Competitors need a tan?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Someone I know tried them, but she didn't seem very impressed. I think they're fine for normal people but wouldn't get her dark enough for Latin.
  2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I'm chuckling...what do you mean by "normal people?"
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

By normal people I mean non-dancers!
  4. mamboqueen

So, we're paying a lot of money to be abnormal. Kinda counter-intuitive, don't ya think??!!
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, we could go into a big discussion about the levels of narcisissm needed to be a sucessful dancesport competitor, but to keep it simple: yeah, we do spend a lot of money to be abnormal. Fortunately we do it because we enjoy being special. It's not counter-intuitive at all: why be normal, like everyone else, when you can create your own world of excitement, achievement, and self-satisfaction through dance? Nothing wrong with that, even if it does get rather expensve :)
  6. dave_aw

dave_aw New Member

Its purely practical - under lights on a comp floor you need to look a lot darker than in 'real life' to avoid looking washed out. Generally if it look normal off the floor then it'll look a little pale on the floor. I don't think its narcicism to give yourself a tan that is flaky when you go up close!
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

The fact that you bring up flakey tans proves my point :) ...by the way, I'm not saying it's bad, just that a certain level of narcissism does exist. If it didn't, dancesport would look extremely different -- or perhaps might not even exist.

I just looked up the definition of narcissism and for the purposes of this discussion I mostly mean the following: "4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits."

The full definition is:
    1. Excessive love or admiration of oneself. See Synonyms at conceit.
    2. A psychological condition characterized by self-preoccupation, lack of empathy, and unconscious deficits in self-esteem.
    3. Erotic pleasure derived from contemplation or admiration of one's own body or self, especially as a fixation on or a regression to an infantile stage of development.
    4. The attribute of the human psyche charactized by admiration of oneself but within normal limits.

However, I have seen elements of 1 and 2 in various dancers at various times.

I'm not going to go near number three.
  8. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

I agree with dave. It is purely practical. You look washed out under the theatre lights if you're not dark enough. It's either a tan or full body makeup for most ladies.

Now, I'm not going to a competition anytime soon. And I'm working on my tan by lying out at the pool every day. That's narcissism.

(Every now and then I creep to the edge of the pool to gaze at this fascinating watery creature--who seems to like me!)
  9. Betsy531

Betsy531 New Member

I've used the tan booths and they work pretty well but I recently purchased the Jet Tan home airbrush. I was skeptical but it works great! :D One coat would probably not be dark enough for competition but it is darker than what I got from the booth. The tanning solution is fairly expensive (but not outrageous) but once you do a coat or to with the airbrush you can put a few layers of a cheap drug store brand on without having to worry about missing spots or blending as much on hands and feet.
    The airbrush tool itself is only about $70-80 and after that you just have to buy the tanning solution, and the initial kit that comes with the tool has a large bottle of tanning solution as well as the barrier cream to protect nails, palms, etc. from tanning.
    I should also note that I am extremely pail and I do not tan in the sun (just burn!) but this still gives me a great tan with a natural looking color. And if you don't compete (I don't yet) one coat looks like a great natural tan for every day.
    I got mine from HSN but they now have an infomercial and a web site (I think it's jettanning.com)
  10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:nope: now why don't I believe you? :lol:

No 'english rose' for you then :wink:
  11. mamboqueen

I agree to an extent; I have a couple of friends who are on the verge of looking like leather bags, though. There is such a thing as "too much" tan.

For me, my stomache muscles were pretty much shot after having 2 kids, so while I'm not plump there or anything, having a little color on my stomache definitely makes it look a tad less soft. Maybe with enough coats, I'll get to a 12-pack *LOL
  12. Sania

Sania Active Member

Larinda, you should be able to touch up with Super Braun - it's basically the same thing in a bottle, not a spray. They sell a little sponge for application - I definitely recommend this so you don't get it on your hands and can blend it in better. You can also buy little containers of extra DHA to pump up the Super Braun for a darker color. My face always fades more quickly than any other part of my body, so I re-do it two or three times while the rest of the tan is slowy fading.

I tried the Mystic Tan once - almost froze to death when that cold spray came on, and (the annoying part) didn't get even as dark as one application of Super Braun makes me. I told them dark - perhaps they weren't listening! While I could appreciate the convenience (if it had worked for me), it cost almost as much as an entire bottle of Super Braun, which normally lasts me for 2 - 3 comps (about 6 applications or more).

For those who are interested in trying Super Braun, here's the drill:

1. the morning before the application, exfoliate knees, elbows, feet, and hands with a washcloth in the shower.

2. That night, apply a heavy duty hand cream to elbows, knees, feet, and hands. Put cuticle oil on your nails. (I suspect that a silicone hair shine product blended with hand lotion might also work well as a shield - that's what's in Mystic Tan's barrier cream, but I haven't tried it yet.) Then apply Super Braun with a sponge (I put it on all over, because I don't like to see any white patches when I'm undressed). It has a washable color built in so you can see where you are putting it.

3. Let it dry for about 5-10 minutes, then put on your pajamas and go to bed. It has never stained my sheets for me - it always comes out in the laundry.

4. The next morning, shower off and get dressed as normal.

Depending on how pale you are, you may need to repeat this. I'm very pale, so I do two to three applications before a comp.

The closest off the shelf product I've seen is the Neutrogena Instant Bronze, but it doesn't get me dark enough for competition.

Sania
  13. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sania. That sounds really doable, and fairly reasonably priced. 8) :D
  14. mamboqueen

Well, like Larinda, I went in and asked for the full-blown tan at the Mystic Tan place. I did it about 4 hours ago and while I'm definitely darker, I'm not sure I'm as dark as I "should be" for competition purposes. And I did it a week ago, a Level 2, and it seemed to fade in about 4 days. I had one small spot that dripped, but it definitely came out a lot more even and smoother than the first place I tried. It's pretty uniform, except a small area around my ankles and my elbows. I'll put more cream on them next time. Maybe in a few more hours it'll look a little darker. At least I can now sit amongst my friends who all have their beach-going tans.
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm seriously thinking of trying it, but I'm wondering how dark to go. I'm very pale (probably as pale as Larinda is naturally because I'm blonde with blue eyes). I'm dancing Smooth, but my dress has me pretty covered up. Any suggestions? Should I go for the 'natural' look so as to remove my pastyness? The thing is, I'm not actually pasty -- I'm pale but have very nice roses-and-cream skin tone. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone? I don't usually like to tan for Standard/Smooth unless I'm wearing a dress that shows a lot of skin, however an instant tan place opened up down the street from me and I'm curious to try it.
  16. tasche

tasche New Member

You could just get your arms and back done by an airbrush tan place. I ahve an airbrush machine for doing my makeup ( its lighter pressure than a regular compressor but it s apro one not ones of those qcv ones) I've tanned my legs with the DHA stuff and it comes out nicely. I would do my whole body if I could reach. I'm sure dh wouldn't be happy to do my back
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

Laura,

If it seems like fun, why not try it once? :) On the other hand, if you're happy without, that's fine too.

You and I have never met when I didn't have a tan, but I have very white skin off the floor, and I'm quite happy that way in real life - I'm a big fan of light skin on people who naturally are that way. :)

My personal take: I tan for competitions because it seems like a fun part of the whole ballroom experience (to clarify - the fun part is having not getting the tan, although as I've gotten more experienced with it, that's less and less effort) Part of what I enjoy about ballroom competition is that it's an intensification of experience - which for me includes the tan, the dramatic makeup, the glittery dresses, the physicality of dancing a lot in a short time, and the challenge of managing my own emotions so that I'm energized and optimized on the floor.

Tanning also makes me feel like a 'contendah' - just like putting on work clothes makes me feel focused and ready to work, becoming tan for a competition helps me feel ready to compete.

In my study of art history, however, I've been struck with the dramatic differences in aesthetic taste and in how people have presented themselves (for example in commissioned portraits) over the centuries, so I recognize that the general taste in the 21st century dance world for a ballroom tan is a very here and now thing. I think it all really comes down to personal choice and what makes you feel good.

I think it's also important to remember, for those of us that don't do this professionally, that this is supposed to be fun! If some aspect of it enhances your experience, go for it! If it stresses you out, then don't.

Sania
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

dh as in "da husband?" If so, just tell him it's part of the spousal job description and make him suffer. :twisted: :lol:
  19. mamboqueen

I think it's "dear husband", although I'm sure there are plenty of adjectives you could use, depending on your mood at the moment!

Laura, you probably don't "need" to be really dark for smooth, but I think a little bit of color helps because of the lighting. I'd go for the middle level because I'm afraid you'd pay money and wouldn't get much of anything at a level 1. I'm very pale, which I generally like, but not in the summer when more skin is exposed.

I seem to be darker this morning, so I'm thinking a level 3 would probably be okay for me for a comp. I don't think any amount of tan is going to make me look latin, especially with blue eyes.

You know what's odd, though. I had the tan done at around 1 pm and went dancing last night around 8:30 pm. I have have some areas of lightness where my straps are on around my ankles. So, apparently it can come off with some pressure.
  20. Gumby

Gumby New Member

That's been one of my problems with tan is that is will come off with a combination of sweat and pressure. When I do my legs/feet and later dance in closed toed shoes - I end up with nicely tanned legs and and a half moon of pink skin across the top of my foot. I have found though that I can touch this up with a cotton ball dipped in tan lotion. Use the cotton ball to swipe the area that rubbed off with tan lotion while you are getting ready for bed and it should ok by morning.

Question for those of you who use lotion rather than the mist on type - which I wasn't really thrilled with -- not enough tan for my buck - what brand of tanner do you use?

I have tried several brands and keep coming back to Coppertone - it gives me a good color (natural red head so I pratically glow in the dark without it) and reasonablly good coverage. But it takes sooo long to dry. I have recently tried the quicker drying foams but I found them a bit more streaky than the lotion and tooo drying for my face.