Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Still a bit smelly the next day...I think I'm just particularly sensitive to the smell of DHA reacting with skin. The product itself smelled great though.
  2. Sania

Sania Active Member

DHA always smells like competition to me (in a good way :) )
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Me too! Always gets me in the competition mindset, as weird as that may sound.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Not weird at all. When I've got an impending comp, I usually break out the scented lotions and such I got at the hotel of my last comp. It places my mind in the groove, so to speak.
  5. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's what my comp hairspray does for me!
  6. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I did a test run of a new hairstyle before practice, to see if it would stay up, and I guess smelled like hairspray, which made my partner remark, "You smell like competition"
  7. mindputtee

Well, I just discovered this morning that I am in fact out of (my good) tanner. I guess I'll be buying something at OSB. Protan is good, right?
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

You might want to check online too, since stuff sold at competitions has a huge markup. I just ordered a bottle of pro-tan from amazon for under $15 including shipping.
  9. mindputtee

The problem is I'm leaving in about 15 minutes!
  10. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Attending Holiday Classic this year and booked an airbrush appt with a comp vendor.
    Ha anyone done this before?
  11. Sania

Sania Active Member

I've never had it done at a comp, but I got one pre-comp the last time I competed, and it was the best ballroom tan I have ever had.
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have....
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Um, I think she was looking for a little more detail. ;)
  14. Dancing Irishman

Probably too late to be helpful, but I've always had good results with protan. Be prepared to look scary dark from the bronzer when you first put it on.
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL, agreed - just didn't know what detail she wanted..... the reply was my prompter. :rolleyes:
  16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

hehehe
    I love Jenna
  17. Dancing Irishman

That is being sent to every ballroom dancer I know!
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

What about dark skinned people? Do we need a tan too? My pro is mixed race, but he still tans before a comp. I'm Asian and have dark skin and never tan.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right...race isn't the issue, it is more about how dark you are...
    stash likes this.
  20. stash

stash Well-Known Member

If I go to the beach for a week, I don't really need to add tanner until Dec. I get dark. But otherwise, I'm pale and need assistance. So agreed, if you are already dark, no matter the race, enjoy.