Competitive ballroom is demanding; cardiac events and the need to address them at comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Akita, Apr 1, 2014.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I am sure they had one...they have to....but I couldn't find it....and I knew 911 had been called so I didn't want to travel the significant distance to the front desk in case the person doing cpr got tired

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Not required sure, but they provide water and tables, why not simply put an aed nearby? It Is. A matter of life and death...

3. fascination

and yes, they are pretty easy to use, but still shouldn't be used by people with no training...for reasons including that person not actually paying attention and staying clear when you press the button...and in terms of it instructing the person to give cpr are various intervals, etc....

4. fascination

I would imagine it comes down to who is going to buy it? ...who should buy it?...where one purchases it from ? whether or not the hotel felt that was worth the it to them instead of telling the comp that they would have to provide that on their own....as you don't want something to go wrong in the rest of the hotel and have their staff not able to find the pre-existing ones...but yes, it should be either notabye included or not, in a contract

5. Bailamosdance

All I know is I would hate to be one of the 'executives' who voted against having medical pros or at least an aed in the ballroom... Although maybe they can sleep well, but I sure couldn't....

6. fascination

who is to say that there was a vote?...probably didn't even come up....here's the thing; if the organizer knows where the aed is in the hotel and has one certified person on their staff, it is probably just fine to get that staff member to drop and start cpr while someone else runs for the aed...but someone should know where it is

stash likes this.
  7. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I wonder if an AED is the sort of thing USA Dance can purchase and just ship around the country to the various competitions. I know you can also rent AED's for events, but that's usually a few hundred dollars plus shipping.

llamasarefuzzy and Bailamosdance like this.
  8. fascination

the thing about buying one vs renting it is that rental places are on the hook for the maintainence of the aed....I would think that most organnizers would prefer to pay the 200 bucks than to be on the hook for making sure the aed is shipped to them by the previous user and to have to deal with the liability of whether the thing had been recently serviced

9. Bailamosdance

Make the organizers responsible for it. Part of their agreement should be to provide a safe environment for the dancers. This could be a one time expense

10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

As far as who should use an AED should one be available- all they have to do is make an announcement to see if there is a physician in the ballroom. Doctors do take dance and there is high likelihood that someone with a medical background will step up. Failing that, in theory at least, an AED can be used by lay person, however I think it is highly improbable that a lay person in an actual life and death emergency would use it simply out of fear of not using it correctly. I think the old 'is there a doctor here' works pretty well actually. I myself have been in situations where that announcement was made and stepped forward....never in a ballroom yet, but in the mall, on a plane etc.

llamasarefuzzy and debmc like this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I would have to add...the announcement should be 'is there a health care professional in the house?'. There are a lot of specialities that are used to intervening in medical emergencies: acute care nurse practitioners and P.A.s, nurse anesthetists, ICU and ER nurses, paramedics etc.

12. fascination

I would add...leaving it up to chance that there is someone available ISN'T responsible

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
    stash likes this.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I can't speak for all Universities, but at mine, all of the sports clubs, including us, had to have at least 3 safety officers (i.e. people who were trained in prof. rescuer CPR and first aid) on the team. 2 of these officers have to be at every sports club function (practices, socials, and competitions). I think this is a great idea, even though it's a pain the the butt to go through (yay 5-7hr training sessions) and when they limit the number per year we can certify :/

It wouldn't be a bad idea for every studio to have at least one CPR certified person, whether or not they go to competitions. Things can happen anytime or anywhere...

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure where people are getting the notion you need special training on AEDs. You do not. The entire point is they are automated and will not go off unless they HAVE to. You need to be able to follow written or spoken directions, that's it.

But the thing is if they're going to spend money on first aid being on standby it would make more sense to cover the cost of having a professional first responder on hand. AEDs are diagnostic mostly and useful only in a very specific situation (fibrilation-if someone is flatlining or a rupture/aneurysm, they won't fire because a defibrilator does nothing in that situation). And honestly, I've seen one heart attack at the more than twenty comps I've done-I would guess strains, sprains and breaks are more common. It would make more sense to have a qualified person or persons there on call who could treat a variety of injuries or illnesses.

wooh and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  15. fascination

while it is not difficult to use an aed...you will fair far better having done rehearsals of having placed the leads in the right place...and in making sure everyone is clear before you use it, etc., than when one is in a panicked situation....it isn't costly AT ALL for an organizer to get themselves or one member of their staff cpr certified so that when the machine says "resume cpr" someone who knows how is actually there to do it

16. fascination

as to cuts and sprains; a fair point, but no one is likely to die of those...while these heart attacks are less frequent, I don't want be one of the @four over the next two years...and particularly not if folks don't begin to be better prepared for it....

17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Heck, at Gumbo (the other incident Akita was referring to), my then-partner (a recently graduated PTA) had to correct the MD's placement of the leads.

That said, it's sort of an odd case. While I agree that it would be good to have qualified medical personnel there specifically for emergencies, the demographics of competitive ballroom are such than at a competition of any size, you're pretty much guaranteed to have medical personnel among the competitors.

18. fascination

sure....I am not advocating for medical personnel on staff....cpr certification is a@ 4 hour training for between 50 and 150 bucks...renewable every two years...it would be nothing to have one member of the staff current

19. fascination

and yes, it is likely that someone will be there...but I don't think it's wise to roll the die on a matter of life and death...when it is so cheap and easy to narrow the risk

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I was at nationals but didn't go down Sunday pm. So sad to hear this.