Competitive ballroom is demanding; cardiac events and the need to address them at comps

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Akita, Apr 1, 2014.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree. The thing is, although I fully support lay persons being trained in CPR and AED use...experience in real life situations helps tremendously. It is one thing to say 'I am trained in CPR and AED use', but quite another thing to be calm and confident during an actual resuscitation. That comes from experience.
  2. Akita

Akita Active Member

If NDCA and USA Dance sit on the fence, I might just buy a personal AED and take it to my comps. At least I will know one is available.

amazon.com/Philips-HeartStart-Home-Defibrillator-AED/dp/B00064CED6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396461439&sr=8-1&keywords=aed
    ACtenDance likes this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I did. I take it with me. But because it is MINE, I do not leave it unattended in the ballroom. I make sure that organizers know that I will have it with me when I am working in the ballroom. And if anything were to happen I would gladly turn the button over to a trained professional... but at least there would be an AED on the floor within 30 seconds.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    atk, SDsalsaguy, fascination and 4 others like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

interesting... I wonder if it varies state to state or the guy was just wrong...I will check, as this is important to me...that is why I asked....at any rate, I feel the same way about liability issues....it takes a special kind of sick to sue someone who is trying to save you...I would still always err that way
  5. fascination

that's awesome...a bunch of folks are now going to want to know your comp schedule :) or to rent from you
    stash likes this.
  6. fascination

how often does it reccomend new batteries and are they easy to replace?
  7. Larinda McRaven

It is tested monthly, to be compliant.

The batteries are supposed to last around 5 years... but you are required to test it monthly just to be sure. The pads last about the same length of time, but once used they must be replaced.
  8. fascination

are they the type of batter that is standard for replacement or some spcialized type you have to purchase throughmedical supply....just curious because I am totally in favor of getting one myself...hey, I have family members who are high risk
  9. pruthe

pruthe Member

This thread got me thinking more about heart issues and their causes. I found a place that gives a pretty good explanation about Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) vs Heart Attack (see link below).

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/scda/

The AED device apparently can make a big difference in the case of SCA.

I wish comp organizers would provide emergency procedure info and contacts, including AED access procedures. I also think the NDCA should also provide some guidance on this. Not sure how to make anything happen.

pruthe
  10. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Simple solution: every competition sanctioned by the org that we are a member of, must provide this. Or, they are not sanctioned. Bigger issue: no medical presence. Also, needs to be a stipulation.
  11. fascination

perhaps ask some of the people in charge who spend half THEIR time in the ballroom, whether or not they are sure that THEY won't have a heart attack while in the ballroom......
  12. Larinda McRaven

Usually it is a city wide ordinance that determines whether or not a hotel or convention center will supply one. Perhaps the fireman you asked is in a municipality where there is such an ordinance. And so for that city, he was right, hotels are required to have one.
  13. fascination

perhaps every student who cares asks/requests before sending in their entries....every little bit of pressure helps to roll the boulder over the hill
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  14. fascination

probably....
  15. Larinda McRaven

The NDCA motion that we, the PDF, put forward was "Each organizer is required to have an AED on deck... OR a person in the ballroom at all times that is CPR and AED certified.... OR Each organizer must have an emergency personel on staff." Or something to that effect. I forget because it was over a year ago. But basically we made the motion to have several components that could be accepted or changed. And we were perfectly willing to negotiate the terms.

When I presented the motion I did almost did not even receive a "second", as required by RRO. I presented the facts, the room argued. We then realized that the motion would die with the PDF being the sole organization to vote in its favor. So we tabled the motion indefinitely, which was the only option to take, otherwise it would have been defeated and we would not have been able to reopen the motion again ever, at a later date.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  16. Larinda McRaven

Right, an EAD will not help, or even discharge, in the case of a "Heart Httack". It is only valuable in the case of a Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
  17. fascination

right...but most of us can't differentiate, while the machine .....
  18. Larinda McRaven

The machine knows.
    The machine will deliver a shock ONLY if it is Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
    The machine will NOT deliver a shock if it is a Heart Attack or in any case if it detects a pulse.
    danceronice likes this.
  19. Larinda McRaven

The batteries and pads are specific to that machine and would be replaced through the vendor.
  20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

A petition might not force a change to happen, but the point is to bring more attention to the issue. It could give organizations like USAD a kick in the pants, as well as making competitors aware of the problem... I'm sure a lot of competitors would be shocked to know that these regulations aren't already in place.

An online survey with http://www.change.org/petition couldn't hurt, IMO.
    Bailamosdance and fascination like this.