Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Vince. This thread originally started out as advertised. Do competitors need to wear a tan? Meaning, tanning salons or that fake tan in a bottle stuff. Speaking of which, I know of only one main product that is used -- pro tan. Are there others? What, if any are the down sides or side effects of tanning, in a bottle or out? On the competition floor, or off?

2. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

BananaBoat spray on works great for my face...

What are the downsides of using tanning products? The staining it does to your costuming. If you want to see some serious ring around the collar, look in my dress shirt after a comp. I have also witnessed what the tanning products do to the insides of ballgowns, but as long as it stays in the lining, I guess it's okay.

I'd much rather do my laundry more often than run the risk of skin cancer from getting a UV tan.

Also, I'm only tan for when I need to be... I don't have to look like leather at the office, although, maybe it'll help me get that promotion ;-)

3. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Bain du Soleil and Banana Boat are among my faves from the bottle. I have to start tanning about 5 days before a comp, because I am so incredibly pale. I do about 3 applications a day, each day, until I get to the comp, when I'll only need one a day, at night, then I'll shower in the morning. You have to shower between application and getting dressed up, or you'll stain your dress/shirt. Don't use an instant bronzer and expect that to be enough, or stay on. Not only will it come off on your clothes, but as soon as you sweat, it will start streaking.

4. IvyAB

IvyAB Member

Of course, if you use the pro airbrush stuff, so much less hassle, it's darker, and it stays on longer!

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Thanks Jenn . . . its obvious that I didn't go back to the beginning and start reading. We do have a pool, and I'm out there quite regulary, however, after having a three-inch section of the right side of my face removed for skin cancer a year ago, my face gets zero sun on it. The rest of me does, and I do use a self-tanning lotion on my face . . . made by Neutragena!

By the way . . . I know a quite a few body builders that use canathaxathin pills . . . I have no idea if it is spelled correctly or not, but at I attempted t sound it out for these interested parties. The pills do provide a wonderful natural-looking tan, but are quite expensive!

6. pygmalion

Pills? To tan? I'll have to google that and see if I can get some info. Sounds cool. Hmm.

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yes . . . and the spelling of the product is a guess . . . widely advertised in body building magazines . . .

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Other products, like ProfiTan and Super Braun are regularly used, as is the new Mystic Tan process available at some tanning salons...

9. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

Don't even get me going on this one! I'm a hairdresser, so I have plenty of opinions ... perhaps best kept to myself. All I can say is that I see plenty of bad hair and bad tans, on the floor (& bad costumes). At the very least, there are dancers who could use some better direction.

Peace!

10. pygmalion

Oh no. I have to get you started. What is bad hair on the floor? What does it look like? and how about a bad tan? Is there such a thing as too much tan? And how about tans for Black people like myself? I can look pretty washed out under the lights myself, Black or not. Should I tan too? Talk to me about this superbimmer. I'm dying to know.

11. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

"What is bad hair on the floor? What does it look like?"

*****Bad hair ... you know it when you see it! It screams "bad hair" ... it gets in the way of the dancers line ... it distracts from the overall look ... it's over-done, or under-done. It's actually easier to describe GOOD HAIR ... hair that flatters the dancer, extends the line of the body, and compliments the total impression. Hair should not be the first thing you see, or the last! It's like a frame on a great painting ... it can be impressive, but not more so than the image it surrounds. Often, simplicity is the best guide ... hairstyles can be as individualistic as the dancers who wear them. Hairstyles must also be appropriate to the hair itself, just as much as the dancer. Don't attempt to make the hair do something it can't do well.

"and how about a bad tan? Is there such a thing as too much tan? And how about tans for Black people like myself? I can look pretty washed out under the lights myself, Black or not. Should I tan too?"

*****Bad tan ... same answer as above (almost) If it says TAN, then it's bad! If it drips down the body with perspiration, then it really bad!! If it try's to make a blue-eyed Scandinavian, look like a Latino, it's probably bad. Tanning preparations are an extension of one's makeup ... and good make-up should look like it isn't there at all. It should enhance the body, and bring out the strength of features, while looking invisible. Black actresses, and dancers definitely wear makeup, perhaps differently than whites, but the rules are the same ... to flatter the individual. In some case, a black dancer probably should use body makeup, judiciously.

By the way ... I often hear dancers comment about how they look under the lights. Have they analyzed the difference between a photographers flash (which really washes you out!), and the ballroom lighting, which is usually very diffused (seldom stage lighting) Pictures I'm shown are frequently taken by the official photographer, who captures the image as the couple dances ... usually close up, with a flash. This isn't portrait lighting, and can over-light the subject ... giving a washed out, flat look.

My advice to any serious, competitive couple ... enlist the services of a skilled professional to help "design" your look. It's as important to the total impression, as is the costuming ... and dancers routinely spend $$$ on their clothing. Spend some of that on hair & make-up. Also, be careful of some of the "competition stylists" ... I think a few of them are part of the problem. Boy am I in trouble now!!

ps - let me throw in a disclaimer ... there are ALWAYS exceptions. One of the first things I teach young hairdressers is never say never! That is why I strongly recommend consulting an expert ... every person is different, so their stage look must be designed individually!

12. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

hmmm ... I just reread my post. Am I full of it, or what!? Oh well, I told you I probably should keep it to myself :-D

Tough subject to discuss quickly ... online. Best done in person, while referring to individual specifics.

13. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Also bad hair piece! You'll see older gentlemen with a jet-black hair piece when they maybe should have picked one with some "salt n' peppa" in it. Well, maybe this is because they're using their original one from their late 30's.

The other thing is bad paint jobs on men's heads. Just as the tan can run, I've seen the "paint" run off the scalp as the guys sweat.

If Pierre Allaire (Canada) could be a returning champion on Championship Ballroom Dancing on PBS for all those years with a balding head and a mustache, why can't other guys just go "natural". :?:

14. pygmalion

That is hilarious, Porfirio. :lol: :lol: Running paint? I've never seen it, but you can bet I'll be looking for it now. :lol:

btw, Pierre Allaire is teaching at the second BYU dance camp. Intimidating, to say the least, but I'd love to get into one of his classes.

15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

He's a puusycat Jenn, don't sweat it (I took his Advanced I cha cha at the BYU camp summer before last).

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

okay, so I am willing to try anything, but when I find somethig I like it is very hard to make me switch.

BUT, I finally tried the Mystic Tan. And I LOVE IT. I was so skeptical, but so far it is the best/easiest tanning I have found.

I went yesterday evening completely snow white, and woke up this morning about as dark as three coats of Pro-Tan. But without the hassle of applying it and spilling it on my living room carpet, begging Steve to do my back, missed spots around my ankles and backs of arms, ruining clothes and sheets, black elbows, and going to work freshly painted and running brown sweat when I practice or teach.

I did pay the extra 5 dollars to get the dark setting, bypassing light and medium altogether. It was rather hard to convince the lady that I really did know what I was getting into, and yes I know that I will look a little freaky.

My only question will be to see how it fades. If it fades like protan I am not sure what to do, since the mystic tan is an all or nothing proposition. There is no way to "spot fix" the areas that need it and avoid the areas that don't.

17. pygmalion

Mystic tan? I'll have to google it.

I was looking at my comp videos and photos the other day, and I actually look kind of washed out next to some pro-tanned "white" people. :shock: I wonder if Black people use that tanning stuff too. Hmm. I know a girl who's big into the college comp circuit. I think I'll ask her. She'll probably look at me like I'm nuts. :lol: :lol:

18. pygmalion

Okay. google accomplished. Mystic tan is spray-on tan in a booth. It looks pretty cool, and quite safe. They use DHA, which has been approved and in use in bottled tanning lotion for years.

Mystic tan has a nice website that answers lots of questions. :D

19. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

there is the "Mystic Tan" and also "Mist on Tan". They seem to be essentially the same thing, just different makers.

20. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Clip-on hair!!!!! Of which I'm the queen. My hair is medium length, but I sitk it in a bun and slap on a hair pouf with about a zillion pins. ;)

My hair is fairly unruly and wouldn't stay "neatly gelled in place" on a dare......