Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

tanning is least important in standard IMO

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Lol, this was our "rookie-vet" event, it just happened to be the best view of my paleness. I don't think we'll be convincing him to tan anytime soon, he's still becoming acclimated to the ballroom world.

Reviews seemed to be mixed, I guess it'll depend on how much time I have leading up to the next comp.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

A lot of it depends on what color gown you're wearing. I have one that looks *blech* on me unless I fake tan.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

honestly, I think you are fine as long as you stick to a pastel gown ....as to your partner, they have men's cream make-up/powder, I think he would benefit...but not a big deal if it freaks him out

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I dunno...she looks to have a fair bit of color here (not saying it's a Latin level tan, but not exactly goth pale):

[​IMG]

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think it depends on your partner. With "the vampire" it looks fine, but with your regular partner I think you might want to try to be a little closer to his skin tone.

7. fascination

some of us, even those of eastern european descent, are very fortunate to have a base color that is a tad on the darker side....but yea, she does look a tad enhanced there...hard to say

8. fascination

I have always had people suggest that I have some Asian ancestors because of my non tan color

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Vampire? lol

Maybe it's just my own personal preference and nothing to do with appearance on the dance floor. I think that pale colors tend to make women/people with fair complexions look washed out, especially depending on the natural undertones in their skin. In this case, I was looking at the contrast between, not MP and her partner, but between MP and another lady in her photo. In this case, I think that a little additional color certainly can't hurt, IMO. Is it needed? Maybe not. Would it go amiss? I think not. :cool:

10. Mr 4 styles

mindputtee i apologize for indelibly nicknaming your partner"the Vampire":cool:

sorta;):eek:

11. fascination

interesting because, to my eye, pale folks look much better in pale colors...my pro will not use anything...and he is translucent...but he will pink up when exerting himself...he looks far better, to my eye, in his white shirt, than in his black...and in the above photo, I thought that light pink accented the light pink in her skin...I wasn't comparing her to anyone else, I was just assessing whether or not she looked well and healthy in her own coloring in that gown and I thought it was perfect...shrug

12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's a good point, he's a fair amount darker.

[​IMG]

(the color editing on the photo makes it a little hard to tell, but on my forearm I look a little grey)

Lol, he was my "rookie" for our rookie-vet event, but I'm sure he'd get a kick out of being called that. (Someday when he's been dancing a little longer and we are trying to convince him it's time to try makeup, I might dredge up this thread to use against him :D)

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

in that case your welcome:D

14. fascination

now, in this shot, I still see good color in your back and shoulder, but not your neck...so, If that color comes and goes or is splotchy then, yea, a light misting is probably appropriate

15. Mr 4 styles

that lighting and shadow i think she is being light directly on the side of her neck looks like perhaps a flash very bright

16. fascination

yea...it's difficult to tell...one of those times when it is probably best to ask folks who have actually seen you directly

17. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I'm just gonna put it out there. I think you need to tan.

This dress, that dress, this partner, that partner, pale colors, yada yada yada... You look like me without a tan. I am pale, blonde, strawberry, ginger, daywalker, see through, whatever my stepson likes to call me.... And I simply won't go on the floor without some protan or mystic tan... or at least some neutrogena, ever again.

Mr 4 styles and pygmalion like this.
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks for saying this. I was trying not to, seeing as how I don't do competitive dance and, even if I did, I'm naturally tan, so this would be a non-issue for me. I don't want to be one of those hypocritical back seat driver types (Always the spectator, never the competitor lol)

But, IMV, right now, the style is to tan. Anybody who doesn't is going to pale by comparison (pun intended.) I wouldn't want to look milky white on a floor with a bunch of folks who look like they just came back from a healthy romp on a Caribbean vacation. (Or even Ooompah Loompah ville. Even orange looks better than translucent, from a distance, to me.)

Maybe at some point, enough people will buck the trend and even very, very white people will be able to stick with natural skin tones. I don't think that has happened yet.

19. fascination

while I have not seen this lady on the floor, I have seen Larinda, and yea, I think that even with tanner, L doesn't look particularly dark, probably even still more pale than most by comparison, but not sickly...having said that, only from the photos, I don't think this poster looks lighter than L usually does with tanner ...shrug....but I would trust the opinions of experience comp dancers who have actually seen her to be the best at assessing it...

20. fascination

my guess is that Joe has seen her and possibly L, so I would trust their judgement...I can only assess the photo