Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

Call me stupid, but I just realized you were Black. If it were me, I'd probably check into some makeup that's a wee bit darker than your skin tone. I forget which cosmetic comany has a line of darker shades, but there's one at the department stores that has a good coverage (Dermablend, I think) that would probably work way much better than tanning solution for you. And it "comes off" easier..... I don't tan at all. ICK! I look horrid with a fake-o tan. And I'm as pasty as I can be under the lights! I just go 2-3 shades darker on my face, LOL!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yeah. Dermablend is good stuff. It will cover anything. And it won't sweat off. It's not water soluble, but it comes right off with the dermablend makeup remover soluntion.

3. _ruskitantzor_

_ruskitantzor_ New Member

i think you are right beucase when you are tan yuo look better. also when your white the only way the judges see you is bbucase :eek:h look a wtie speck on the floor".

4. pygmalion

He he! :lol: Even though I'm Black, I also look better tanned -- I turn a nice red/brown color that shows up better under the lights.

5. pygmalion

Looks like Mystic Tan was the recommendation, mamboqueen. :wink: A spray-on salon tanning treatment. Hmm. :wink: :D

6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Well, I've done a spray-on once and I don't remember it being called "Mystic Tan", but I'll probably do that the day before the comp. I will say, I'm glad I tried it once because I essentially had black feet and the rest of me was pretty evenly tanned. This time, I'll put some lotion on my feet so I don't look funny.

the one thing I noticed with it; my stomach looks horrible in my natural color, and I don't look quite as un-toned with the tan. I guess it "de-flabbifies" a little!

7. mamboqueen

Next time, I'll find a mystic tan place. I looked "okay" as far as the tan went; there were some blotchy areas, but I wasn't THAT dark to notice it.

I will say that there were one or two women who didn't opt for any skin darkening methods and they stood out like sore thumbs. One was particularly fair skinned and I just think her appearance would have changed dramatically with some color.

8. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm a big fan of the "Estee' Lauder Sun" brand of fake tanner. It doesn't smell gross, and it gives me very natural results. The key, of course, is to try many different brands well before your competition so you can pick the one that works best for you.

As for why Latin and Rhythm dancers tan...aside from the issue of looking pasty in their costumes, there is this somewhat amusing sterotype of Latinos that has become the norm for dancers in these divisions. That's why you'll see some people dye their hair black and slather on the fake tan -- to look "more Latin". I don't know when this came into fashion, because if you look at very old (like Bill & Bobbie Irvine era) pictures of 10 dancers and Latin dancers, you'll see everyone looking whatever way they do naturally. The most amusing thing I ever heard was a judge's comment about a friend of mine whose family is from Nicaragua. He was born there, and lived there for the first part of his life. This guy, by virture of his ethnicity and where he was born, is definitely Latino. BUT, a judge told him "you don't look Latin enough."

Fashion changes...perhaps some day the styles will change again.

9. mamboqueen

I will try the products. I chuckled over some girls in the bathroom slathering each other down with large sponges and just laughed at what we go through for this process. I'm very fair skinned, so I'm not sure I could ever really look latin, but hey, maybe I'll goof around one weekend with some haircoloring. Maybe I'll even invest in some brown contacts! That's too much about your Nicaraguan friend.

10. Laura

Laura New Member

When you go for a fake self-tanner, realize that you will have to do multiple coats to get "dark enough." You might have to do it every morning and night for three or four days before your comp.

The people who get REALLY dark use a paint-on stain, the same stuff that bodybuilders use. If you decide to go that route, buy it from a bodybuilding store rather than a ballroom store because it will be MUCH CHEAPER. A friend of mine saw Pro Tan on the web site for an online nutrition superstore and was amazed at how much less it cost than when she buys it at comps. And she was able to get all the vitamins and stuff she needed too...the site is netrition.com

11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Good site... they have some good prices, tend to give discounts on more sizable orders, and are very prompt and reliable.

12. mamboqueen

This stuff doesn't wash off in the shower??

13. Laura

Laura New Member

It does to some extent, so if you're applying multiple coats of a self-tanner over multiple days you need to be careful to not rub yourself when you shower and especially not when you dry yourself. You should also sleep in old nightclothes on old sheets, because sometimes there is staining.

If you use a paint-on body stain, like ProTan, you can paint it on the morning you compete, and then wash some of it off afterwards.

Supposedly the spray-on booth tanning systems, like Mystic Tan, are the best way to go because they aren't as messy and the results last longer. A place like that opened up down the street from me, and I'm tempted to try it before my next comp. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.

14. pygmalion

Laura, I'm so glad you joined DF. You bring a lot of practical experience to the table, and you don't mind sharing. Thanks. 8) :D

15. Laura

Laura New Member

Don't be so glad...you might get sick of me posting all the time and wonder if I have a life. I do, it just involves a high-speed DSL, a laptop with a wireless network card, and the ability to type fast and pontificate on nearly any subject :)

I like being here, though, and am so glad I stumbled across the place! So thank you! I feel warmly welcomed.

16. SDsalsaguy

I did the Mystic Tan thing for a comp back in March... not cheap, but it lived up to the hype! :D

17. tasche

tasche New Member

Alot of the palces offer good deals for buy one get one half off and usually dont expect you to use the second one up straight away

18. SDsalsaguy

Yup, that's what we did... but used the second tan three days later to get an extra layer of color. I'll have to find a different place to do the same thing next time I guess...

19. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i know i'm posting a bit late here.. and read only the 1st page.. but about the issue of tan vs. no tan.. i say definitely tan..

the issue doesnt necessarily have to do with performance/competition.. actually it can be observed on a much more basic level .. that being.. things a person does to look better/or their relative best..

white and light skin tones are nice and everything.. yet .. relatively.. i think everyone in general will look better tanned... a tanned darker shade adds to aesthetic beauty, makes the body look more appealing, defined and vigorous/healthy.. and specifically.. at least to my eyes.. more attractive.. or for lack of a better word.. more presence is projected.. so, for competition its a plus.

20. mamboqueen

Hey - has anyone seen these tan wipe-on's? I was watching TV and this infomercial came on with what look like baby wipes that apply self-tanner. If you believe what they're showing you, they look pretty good. I think they were $30 for a 4-month supply. I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried them.