Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

My container says it has expired and it works just fine. I keep it stored in the fridge.

2. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Sigh. I wish tanning weren't a "thing" in ballroom. And this is coming from someone who has naturally olive skin (I don't tan at all for comps). Obviously, the make-up, hair, costumes, even the movement.... nothing about ballroom truly looks natural (at least up close), but I wish there was SOME part of the culture that didn't encourage you to change something about yourself.

Out of all the abnormal things we do to ourselves, I would veto tanning if I had a choice, because it can promote unhealthy habits.

In regards to seeing the muscles better, etc, one can brush on bronzer in the contours of muscles to highlight them (ever see dance moms where the 5 year old girls paint on abs?)

3. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I caught a video of myself dancing without a tan, but in costume, and I was not pleased with how I looked, skin wise - since I usually keep myself as pale as possible. Spray tanned for the next performance, liked it much better. But I continue to wonder if it's because i'm used to seeing tans on dancers, not that it actually does look better...

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this will never be sorted out LOL

5678dance likes this.
  5. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

IMO, it's not that it empirically looks better, its that we're trained to think that tans are more attractive.

1950s add pounds.jpg

hereKittyKitty likes this.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Heh. "Skinny? Add Five Pounds Of Curves the Easy Way"? Problems I WISH I had...

fascination likes this.
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I do think that's part of it, but I'm not sure that's it in its entirety. I've always been told that part of the reason for the tans is that it's easy to look washed out under the bright lights on the competition floor. Looking through my pictures from Bethesda, which I did not tan for, I can kind of see the point. There are plenty where I look fine (particularly if you ignore the things I'm doing wrong with my dancing, haha), but there are definitely some where I look downright corpse-like. And while my skin is a long way from olive, my complexion isn't really ghost-like either.

That is not, of course, to say that the culture doesn't encourage people taking things way past the minimum point required to look healthy on the dance floor.

8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I didn't really get it until competing at my first NDCA comp with the spotlights and everything. Collegiate comps are held in usually badly-lit college gyms, and even the USAD comps I've been to in general don't utilize a spotlight or super powerful stage lights. I can see the need for the tans then -- I have a naturally tan complexion and even I felt a bit washed out.

9. danceronice

Thing is I can fix a washed-out face with regular makeup (it's not as much the foundation as how you do the eyes and highlighting) while still being prettily pale, that's just stage makeup tricks to make your eyes and lips stand out, but I can see where that might be an issue for men...

And even the washed-out argument doesn't really justify being baked to burnt umber even if your natural skin tone is more Nordic. There definitely is a conditioning/fashion element to it (before "tan" meant "healthy", however inaccurate that is from a medical standpoint, pale was fashionable because tan meant you were someone who had to do menial labor and couldn't stay in out of the sun. Sort of like being skinny didn't used to mean you were fashionably slim, it meant you were too poor to eat right.)

5678dance likes this.
  10. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

My skin has a tendency to look slightly green when I am untanned (I have a mixture of Middle Eastern and Eastern European genes, so I have lighter skin with olive undertones, but when I am out in the sun a lot, I get really tan). Seeing as I am not crazy about bombarding my skin with UV rays unnecessarily, artificial browning is the way to go. I still need to nail down the exact tanning concoction or combination thereof to get the proper sear, as it were (the reaction between DHA and your skin is similar to the Maillard reaction, which is what makes things brown when you cook them), without looking like a clementine, but I'm getting there.

j_alexandra likes this.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the differences between various tanners are besides dha content? What specifically makes some more golden and some more orange, even after washing off the original product?

12. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

As best I can tell, magic.

It might have to do with the other chemicals in the product. I think alcohol can increase the potency of the DHA-epidermis reaction, for example.

13. danceronice

And some of it's how each tanner reacts to your skin chemistry--I was given a can of AeroTan Sex Symbol by a roommate at a comp because on ME, it looks gold. On HER, it comes out Oompa Loompa orange.

pygmalion likes this.
  14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

A question, what about light colored dresses? My new dress is kind of pastel pink and green:
    [​IMG]

I didn't tan for this competition, should I tan for the next?

15. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Truth? I think the pink makes you look a little pale, but I don't think you need to go for nineteen coats of whatever. A coat or two should be fine. :)

Beautiful hair, btw. :)

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

actually, I think you look just fine :)...and I tan..you seem to have a lot of color there...and a color that is beautiful next to that dress

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think he could actually use a bit of darker powder or something

18. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Looks fine to me. I don't think Anastasia Muravyeva tans. She always looks natural and it looks great.

danceronice likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

so get drunk before you tan???

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  20. Mr 4 styles

maybe a little ...but the vampire you are dancing with should!:eek: