Competitive Costumes for Country

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by AnnieMarie, Jul 13, 2004.

1. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Jenn,
    Anything would be great. I'm just looking for a basis for some ideas. The competitve wear is much closer to ballroom...as you found out. And they are really beautiful to look at.

I'm hoping at some point I might make one of the competitions in Florida.

Thanks for your help.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You've got it. I have to go through my favorites menu at home, but I'll post at least a few links this evening and tomorrow. From the UCWDC pictures versus what I've seen in ballroom Latin, it looks like the C&W costumes are on the conservative side -- a lot less skin showing. Some of the ballroom costumes are like bikinis with a lot of extra sparkle. :shock: The C&W ones are more on the dress end of the spectrum. But there are sites out there where you can find both.

3. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Jenn,
    The rules were changed this year but the UCWDC is still a fairly conservative organization. No bare midriffs...at any time. Not even if our skirts fly. There can't be skin between our " dance pants and the costume.

Obviously...lots of body suit construction with a lot of these costumes.

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Some of the Swing and Hustle competitions attached to the UCWDC allow for more "eye candy-type" clothing . . . mini-skirts, tight spandex dance pants, bare mids, halter and bikini tops, skirts slit way up to . . . :shock:, and so on.

There are lots of under 18-year-olds that attend/compete, and I commend the UCWDC for their upstanding rules in most of the dance arenas.

In one of the pics that I just posted, number 012 shows a Two-Step skirt that Care got dinged by the judges for . . . 1/2 inch too short. She still uses it, as she had a waistband put in that allows her to pull it down that 1/2 inch. Hence the Kippy belt that covers the repair/addition of the waistband.

5. jon

jon Member

Would be interesting to see people competing in actual authentic country garb such as frocks and gingham shirts. But I guess it's more important to be "country" by whatever contrived definition has been arrived at by the UCWDC :)

6. pygmalion

I was wondering how UCWDC derived whatever rules they're using. :?

7. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Being that competitive country is performance just like ballroom...we want to be as showy as the rest of you guys :) If you look back at Country music outfits of the past...there is sparkle all over the place.

So these are "performance" clothes. I would say the definition probably falls more towards "Western" than it does "Country."

Apparently, the important thing is really to have some sort of "yoke" design.

I didn't make the rules...and they have evolved from what I understand.

Well...now that I haven't really answered anything.....

8. pygmalion

I can't help much with the tops. No yokes. Try these links for pants and skirts (and a a couple dresses.) All priced fairly affordably.

notablyunique.com (mostly stuff in stock for immediate purchase)
    danceglam.com (contact them. They make it for you, fairly quickly. Just not in stock.)

More links to come.

9. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Jenn,
    You are so awesome. WE can make up our own yokes. We can create the design ourselves. Can be zig zag or a "Z...or anything like that. Doesn't have to be the traditional "V" yoke that most people think of.

We have fun with different designs.

10. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Could the yoke consist only of a stoning pattern, rather than an actual sewn in panel? Of course a lot of the costume pics seem to show couple's outfits, perhaps with matching yokes, and it might be harder to find something for the man which could be converted with a stoned yoke.

11. AnnieMarie

AnnieMarie New Member

Chris,
    I believe so. It just has to be a deliniation of some sort.

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I think so as well . . . I have a full-back vest, and the yoke is defined by the stoning . . .

13. pygmalion

I like this link, too, especially for the pictures that give design ideas. Some of the costumes are incredibly skimpy, but they run the whole gamut from bikini-like two-piece outfits to full Latin dresses. The nice thing is all the color combinations and different cuts that can help give you ideas. They're discount Latin costumes, and, just in case you decide to buy something, everything is under $500. They also do custom designs.

http://w w w.ballroomcostumes.com/catalogue_main.php

Speaking of things, I wonder if there are any standard issue patterns out there that are suitable for ballroom or country costumes. Hmm.

(btw, is anybody out there a square dancer? I saw some outrageously prairie-looking costumes on the web. You know, those skirts with the multi-tiered flounces and petticoats underneath. Are those still the right costume for square dance. and btw, did you know that square dance is one of the most prevalnt state dances in the US?)

14. jon

jon Member

I haven't done MWSD for about 10 years but when I occasionally see people doing it there are still a bunch of crinolines. However the stylized costumes and matching garb for married couples and so on are perceived pretty negatively by a lot of younger folks, so overall I think the dress code has relaxed a bunch.

The "state dance" thing is completely artificial, but harmless. Because MWSD is so well organized an activity, they were able to lobby state legislators to introduce these resolutions in many states.

15. pygmalion

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the lobbyist connection with the state dance thing. I am surprised, but I shouldn't be. Hmm. I wonder if individual cities can have official dances. For example, the Pennsylvania state dance is square dance, I think. But several major metropolitan areas are full of people who've probably never even heard of it, much less done it. So why can't Philly's state dance be jitterbug, and Pittsburgh's dance be polka? (Sorry. I'm totally off point.)

About square dance, if the dress code is relaxing dramatically, I find it kind of sad. To me, square dancers are the folk dance representatives of the US. Have you ever been to the Folk Fair? It has reps from all over the world doing traditional dance, mostly, in traditional costumes. To me, the US equivalent is square dance. Who will represent the US, if the square dancers start wearing spandex? Just a thought.

16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

WCS is the CA state dance! :D

17. jon

jon Member

Depends on how authentic you want to be. MWSD as it exists today is way out of touch with its folk dance roots, and the costuming is not how people would have looked at barn dances in the 1800s. I guess you could say the crinolines and bola ties and faux-pearl shirt buttons are "traditional costumes", but the tradition doesn't go back further than the mid-1900s if so.

Kinda the same thing with country dancing in another thread, the costumes on the competitors have about nada to do with how actual "folks dancing" would have dressed in the honky-tonks back when Texas Two-Step was being invented.

Re state dances, CA actually has both a "state dance" (WCS) and a "state folk dance" (square dancing). Of course it also has a "state aquatic mammal" and "state mineral" and several dozen other "state somethings" that satisfy some small vocal group of voters with harmless recognition.

Now if we required the governor to perform the state dance during his inauguration ceremony, that would be cool! Reminds me of the 1992 election, Perot might have been a nutcase but at least he danced well with his wife after his concession speech :)

18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I don't think there are any set "patterns" for country outfits . . . I've seen so-o-o many variations . . . from slinky Latin to the ballroom look - with yokes, of course!

By the way . . . Carolyn was very deep into square dancing when we met . . . she was on a Dance team out of the Bay Area for about 10 years!

She must have had about 30 of those "UGLE" outfits with the layers of petticoats. She either boxed them up and put them away or gave them to Goodwill or burned them. I'm not sure . . . :?:

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Umm, wouldn't giving those to Goodwill be somewhat oxymoronic? :lol:

20. pygmalion

That donation might be a very philanthropic thing, SD. Several of my former dance teachers used to get their costumes for various studio events ... from Goodwill. :wink: :lol:

Say what you will about square dance costumes (meaning, I admit they're ugly) the dance is still cool, in a vintage, valuing one's heritage kind of way. :wink: :D