Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

I think glitter is cute on kids. However, on adults, I am not too sure.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I might use a little shimmery eye powder/highlighter if I'm doing really detailed makeup (not sparkly, but a more irridescent highlight on the eyes and cheekbones), and I know I've seen some of the Latin pro women use a body-tanner with some shimmer to it, but actual GLITTER? Er. It would be a very fine line between a little sparkle and looking like Miss Abby's Dance School for Prosti-tots.

3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I should say shimmer rather than glitter, like the shimmering body powder you can wear for everyday use it tends to be a little more subtle than straight out glitter but still give you a little extra eye catching look.

4. billman

billman Active Member

My partner and I are wondering if we should tan for an upcoming competition. We will be focusing on American Smooth and will also do some rhythm.
    Should we tan?

5. mindputtee

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yep especially for rhythm

7. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I actually didn't tan this weekend for our competition, since I was still somewhat tan from last week and we were only dancing smooth and I just felt so...... white. :-/ Especially compared to some people who tend to get darker than I do even when I tan.....

8. BreAna

BreAna Member

I live in Florida for most of the year so tanning isn't really an issue, but tan lines are. I know I could just go to a salon, but I don't actively try to stay tan, I just like going to the beach and pool. Has anyone tried using a tanning lotion (without going to a salon, just a fake tan product) to cover up tan lines? I worry that the tones won't quite match. Would a spray tan even out my skin tones? ugh I don't want to look orange when I already have a natural glow.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I more or less didn't this last weekend (I managed four hours before I had to wash the ProTan off, which was not enough to get me very dark at all. Just ultimately not with the risk of another breakout.) I did not see a lot of people super-dark in my level (Bronze). Which is nice as hopefully it means outside the Open divisions maybe there is a trend away from dyeing oneself into a different ethnic group.

10. Mr 4 styles

yes

11. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

Luckily, I naturally have the Latin "look" (being born Boricua will often do that LOL), but my skin does get a bit paler in the winter. For past comps and showcases, I've just gone to Beach Bum and laid in a tanning bed or standup booth (mainly only because a. as opposed to most people I dance with, I actually CAN ;) b. spray tans freak me out), but lately I've been thinking about fake baking because my mom has been having a heart attack and hollering about cancer every time I tell her I've tanned "naturally". And if any, I want to try the St. Tropez tanner because I've heard it's the one pros use and it doesn't stain your clothes and doesn't make you look orange. Anyone ever used it?

And another thing - this might have been old, but someone mentioned wearing shimmer tan. I've also been wanting to try dancing with cocoa butter vitalizing gel body oil, because I've read that using this kind of body oil stuff makes your body look tighter and more toned. Thoughts?

12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm wearing St. Tropez dark bronzing mousse in my avatar pic. I'm somewhat orange in it, but part of it is the lighting, and part of it is my overdoing it. I will say that I need to dig out the picture I have of my hand when I used it. Turns out, when they say you're not supposed to leave the stuff on your palms, there's a darned good reason for it. It'd give the board a laugh. :)

13. Mr 4 styles

kate sommerville has a tan towel type product that is very nice and you can titrate it by how many you use

14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I've found that Banana Boat Deep Dark Tan works GREAT for me. If put on in multiple, thin layers, it gets me as dark as I could possibly want without streaks. And, as long as it is not applied on the day of a comp, it won't stain clothing.

15. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Ok, I broke down and dug this picture up. I'm pretty sure it'll amuse some of y'all. Maybe it'll even save some other poor sap a bit of trouble. If memory serves, I took this picture the day before I left for Millenium this last summer. It was my first Big Comp, and I decided I wanted to do it right. As such, this was the first time I fake tanned. It turns out, when they tell you that you're not supposed to leave the solution on your palms, there might just be a reason for it.

[​IMG]

My teacher introduced me to several people while I was in Tampa, and the introduction was always followed by her gleefully adding, "omg, show them your hands!" After the fact, she told me about a conversation she apparently had with one of her friends. It went something like:

Instructor's Friend: Do you have any students here this year.
    Instructor: Just the one.
    Instructor's Friend: Oh, that's right. The cute guy with the hands.

Suffice it to say, my instant reaction to this anecdote was, "If it came with the first part, I will totally take the second part."

:)

16. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

I always found tanning very interesting. I read somewhere that Latin dancers tan a lot because they want to look more "latin" which sounds crazy, but I think that is one of the many reasons people do tan. I have also met people who dyed their hair black to look more latin which seems a bit extreme to me.

17. mindputtee

Despite my best attempts, every tanning session ends with orange palms for me. Multiple hand washing in the middle, exfoliating them after, etc. still orange palms.

ETA: The picture wasn't loading before but now it did, those are SOME hands!

18. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Hands thing happened to me the first time I ever tanned...never again lol.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Spray tan or lotion?

20. Janson

Janson Active Member

Gloves might be an idea for next time!

I've never tanned myself, although I did wear a small amount of bronzer for a couple of the bigger competitions. It's not hugely done at my level, but I wouldn't mind looking a bit browner - it makes you stand out for commitment a bit! I'll probably just try some form of foundation/bronzer (I'm a guy, I don't know about all these things!), rather than a full fake tan.