Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I wondered about the hair color thing when I was watching faking it last week, and the young lady had her hair color changed. So what'e the deal with hair color anyway? One of my coaches, a ranked smooth competitor, has almost candy apple red hair. Is the hair color convention different for Latin than for smooth?
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

A general rule seems to be to have a "positive" color -- i.e. black, blond, or red. Brown, apparently, seems to be considered too nondescript. This rule does seem to be more applicable to Latin though...
  3. pygmalion

Yes! I'm going to dye my hair blond! :shock: Just kidding. I think I might consider black, though. That's a nice look, and a little more distinctive than my current brown.

Oh, the things dance competitors go through! :lol: :lol:
  4. cowpaste

cowpaste New Member

I highly suggest that none of you go to a tanning salon. The risks are just too great. Use those fake tan lotions. A bunch of people probably will say I'm just worring too much, but keep in mind that those cancers appear much later on in life. Tanning is like smoking for your skin. I've felt this way ever since my teacher in high school got skin cancer and had a huge chunk of skin removed from his arm. Trust me, white skin will always look better than no skin.
  5. dolceamore

dolceamore New Member

i TOTALLY agree with cowpaste. i love studying medical stuff and that's a major cause of skin cancer. SO DONT GO TO TANNING BEDS!

and yeah, i was told that "the look" for latin dancers is eaither Black or Blonde(almost white, like Olga Rodionovas hair)
    so my coaches told me to dye my hair black, AND I DID. it looks better on the floor. i dunno why. :?: :D
  6. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

You don't know why? Okay, well, here's at least one reason I can think of from personal epxerience:

So the audience can see where your white collar ends and your skin begins

I guess another good reason to be tan in standard is so that the judges think you're Italian and mark you higher ;)
  7. samba ajr

samba ajr New Member

:lol: :lol:

I was wondering about the rhythm/smooth problem myself. I did add a little bottled color for my last comp (not much, I chickened out). You know, my rhythm dress had sleeves, but my smooth gown didn't--so I actually needed it more for the gown. I'm very pale and if you show any bit of skin, a tan just looks more healthy--at least under the lights!!

(I'm going back to check my pictures to see if I created any ghostly images). By the way, my pro partner is Peruvian--we create quite a contrast!
  8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

While I can understand the arguments for skin color tanning, such as increased muscular definition, and fighting the harsh lights, I don't see any other such sensible arguments being made for hair color change!! I'm completely against dying your hair to "fit in"!! I didn't like how the young lady, Joe, in "Faking It" looked after getting her hair dyed. Yuck. I guess I'm lucky that I'm one of the brown people so don't have to think about such things. :)
  9. twodance

twodance New Member

When you place in the finals of any comp. all of you are good enough to be there. The judges have to find a way to place each couple. Even if it means judging their costumes, hair or any other grooming flaws. Most of us professional competitors use 'Pro Tan'. It dosen't look orange and lasts for weeks.
  10. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

Alright, all this talk of skin color and hair color got me thinking even more specifically about appearance, and now I'm beginning to wonder: what type of hair LENGTH works best for competitive dancing? Is it easier for women to have long hair that they can pull back, or short hair that can be neatly gelled into place? Should guys have neatly gelled hair, or should they grow it out to look more "Latin"? I am a bit curious myself, as I have a bit longer than chin-length hair and some people on my team have been encouraging me to grow it out or cut it REALLY short. What do you all think?
  11. pygmalion

Everybody I've seen has either a short, short bob, or long hair arranged in some sort of bun. I'm sure there are other alternatives, I just haven't seen many others.
  12. Porfirio Landeros

Hmmm, that does depend which styles a guy is participating in...

This, as with all the other points in this thread, matters to some judges, while others could care less.

My coach, who is a judge, too, does not like my hair long enough in the back to touch the collar of a dress shirt (for smooth and standard). But for Latin, she has a male student that has a pony tail.

If you're doing both styles, then you probably have to lean more toward a conservative Standard look.

Bottom line, as long as it's neat, I think you can get away with a lot more, if it fits the personality of your dancing.

I've seen guys getting away with longer sideburns, but gotees and mustaches are pretty rare (I've competed with a gotee only once).

I guess I'm a contradiction, because even though I'm Latino, I would probably have to modify my appearance to look more "Latin" considering the trends in Latin dancesport.
  13. pygmalion

I can relate, Porfirio. You'll never know how many people told me I wasn't "Black enough," whatever that means. :x

That said, how would you chage your look to look more Latin? Skin color? hair color? Costumes?

It really matters to us pretenders. :shock: :lol:
  14. Porfirio Landeros

Yeah, I'd have to to be tanner for sure. Hair a bit longer and gel'd all messy. Then, a very tight shirt, that could very well be purchase from Forever 21 ;)

I should be entering Cumbia contests... not BALLROOM :!:
  15. ricodancer

ricodancer New Member

Isn't it interesting that only competition ballroom dancers and competition bodybuilders do the fake tan thing. Perhaps there is a narcissistic connection. Myself, being a nightowl, I have to settle for a fake moon-tan.
  16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Or perhaps not? Very few, if any, ballroom dancers seem to actually like this aspect of competitive dancing...
  17. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

It's probably their way of saying "sistah you ain't got no soul"......

Not that that's true mind you.......... But at least they aren't saing you are "too white"..... 8)
  18. pygmalion

I've heard that one before too, and I just don't care. The whole ballroom thing is something that many of my friends don't get. To some of them, I should be out shaking it in a club. (Which I do, from time to time.) But they just don't understand why ballroom is the life for me, so I don't bother to try to explain. I just do it, because it makes me happy.
  19. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I personally think that all of you are barking up hte wrong tree . . . unless, you only have competing to always win in mind.

Is that what this thread is all about? I jumped in at the end because it peaked my interest about some research that I'm doing . . .
  20. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

When I was in high school, the big t-shirt slogan was "it's a black thang, you wouldn't understand".... I think that dates me a bit because the term "african American had not quite hit Atlanta yet... LOL

I always found that type of statement revolting, but I've adapted it for my own use at times with Ballroom-haters, teeheehee...

"It's a Ballroom thang.... You wouldn't understand!" 8)