Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I have indeed seen both, and both are quite fair.

To be, um, fair...I believe Mindputtee does often (usually?) tan...I think she was just being lazy for this one. :)
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Lol yes, this time I won't still be finishing a dress the night before so there will be plenty of time. I'll go back to my usual one coat of tanner for the next comp. Thank you everyone for the opinions.
    pygmalion likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LLMMMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

*grumble...jellis..grumble..*
  5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Now I'm contemplating tanning or not for future comps. We'll be doing novice/pre-champ smooth/standard, so whatever that means in terms of what is "tan enough." I normally look about like this color (video below, in the blue/brown dress). I guess seasonally that'll be as light as I get, since this was in...February last year? Thoughts? I've done it once or twice before but I hate the smell.

http : // www .youtube.com/watch?v=nnegxs4SHvo
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Well. Compared to the other couples on the floor, you don't seem glaringly pale. But on the other hand, in general the dancing I saw from these couples seemed a bit below what I would expect at that level. Perhaps many were testing the waters? That said, there are brands of fake tan that don't smell THAT bad. Which ones have you tried?

I did find your partner's shirt collar distracting, though thankfully he did not commit the mortal sin of Puffy Armpits :p

And another unsolicited opinion: your Am Foxtrot opening is *yawn*. You go through an entire long wall before things get cooking!
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What, you mean the 1970s are over? :eek:
  8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've just tried L'Oreal Sublime Bronze or something like that. Didn't want to attempt the intense stuff early on and blotch it up horribly.

Lol I never noticed anything about his shirt collar...pretty sure he just bought it last year, and it's one of those stretchy dance onesie things. Maybe shirt + that particular vest accentuated it. Or...it's supposed to be a Latin shirt? I have no idea. Something to keep in mind though, I suppose.

Disclaimer - not our usual opening at the time. So...the couple in the right bottom is my old partner & his current-at-the-time partner and he gave us their first long wall. But, since we were rightnexttoeachother we decided on the floor right then not to do the same exact routine, cause...yeah. We now have brand new choreo with a much more fun intro.
  9. mindputtee

I use bodydrench quicktan and it has a pleasant chocolatey smell. It's one of the least offensive tanners I've found (and most effective, I'm quite pale and one or two coats turn me plenty dark).

ETA: Another thing I've wondered about. People talk about "matching skin tones with your partner". Do think this is necessary?
  10. nikkitta

Well, I've commented several times on tan Fascination's oh-so-pale Pro. I think it would look odd if you were toasty brown and your partner was Irish pale, for example. And they shouldn't complain since they only have to worry about their face/neck and hands!
  11. mindputtee

I find it visually odd when partners are the exact same shade though. Ex-partner was very dark and I always felt it created an interesting contrast between us (even when I was tanned up).
  12. nikkitta

Well yeah, I suppose if it looked like both partners shared a spray-tan booth, it would be weird. Men can still benefit from some additional color though, unless as you've noted they were already born with darker skin tones. So I can see how you as a lighter-skinned blonde could perhaps get away with a less toasty brown fake tan, dependent on your gown color.
  13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I think if you're different races/ethnicities, you should not try to be the same skin tone. Maybe if you're similar skin tones naturally you should try to be about as equally tanned.

Perhaps go for "complementary" skin tones rather than "matching"?
  14. bia

bia Active Member

My personal taste is for comp floor coloring to bear some relation to natural coloring. Enough tan to avoid translucence is a good thing. But a naturally translucent person tanning enough to match a naturally dark-skinned person just looks odd to me. Not to say that extreme contrast should be the goal, either. I'd just like each partner to look good in themselves and let their coupleness show itself in their dancing (and maybe costuming) rather than skin color.
    danceronice, llamasarefuzzy and middy like this.
  15. middy

middy Well-Known Member

The lotion or the spray? Or mousse? Or...whatever else they also have, lol.
  16. mindputtee

The spray. It goes on pretty nicely and you can touch it up right before going on if need be because it has bronzer in it. I use it the night or two before, and then shower and it really evens out nicely after that. Just use gloves (and exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate) or your palms will be pumpkin colored!
  17. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Lol, yup. My old partner is african-american, and fairly dark. While I am part african american, I'm super see-through pale in the winter (sometimes genetics are just not fair!). It would look terrible for me to try and match him.
  18. nikkitta

yup, I am quite sure blackface is NOT politically correct! :jawdrop:
    Lioness likes this.
  19. Choccie

Choccie New Member

Hi have tried out using some Sally Hansen Airbrush legs today - only on arms and as far down as under bra strap as nothing else will be showing. Only went up to collar bone as thought it would be best to do neck with foundation. Just wondering about the back of my neck though? What would you recommend?
  20. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Do foundation the front and back of your neck, being careful to blend into the collar bone so as not to have an obvious line.