Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

It seems almost a necessity for competitors to have a tan. When you see someone who is not tan, they stick out like a sore thumb.

What do you think about this?

What do you do to make sure you are dark?
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Actually, I've got the dark enough issue covered, no tan-in-a-bottle required! :lol:

But yes, as a rule, competitors do need that fake tan. Just make sure it's not too orange. Yuck!

As a matter of interest, Corky Ballas mentioned the need for a good tan on the "Judge's View" video. Incidentally, that video is worth a watch, if you want to compete. Very interesting to hear several ballroom judges talk about what they look for in competitive dancers. Every single one mentioned dancing with the music. Like, duh! But I guess it must be an issue.
  3. pygmalion

Just out of curiosity, where did all this fake stuff start anyway? I can see why women's makeup is of theatrical proportions -- so you can see them and their facial expressions from a distance. But why does everybody have to be brown, when so few ballroom competitors are naturally brown? Why not just be white or whatever color you naturally are? Who started all this stuff, anyway?
  4. DanceMentor

I think it has do do with the lighting. Usually, there is an intense amout of light on the competitors, causing them to look more washed out than normal.
  5. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

You got me :? ? I don't understand why everyone needs to be tanned, like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. What has the color of your skin got to do with your ability to dance?
  6. DanceMentor

My favorite bread is called Hemp bread. It's in the health food section. Every slice is loaded with protein and fiber.

That's one thing I like about swing dancers. They don't worry about things like this. They just dance.
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Jenn,
    Now why did I know you'd be the first to answer this???

I'm Italian, kinda of olive-toned skin, but for the life of me, I've never ever heard of "getting a tan for competition." I certainly-absolutely-even though we have a pool in the back yard - stay out of the sun!

I've won competitions w/o tanning, so is it just the ballroom people that do this? The ballroom comps that I've been to . . . all the top dancers appear to have a tan!
  8. DanceMentor

I have one of those complexions that does not get tan easily. I've never gone to extremes to get a tan, but I've never won a major event either. I'm wondering if it make THAT big of a difference. I also wonder about the color of the clothes you wear. Would wearing black vs. white make a difference as far as contrast with the skin color?
  9. pygmalion

I don't know if it's just ballroom people, but I'll tell ya, I found that judge's view video to be so enlightening. Totally amazing to me how many superficial things were mentioned. Things like manicures, and costumes, and hair, and tans. Like what does that have to do with dancing? :? But most of the judges mentioned it. Can't figure it out myself.
  10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Come to think of it . . . I cannot ever recall seeing someone who competed that looked frumpy - costume (any aspect of), unshined or dirty shoes, messy hair - ever win. It was always someone who had their self together, but neither gender, nor size, nor skin color had anything to do with them winning, or as a matter of fact, losing.
  11. pygmalion

That's true. It's like a job interview. Poor grooming will eliminate you right away. But once you get past that, you have to bring and sell your skills, right? So same thing with dance competition (I hope :? ). You bring the total good-looking package so that you don't get eliminated, but hopefully it's your skills that win or lose for you. Please tell me this is how it is, Vince (or others).
  12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

It's true. It's the whole package, and you can be judged from the moment you step out on the floor. So, be on your toes! Never ever give anything less than the biggest smile you can muster up! Turn the nervousness into energy!

Remember those things that I gave you a while back.

"You know what to do . . . as Dr. Laura says . . . now go do it!
  13. smoothdancingirl

smoothdancingirl New Member

The reason many tan is so they don't look pasty on the floor. Usually it's the Latin or Rhythm competitors that have those dark tans. Personally I feel more comfortable wearing a skimpy latin costume if I'm tan. Much like wearing a bikini in the summer. I think it's kind of gross to pasty white legs dancing around in front of you. Plus it also hides skin flaws like broken blood vessels and bruises which are pretty commmon with the lady dancers. If your just dancing smooth or standard and your costume covers you up you don't really need to tan if you have healthy color to your face. Remember PASTY IS OUT!!! :lol:
  14. pygmalion

I hadn't thought about the Latin/standard difference. But you're right. I've seen many photos of standard dance competitors looking quite white! :D The Latin dancers are always brown. (Or orange, if the tanning solution didn't work right :lol: )
  15. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

I highly suggest the Mystic Tanning spray on tan booth. It gives an even golden brown (not orangy) color in seconds. It washes off in about a week and a half so if you only tan for comps you can get rid of it easily. I like the look of tans, and I also believe it has something to do with not being washed out. The competitive dance world is sad to say, very vain. much like the modeling and acting world.
  16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here is what I look like normally. I am very pale. Steve calls me "see-through". I prefer to not have to tan...I swore I would never tan...I hate tanning from a bottle (smelly,messy,ruins sheets and clothes,look weird at grocery store...) but it is impossible for me to tan naturally.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So I use ProTan. And when I use it I actually look fine on the comp floor. You can actually see the muscle definition in my back and arms and legs. Which is why the bodybuilders always tan to impossible darkness. The shadows on the skin actually show up and help define the muscles. Without a tan the light just bounces and reflects in the valleys creating a very smooth non-muscular (pasty) apperance.

So for a few comps this summer I decided to brave the beast and go sans tan.

[​IMG]

UUGGH...I look horrible...I actually glow. I learned my lesson and began tanning as soon as I saw this picture.
  17. pygmalion

Actually, I think you like quite nice with or without a tan, but, looking at your competition photo, can see why you choose to tan. You do look healthier.

It's an interesting point you make about muscle definition. I hadn't thought about that before, but it makes sense. And the muscle definition in your back definitely does show with your pro-tan on.

Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks. :D

Jenn
  18. pygmalion

See? I did think about it. Is showing off muscle definition and body movement why Latin costumes are so skimpy? Anyone have a thought on this?
  19. dolceamore

dolceamore New Member

i am pale as pale can be lol. and i always wondered why you had to be tan. coaches and other dancers told me that, well, when you think of latin dances like cha cha ,samba, rumba, etc. you think of latin girls and guys with dark skin, like in brazil with the samba. i guess latin dancers are supposed to LOOK latin. it's all about acting on the floor. it's sexier to have a tan also. i personally HATE tanning. but you gotta do it.

what i dont uderstand is why standard people need tans. i dunno :?:
  20. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

I agree totally on the "looking Latin" part, dolceamore. A lot of the more advanced people on my team tan like crazy, and many of them dye their hair dark brown or black :shock: Yes, it can get a bit nuts sometimes, which is sad because it seems like anymore a good dancer will be overlooked if they don't have the right "look". Which is why I really admire one of my coaches, the fabulous Dan Rutherford, who is one of the top american rhythm pros in the nation...you see, Dan is BLONDE. In Latin and Rhythm, this is almost taboo, as you can look at a competition floor and see that most of the competitors are either brunette or raven-haired. I remember him saying in an interview once that over the years, many people had encouraged him to dye his hair to "fit in" with the standard created for latin and rhythm dancers, but he refused, saying that he liked being blonde and that it made him stand out more. And now he is recognized worldwide as one of the best rhythm dancers. I guess it goes to show that looks don't dictate EVERYTHING in dancing...