone blonde. If you have at most middy-brown/dishwater blonde, going lighter might not be too bad, but with naturally DARK hair, going lighter can be a pain. (And once you start coloring it dark, forget it, though watching my videos it really does look better black, so I'll be touching up for Ohio again.)
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I had gold brown/very dirty blonde hair. I went with the extra light blonde from garnier and it turned out to be more of a medium blonde, which I wanted. It looks good, it looks natural (well except that my eyebrows now don't match my hair but it's not super noticeable).

The picture is of my natural hair color
    w w w.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=436822552399&set=a.423057537399.200022.507247399&type=1&theater
  14. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Just did a dry run of hair for this weekend. On suggestion from one of our coaches, used pomade+hairspray instead of just hairspray. OMG. Life problems solved!
  15. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

any suggestions for what is the best way to style short hair (pixie cut) for standard? I have tried to gel, it was nice and shiny but too flat and did not look good for my face to have it on the side or just slick back. Then I have tried to blow dry and then use hot blow dryer with freezing hairspay and rollers in front, the shape was good, but shiny at all, it looked even too fuzzy. Bun out of question with pixie cut. I had long hair in the past, but they are very fine a thin, so long hair looked almost bold in front.
  16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

What I've been doing with my short hair is just sort of pinning it all up at the back with bobby pins, and then doing something nice at the front with my fringe.

[​IMG]

There is liberal amounts of hairspray, and a fair bit of gel at the back to keep it all neat in the pins. I sort of drew it into a tiny ponytail, and gradually pinned bits up.
  17. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Perhaps some kind of finger waves?

[​IMG]
  18. ginzbutt

ginzbutt New Member

*bump*

I didn't want to start a new thread, since this is a hair question, but I'm a silver level collegiate dancer and my hair is rather bland. I usually just put it up in a bun and leave it there with lots of hairspray.
    I want to start using hair glue to make those cool swirly things at the top/sides of my head.
    Does anyone have any advice on how to do these things? (Best products, technique, etc.)
  19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I use got 2b glued spiking glue. I have found it's easiest if I only put the glue in the part I'm working with at the moment, get it in the shape I want, use a wide pin to keep out there without squishing it flat, and then move on to the next little segment of the hair. This stuff will make it stay really well, but it quickly gets sticky and difficult to manage so you have to work quick. I take most of the pins out before I go on the floor and it stays just fine, I even sleep on it overnight and it's still good the next day.
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I simply swirl my hair then put a bobby pin in here and there to anchor it then spray it...I used to use the glue but it created more mess than it was worth