Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I've got a gradual tanning moisturizer that I put on my face. One coat of that gets it just dark enough to look natural with the rest of my 2+ coat of full strength tanner body. Then darker makeup and bronzer.
  2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

How dark do I need to be, really?

I'm super pale at the moment (it is February, and my skin has not seen the air/sun for about 4 months), and my new dress is back and sleeve-less, so I'm aware that tanning is needed... but as I'm a standard dancer, can I get away with about 4 shades darker than natural?

Hoping to avoid needing to basically go with brown paint... really would like to get away with a few coats of at-home tanner.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

You definitely won't need to be ultra dark for standard, unless your dress is a shade that looks weird if you're not "offensively tan"
  4. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

It is not, thank goodness. And that is what I thought, but as we've crossed the T-2 weeks barrirer, I've started to question everything... I think it's part of my process :) Pro's wife's repeated comments of "you know you have to tan for the new dress, right?" are not helping.

Will continue with the start tanning Wed or Thurs for Saturday comp. plan. Unless I freak out again next week and book an emergency spray tan...
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY??? May I quote you? My teacher is on a relentless rampage to get me to use bronzer. (I am very VERY pale. VERY. Extremely. "Are you dead?" pale. Zombie pale.)
  6. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

My current pro doesn't feel it's necessary for me to get a tan. (Might have something to do with the fact that he's a nordic blond, or it might be that he feels that there are more important aspects of my dancing to worry about….)
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

She is also a teenager.
  8. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I've been tanning more often recently, but might just reserve it for larger competitions from now on. I do have my system down though, at least. Does require a friend to help me spray my back, though.
  9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Pros of hyper mobility... I can do my own back. ( downsides include my shoulders popping out of sockets while social dancing. Pick your poison I guess)
  10. For standard I find the off-the-shelve tanners just fine. You don't want to be too dark, but you want to be consistent. When the rhinestones and ballroom lights shine on you, you don't want to be a giant white light that blinds everyone. Just enough to dull out the lights a bit. The Jergens natural glow should be sufficient for your purposes, but just be sure to tan for a few days so it sticks.
    FancyFeet and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

So I tried Aery Jo out this weekend for mid-atlantic championships and I thought I'd write up a little review of it.

I did a base layer of protan on Thursday night and had a terrible splotchy mess after sleeping in it (despite giving it ample dry time, the bronzer bit of it likes to migrate). A shower evened that out well enough the next day and then I applied the Aery Jo. It was the easiest to apply of any tanners I have tried. A lot of time I find if I rub a tanner too much it starts to chunk up on my skin and pull away (despite having scrubbed my skin raw previously)- not so with Aery Jo. More blending and rubbing = more smoothness. I could also use my flat top foundation brush to buff out any splotches. I could also get a variation in color, for standard I used less and was able to blend it out to a nice color. For smooth the next day I slathered it on and matched the Chrisanne "cappuccino" color almost perfectly. If you've ever seen me pre-tan you'll know that's impressive.

As for wear- it didn't seem to splotch up too much over the course of competing, though I only danced 4 rounds the first day and then 3 the second with a reapplication in between. It did transfer some to my partner's tails/smooth suit and to the inside of my dress, but it didn't look too bad. It is however VERY sparkly. It has quite a bit of super fine gold glitter in it, which is pretty, but the inside of all my clothes are coated in sparkle now. One of my favorite parts was how easy it was to clean up though: I took my loofa and some body wash and it just came right off. I hadn't realized how brown I was until I started scrubbing it off and I could see in contrast to my natural skin color.

I really liked the color too. I have very pink undertones and most tanners end up looking jaundiced yellow on me, but I thought this stuff had a very nice color profile. It also mixed up really nicely with my foundation so I could match my face perfectly.

Pros: Great color, easy application, easy clean up
    Cons: Sparkle everywhere, some transfer to clothes and partner
    Joe likes this.
  12. Janson

Janson Active Member

My first foray into tanning last weekend.... On the recommendation of my coach a 'tinted moisturiser' was purchased. 3 applications and it seems pretty solid colour, didn't rub off or sweat off much at all which was good. Smells a little odd though, but maybe I'm just not used to that. And now 2 days after the competition just wondering when I'll be a slightly more normal colour again.
  13. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Alas, I've discovered I'm allergic to Aery Jo. I'm fine until I dance a round - warming up is fine - and then I start sneezing. It took two days of saline washes after Mid-Atlantic to get the stuff out of my sinuses and lungs.

I suspect it's the first ingredient listed, cyclopentasiloxane, which is unfortunately found in a lot of lotions and hair conditioners these days. It's also in Aerotan's SexySymbol spray, so that's out too.