Competition Manager Software?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Indiana_Jay, Nov 12, 2007.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

just can't believe how much technology has improved with judges being able to use PDAs nowadays. When I was helping out in collegiate comps, we always had to enter the recalls by hand into computer. It's actually a fun job doing it and I still think that is - maybe this is why I use a 6-ring planner rather than a palm myself ;)

2. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Just to be clear, while the judges at our chapter's comp will not be using PDAs, we will not be scrutineering by hand. Rather, our scruntineer will be punching the judges' scores either into COMPMNGR or the manual scrutineering screen of O2CM. Having completed my research, I've recommended to our organizer that we use O2CM and that we provide networked PCs to the registrar, scrutineer and MC and a wirelessly networked PDA to the on-deck captain (I already have a PDA I can loan for the purpose).

With regard to the previous cautions about an inexperienced registrar attempting to do a comp, I've recommended to our organizer that if I'm to be registrar, we should a.) send me to another USA Dance comp. to "shadow" that comp's registrar and b.) invite an experienced registrar to volunteer to mentor me on competition day (perhaps in exchange for complimentary competition registration).

By the way, our comp. has been officially announced, although details won't be available until next month: www.fwdancesport.org. Be warned, our Web server has been sporadic today. The hosting service is working to solve the problem.

-IJ

3. Indiana_Jay

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me! ;)

-IJ

4. Indiana_Jay

I wouldn't consider accepting the registrar position for our chapter comp if such workload reducing tools weren't available.
    From what I've learned, I have to agree.

Perhaps college comps (like the ones at which StandardGirl volunteered) don't require certified scrutineers, but our chapter comp will be hiring one. Which, by the way, means that person will probably get the last word regarding what software we'll use.

-IJ

5. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I believe that we had to have certified scrutineers, but there is only one of those, so we had lots of volunteers entering judges' marks into the computer. ;) You get a sneak peak at the results for doing such a thing~