Competitive ballroom is demanding; cardiac events and the need to address them at comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Akita, Apr 1, 2014.

1. DL

DL Well-Known Member

It is important, in that case, not to speak of them in the way one would speak of cold-hearted jerk faces.

Also, this discussion hasn't in fact even been about comp organizer *actions*. It's not as though we're talking about distribution of heart-damaging weight loss supplements, or insistence on using a dangerously slippery floor coating that makes the ballroom more photogenic, or anything like that.

Rather, we're talking about some set of things (on which even we don't all agree) that we suppose comp organizers should do but don't. Then the case is made, "they don't do <things>, therefore they don't care about competitor health." That's a dehumanizing, unnecessary, and logically incorrect inference.

I stand by my assertion that it is more useful anyway to talk about "comps that do or don't have AEDs" rather than to talk about "comps that do or don't value competitor health".
  2. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Agreed with your point wholeheartedly-- you obviously make a point that everyone would agree upon, anyway, otherwise it would seem that those with dissenting opinions are lacking a moral compass-- but just to play devil's advocate.... this is a ballroom dance forum. It's not a focus group, it's not an advisory board. Those groups may grow out of this forum, but the forum, in part, is a place where we are allowed to air grievances. Again, just playing devil's advocate :rolleyes: and besides, sometimes strong rhetoric is precisely what brings people to action.

(and as you'll see from my previous post, I am personally more for the action than I am for the whining, anyway :))
    stash and fascination like this.
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

People often collectively lose their moral compasses, where individually they would not, when care is not taken in expression of collective sentiment.

As for airing grievances: I hope you're right that none of us actually has the grievance that comp organizers don't value competitors' health. I think we can all agree that at least some of us have (for example) the grievance that there aren't always easily-accessible AEDs at comps.
  4. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I asked at every comp hotel I've checked into and they all said they have AED. This is a small number, however, as I only do 3-4 comps a year.
  5. sbrnsmith

No, because she was in her hotel room, not on the comp floor. No one knows her name or identity.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you read the entire thread, you will note that, in at least two instances, access to the aed was either unknown, unaccessible, or unacceptably far away....
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am judging a comp right now, neither the hotel where the officials are housed, nor where the event /competitors are hosted has an aed.
  8. sbrnsmith

Like I said, it's only the few comp hotels I've been to which have had an AED.
    I do understand the large hotels, having an AED situated far away from ballroom, and I'm not arguing against having one at all comps.
    Neither did I say, a stethoscope or bp cuff would treat anyone, rather, it would have been immensely helpful to me or any other physician in that situation.
  9. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Perhaps one requirement would be that competitions have an AED and a first aid kit IN THE BALLROOM - the sanctioning organization could require it, and the comp owners could include it in their rider with the hotel.

I was informed that the Manhattan Dancesport Championships has had this in their hotel contracts for many years. Kudos!!
    Larinda McRaven and 5678dance like this.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

My .02 cents worth. I think competitions should have a first aid kit and an AED available, as well as have someone in the ballroom who has had first aid and CPR training. That way, some assistance could be provided while emergency services (911) was called.

I'd be willing to pay an additional surcharge to make this happen. And you can be sure I'll be asking questions for any future event I might be attending.
    stash, sbrnsmith and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. Larinda McRaven

That was our proposal for the NDCA, that aeds be in the ballroom and/or that there should always be some ballroom official that is CPR certified.
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    singndance, stash, SwayWithMe and 4 others like this.
  12. Bailamosdance

Together as a group, we can perhaps make this a reality.
    s2k likes this.
  13. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I saw the regional person at an event again yesterday and the FADS New England/Fairfield County regions are buying an AED to have in the ballroom at all of their comps. Very, very pleased and a step towards what we all hope will become the industry standard. I only saw her for a moment so we didn't get to talk about any of the details.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when that happens and you know it for sure...I would love to post a specific thank you to them.....I would love to start a thread that continues to do that
    5678dance and Bailamosdance like this.
  15. s2k

s2k Active Member

You know, after reading this thread, I'm reminded why every school in my county has a AED: one of our baseball players received a line drive to the chest. He fell, rolled to his hands and knees, attempted to stand, and died on the mound.

It was later determined that had an AED been available, in his case, he would have had a much better chance at surviving. His parents created a foundation that raises money for AEDs in schools, and for AEDs to be at sporting events. And that's how my county and its school ballfields have AEDs on site.

I've decided that I'm going to ask the competition hotels where their AED is when I check in. I can't control what others do, but I have control over what I can do. Heck, maybe I'll even ask a week in advance, and email that info to the organizer before comp setup even starts. Why not?
    5678dance likes this.
  16. Bailamosdance

If this was part of the exhaustive 61 page rules for competitions that USA dance follows here in America, we would not be having this discussion.

The length of a skirt is not as important a rule as the safety of a competitor...
  17. Larinda McRaven

One competition organizer took it upon themselves to purchase an AED for emergencies at their competition. Congratulations and Thank You to Igor and Irina Suvorov of the Desert Classic!
    dancelvr, Sania, SDsalsaguy and 12 others like this.
  18. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I am happy to report that the combined FADS New England and Fairfield County Regions now own an AED and it will be at all of their comps. They even showed it to me :). (I didn't ask, they were very pleased to have it.) Once more, congratulations dance-forums! I brought it up to the director of the Fairfield County Region because of this thread (and gave her the information from here about why relying on the hotels' equipment was not adequate) and they were very happy to act on it.
  19. sbrnsmith

This is really good to hear....thanks for the update