Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Darker tans can make you look thinner. With girls especially that does matter. Black hair is just eye-grabbing because it's not very natural (like the screaming reds or bottle blondes.) REAL tans can be tricky because they do age you really fast (darker skin is an aging thing, and the sun does make real wrinkles worse) but overall they make you look thing. It's like using the shimmer can make you look a little more toned.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

and yet, I have also know latin women who had dark hair who decided to dye it blond....shrug....regarding tanning; for me, I tan (as in tanning bed tan) because, 1) I am a big girl and it does make the legs and bulk look better, 2) I sweat like a beast and I do not care to sweat fake tanner and make up all over gowns that have cost me thousands of dollars, 3) I have at least some seasonal affect and a lot of muscle soreness both of which respond well to tanning 4) I do not burn and have no family history of skin cancer....I am aware that is no guarantee and I don't take that lightly.... just explaining why I am willing to roll the dice on it....lastly, I am aging, and I have never had beautiful skin...so I accept those eventualities as unfortunate inevitabilities
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Interesting. While I have a natural skin tone of dark - bathing suit lines drive me nuts. really.
    I tend to wear fish-nets to even out leg skin tone.
    I cannot begin to count, over the years, the number of "you have a really nice tan, how did you get it?" comments to which my reply is...oh...it's called "heredity"...it's a nice ice breaker, wink.
  4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

When I tan, I always wear those rubber medical gloves you can buy in a drug store. I have never had a problem with getting tanner on my palms. When I finish tanning my body, I put a little tanner on the backs of my hands and use them to rub the tanner evenly over my hands and fingers. I do this really only on the last day as hands tend to tan really easily (I do sometimes put a diluted solution on my hands on earlier tanning sessions). I rub lotion (not of the tanning kind) on my fingernails so they don't turn orange.

Before I even start tanning, I put plain lotion on my hands and other "problem areas" (knees, feet, ankles, wrists, armpits) to dilute any solution that goes on there.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

or steal from your own office...:eek:;)
    smidra86 likes this.
  6. danceronice

Natural tanning has the benefit of SMELLING better, fasc...I have never found any sort of tanner or spray makeup that doesn't stink to one degree or another. But I enjoy people always thinking I'm ten years younger than I am, so even if my dermatologist WOULDN'T rip me a new one...

I think people dye their hair a color they think will be eye-catching and generally one that works for them (I go black because it's dramatic and because bright red or platinum blonde would look really, really bad on me. I was not meant to have cornsilk hair. :( )
  7. fascination

don't get me wrong....if I had flawless ivory skin, I wouldn't be tanning either....

as to hair, sadly I see lots of women opt for a hair color that looks gross on them thinking it will be an improvement on the floor...and I think it is very rare that they are correct...I am all for going more extreme for the floor, but, even then, one has to pick an extreme, as you have, that is an improvement, not jarringly bad with one's coloring
  8. danceronice

I still envy the blondes, though. ;) But I know better--I've had even professional stylists say, at best, "Um...I wouldn't" regarding going too much lighter than what my hair is now. Part of that I'm sure is the guy who did my hair for my best friend's wedding pointed out to even do highlights he'd have to bleach-strip my hair, so going lighter would be a technical challenge, but it would just look wrong on my skin tone, too.

And I don't have GREAT skin, but I have very YOUNG skin--got my great-grandmother's genes for that, and probably some from Dad's side, too (I wish I'd gotten his gray-hair genes, as like Mom I started getting grays in my twenties.) Especially if I'm a little over my idea weight, people think I'm younger than I am. Not sure if that works out in the A division or not.
  9. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

It's a spray, but I have to even it out by rubbing it in.

I've never had a problem with those areas, I always exfoliate very well before. I've been meaning to try the gloves out, I just never remember to buy them in time and then it's a day or two before the competition and I realize I haven't tanned yet.
  10. mindputtee

I actually kind of like the way my tanner smells (when it's not in the super concentrated gaseous phase). It's "cocoa vanilla" and the combination of that and my coconut oil body scrub makes me feel like a samoa :)
  11. fascination

I have virtually no experience with tanner...I had to get some one time when I was asked to do a comp at the last minute and I had very little base tan going....I bought some jergens rub in stuff and some spray that I think was nuetrogena...neither smelled particularly bad to me, then again, I also slathered on some coconut smelling body glitter afterward, so...not sure I would have noticed

as to dark brunette going blonde...yea, I feel you on that...I think you'd have to go white to not have it be awful on your skin...I have the same issue with red.....anything that says copper on it looks HIDEOUS on me...I can do strawberry blonde with streaks if I have a tan...but that is as warm as I can go....but red is a calamity, platinum really ages me, and well, I just can't even wrap my mind around going dark
  12. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

It gets the smell of smoke out of the walls of your apartment though... Sort of.... The first week I moved into my new place, the previous guy used to smoke inside so the walls smelled gross and I had to get ready for a competition the first week, so I tanned and the tanner definitely smelled better than the smoke.
  13. letsdance101

letsdance101 Active Member

ohh okay that makes sense... I wish I was tan I actually have tanner on now :) I'm really white and blonde... I feel colorless. I kinda wish I was a brunette or had black hair

I have use neutrogena then I use the gradual jergens stuff after I have started the tan with neutrogena. I am looking for a different tanner though that looks more natural. I have heard that Banana Boat: Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion looks natural and leans more towards brown than orange.
  14. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Banana Boat looks very natural, and it does lean more toward brown than orange. I always get lots of compliments on my skin tone when I've used it. :)
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

When I first started proam, I did not tan, because I felt I had enough natural color that it would not be necessary for me to tan. After the first couple of competitions, I was told by many that I still needed to tan. I get a spray tan and it does even things out ( I don't wear fishnets), but I wish the "everyone must tan" unofficial rule was changed to a personal preference. I would much prefer not to tan.. whether spraytan, tanning bed or sun, it isn't healthy and is just something else to add to my precomp preparation list.
    5678dance likes this.
  16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Lately I've been using DHA powder to tan...I take a gradual tanning lotion that I just buy at the chemist, and put a whole bunch of the powder in there. Gets really dark, really quickly. To even it up I spray over the top the next day or put another coat on if I have time.

I do tend to use gloves when I apply it...otherwise my hands get really orange, and it's not pretty.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yum! :D

I can give you some latex gloves to try out, if you like. (I use them for working on my car, to avoid getting greasy hands. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.)
  18. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I do that too. DHA powder mixed with regular ol' body lotion. I like that I can control the amount of DHA in it. I can get a good base coat with 2 applications (my skin is very stubborn to tan, so this is a big deal), then day of, I put on some sex symbol to add shimmer and even out the look. I am contemplating seeing what I look like with just the sex symbol on as it would be way more convenient to just do that day of and then wash it off.
  19. danceronice

It would be nice, especially since I ran afoul of not being able to tan--I won't tan in the sun or a bed, and there's no real way to tell the judges "Sorry, spend last week dealing with a severe allergy that included hives, I really tried as long as I could with the ProTan but it wasn't happening." (Not to mention I think pale is prettier on men or women, though I do admit some pale blondes can really rock the tan look. Brunettes look better very pale.)
  20. mindputtee

Yes please!

I got a tiny thing of DHA powder, but it had an expiration date on it that was really close to when it arrived. Does DHA really expire, and will using expired DHA cause problems?